Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
I sense you want the K-1, if you want it get it, life is too short.

However it seems like the KP gets you close to where you want to be for at least a thousand dollars less (after camera and lens changes) . More MP, better ISO performance (not far off K-1), better AF, Pixel-shift. Better lens selection than K-1 for WA/UWA.

That all said, the K-5iis is still a dynamic range monster and unless you are doing huge fine art prints with heavy cropping would there be that much difference in final output with respect to Landscape work?
I mostly agree with you.
Though in Sweden K1 is only 400 usd more than kp!

As I said earlier if kp would be in k3 - style body, it could be a good option for me.

And I am still wondering how much I would benefit of K1's sensor....
Also would really like to try 50mm Makro-planar and 31mm on ff. But that alone is not enough to justify the cost.

07-14-2017, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #32

I have a K-3 and a K-1. I bought the K-1 for two reasons. I wanted better quality at high ISO since I shoot a lot of indoor events. And, I also wanted the ability to do wired tethering to Lightroom. It turns out that the wired tethering is painfully slow due to Ricoh using a USB 2 connection instead of a USB 3. I really did not need the 36 M pixel higher resolution of the K-1. Now my 70-200mm lens actually only gets me 200mm, instead of the 300mm equivalent of the K-3. So, if I take a picture of a speaker with the K-1 at an event where I need a real close up, I now need to crop in Lightroom to get similar results to the K-3. And the crop from the K-1 is likely to be lower resolution (but better quality). I always shoot with two bodies for events. For indoor events I have a 70-200mm 2.8 lens on the K-1, and a 17-50mm 2.8 lens on the K-3. For outdoors events I put the 70-200mm lens on the K-3 for the extra zoom of the crop sensor, and put a 28-75mm 2.8 on the K-1. The files from the K-1 are also much bigger, so you are going to need more storage. If I were doing it over I might be inclined to go with the K-P since the images look to be about as good as the K-1, the price is much lower, the files are smaller and I have a number of lenses to go with the APS-C camera.
07-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
putting aside the full frame vs. the APS-C

how do the other features of the cameras you are comparing strike you???
07-14-2017, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #34
maw
Pentaxian

Hi Ketsuppi11,

If it can be helpful I have synthesized the Pros and Cons, the price of the body is favorable, but certainly have to buy some other lens, the bill increases.
Between K1 and KP I would buy the K1, now I have the K3II but I'm looking briefly between the K1 or the next full frame.

Pros

- Great picture quality
- Great dynamic range
- Excellent signal / noise ratio
- High level construction and finishing
- Dimensions contained
- Numerous and well-studied controls
- Possibility to adjust with the eye to the viewfinder
- Integrated stabilization
- Quick, precise and responsive "reflex" autofocus with numerous adjustment options
- Dual memory card slot
- Numerous exclusive features
- Hyper Program
- Hyper Manual
- Pixel Shift Resolution
- Astrotracer
- Antialias filter simulation
- Availability of digital filters
- Full and effective wi-fi connection
- GPS receiver
- The same battery of the K3 / K3II and ...
- Last but not least 300k shots or actuations

Cons

- Weight a bit high
- Autofocus in Live View Slow
- Writing on the cards a bit slow
- Burst slow
- Lens range for full frame reduced ''Compared to Canon / Nikon / Sony''
- No 4K video shooting

07-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Waiting on a lighter/smaller K1 with better OVF for manual focus. In the meantime, my crop Pentax and FF Sony A7 will do.
07-17-2017, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I vote for the KP, which is designed for the advanced pro-style oriented hiker/biker type photographer. The goal was to approximate the performance of the K-1 as closely as possible in a high-quality compact APS-C body, and as it turns out Pentax has succeeded admirably. I bought mine (silver) and also the little DA 20-40mm and DA 15mm Limited lenses, and performance has been great. So has carrying. For tele, when I need it, I've long had the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 which is compact for what it is. It is the equivalent of the D-FA 70-200mm f/2.8 on the K-1 at a fraction of the weight and size. I can carry it in a separate belt holster on one side of me with the camera and short lens in a cam holster on the other side. Or simply take the FA 77mm f/1.8 LTD.

When I am not extensively hiking/biking and/or don't need higher ISO, but do need especially fast-handling dedicated control buttons for changing action and other situations, I often still use my still-fine K-5 IIs. My fav general purpose lens is the DA 18-135mm, then for a fast zoom the Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG is great.

I find the KP is a very enjoyable, unique, and very capable camera in a very solid compact body. For outstanding image quality in a compact package, it does deliver!

The main reason I might yet also buy a Pentax FF body, either a K-1 or K-2, is for greater use of some very nice FF lenses I usually reserve for my Pentax 35mm film bodies. Otherwise, I do not feel I'm coming up short with what I have. If you go for the KP, just be sure to also get a couple of extra batteries. They are small, easy to carry, but run low much faster than that of the K-5.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-17-2017 at 12:05 PM.
07-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the KP's lack of top LCD turns you off, I think you'd be best to wait for the K-3 II replacement. It should have the same improvements offered in the KP, and even more.

07-19-2017, 01:25 AM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
If the KP's lack of top LCD turns you off, I think you'd be best to wait for the K-3 II replacement. It should have the same improvements offered in the KP, and even more.
Yeah, and I am also a bit turned off of the KP's smaller battery and build quality/ergonomics.

I made a small Pros and Cons list between KP and K1 for me

K1 - Pros
- Great sensor (ISO, resolution and dynamic range)!
- My FF lenses would produce the field of view they were designed for.
- Narrower DOF.

K1 - Cons
- harder to cover ultra wide angle (and telephoto).
- expensive (would have to swap 16-85mm to 28-105mm and probably get an ultra wide prime).
- Heavy

KP - Pros
- easier to cover ultra wide (and telephoto).
- light

KP - Cons
- no top lcd, small battery
- not as "pro" build quality and ergonomics
- Not as good sensor as K1 has

So maybe next APS-C flag ship model could be the best option for me. Though I am worrying about price, at the moment KP is 500$ (a week ago only 400$) more than K1 and I assume that if the new flagship is released before the end of the year it would be fairly close to K1 in price. For some reason I feel like I wouldn't mind paying 1500$ for good FF camera but it's harder to justify for paying more than 1200$ for APS-C camera, even though they are starting to be reeeallly good.
07-19-2017, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The battery on the KP isn't bad. In 18 days in Italy I switched batteries maybe 3 times. And that was a lot of shots.

The build quality is excellent. Have you actually handled one? The small grip was never an issue, and I'm 6'3" with footballer's hands.

Not as good a sensor as the K-1? Well it certainly isn't as big, but I now have several superb A3 prints on my wall from the trip. You'd be hard pressed to tell them from last year's K-1 shots from my UK trip.

That said, I still prefer the K-1. I have a couple of ultra-wide options already (DFA15-30 and FA20), and giving my other full frame lenses room to breathe is important. I like using an IR remote control. I like the button layout, and the built-in GPS. Not having a built-in flash is a non-issue.
07-19-2017, 02:09 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
K1 - Pros
As Maw noted 300k shutter clicks

KP - Cons
Only 100k

This factor was one that had some influence on me buying a k-1.

Waiting for a K-3(iii) the previous models were rated for 200k.

When you weigh up longevity, the K-1 is far better value.
07-19-2017, 02:22 AM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The battery on the KP isn't bad. In 18 days in Italy I switched batteries maybe 3 times. And that was a lot of shots.

The build quality is excellent. Have you actually handled one? The small grip was never an issue, and I'm 6'3" with footballer's hands.

Not as good a sensor as the K-1? Well it certainly isn't as big, but I now have several superb A3 prints on my wall from the trip. You'd be hard pressed to tell them from last year's K-1 shots from my UK trip.

That said, I still prefer the K-1. I have a couple of ultra-wide options already (DFA15-30 and FA20), and giving my other full frame lenses room to breathe is important. I like using an IR remote control. I like the button layout, and the built-in GPS. Not having a built-in flash is a non-issue.
- True the battery life would probably not be an huge issue if I have at least two batteries.
- No, I haven't hold one but I have read that for some people the grip is a bit small and some parts of it are not as sturdy as K3. It's hard to find a place where I could hold one :/
- True, even though the sensor would not be as good as K1's it's probably more than good enough for me.

You should have stopped here and not continue saying you prefer your K1!

And some things that I think would be important for me and which I would gain either with K1 or KP:
- better AF, PLM, wifi and focus peaking
07-19-2017, 03:04 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

- True the battery life would probably not be an huge issue if I have at least two batteries.
EVERYONE should have at least one spare battery!

QuoteQuote:
You should have stopped here and not continue saying you prefer your K1!
Yeah, sorry about that. It's an amazing machine.
07-19-2017, 06:14 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Lots of plus and minus here. Make your standard decision chart, and see where it leads you. Size, lens choice, features, cost etc.
For instance, I use the top LCD a LOT in the field, rarely do I ever consult the viewfinder information. I won't buy a camera without that display. Plus, APSC is helpful with field macro. I'd have to crop more with a FF camera unless I put the Sigma 180mm macro on it - there's that cost factor again...
The tilt screen, with even more information, makes the top LCD a moot point. I have that on my K-s2 & KP and never miss the top LCD on my K-200D. YMMV

Last edited by seagas; 07-19-2017 at 06:29 AM.
07-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[off topic]

QuoteOriginally posted by seagas Quote
mute point
While I accept your sentiment, the correct term is *moot* point

[/back to topic]
07-19-2017, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter