Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #1

Wanting to Get a DSLR, Not Sure Where to Begin.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.
Currently have a Pentax P30 I've been using for a few months now. I quite like it and have learned quite a lot with it. However I think I would like to upgrade to a DSLR and try my hand at that; using the lenses I already have.
I don't really know where to begin with DSLR cameras and would like some suggestions on what to get that will fit my budget and requirements.
I would like the DSLR camera to preferably have at least 10 megapixels or more, ideally it should be able to shoot 1080i/p video (could make do with 720p though), and be compatible with my other Pentax K mount lenses I have purchased. My budget is 100 but could stretch to 200.
I appreciate the help and advice and welcome any suggestions

07-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Did you check out the camera comparison page? Pentax K-30 vs. Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-500 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

K-30 / K-50 / k-500 are probably the models to shoot for given your requirements and budget.
Note these cameras do have some problems with aperture solenoid failures, so be cool with this potential before buying.
07-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lazmarr Quote
I appreciate the help and advice and welcome any suggestions
IMHO, some of the first things that you should consider are:

What types of photos do I want to take...landscapes, portraits, sports, events / weddings, macro, etc?

Are the lenses that I currently have appropriate for the types of photos I plan to take?

What camera format interests you....m4/3, ASP-C, FF, etc.?
07-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you might get better value from the older but more upmarket K5: my impression from regular browsing of auctions is that the models cited in the 1st response tend to be offered/go for for more than the K5. I would suggest biding your time and watching for K5's drifting onto the s/h market. People are still upgrading to eg K1's and letting thier K5's go... target price 150-180.

Au contraire..
A s/h lumix G1 or G2 can be picked up for as little as 50 for a body, comfortably less than a hundred boxed with kit lens. Pros: good feature set, very good evf, good 14-42/45mm kit lens, the original all ways tilt lcd, very "wysiwyg" with old lenses. Cons: old 12MPx sensor well behind later cameras (and eg K5 sensor - much noisier) but OK, M43 sensor format means 2x crop factor so while these mirrorless cameras are terrifically versatile for easily trying out a range of lenses with cheap adapters (which is very educational), pretty much it's nomal and telephoto fields of view only.

07-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Did you check out the camera comparison page? Pentax K-30 vs. Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-500 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

K-30 / K-50 / k-500 are probably the models to shoot for given your requirements and budget.
Note these cameras do have some problems with aperture solenoid failures, so be cool with this potential before buying.
If you can find them close to your price range, a K-S1 or K-S2 are more modern models, with updated interfaces.
07-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If I were looking for used, I would be going for the category of highest quality, the pro-style models, which are the most durable. Then find one with the lowest shutter count possible and in fine condition. The K-5 would definitely be a top candidate. I do not use a DSLR to shoot video, except for occasional short clips, so I cannot comment in regards to that.
07-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You should be able to find a K-x or K-r for around 100 body only. A quick Google search turned up a K-r w/18-55 & 50-200 for 209...

K-x/K-r are only 720p, but I don't think you will find a K-5 for 200. Nice thing about cameras of that generation is the sensor shift IBIS. Later cameras only do digital (Jelly). The codec is MotionJPEG though...

Last edited by boriscleto; 07-14-2017 at 03:27 PM.
07-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Put the money that you save on the camera body (assuming you find a great deal on a K=5 or something like that) and put it towards a great lens. If buying used lenses, avoid any with "SDM" in the name. If you love quality, a great lens will always make you happy, even on an older body. A cheap lens on a great camera body will have you looking for your smart phone.

07-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
Put the money that you save on the camera body (assuming you find a great deal on a K=5 or something like that) and put it towards a great lens. If buying used lenses, avoid any with "SDM" in the name. If you love quality, a great lens will always make you happy, even on an older body. A cheap lens on a great camera body will have you looking for your smart phone.
Except for the D FA SDM lenses, which are fine, but you probably won't be considering those since they're meant for full frame.

Anyway I'd strongly recommend the K-5. Might be toward the upper end of your budget, but it's a camera designed to last, and the image quality is fairly close to that of even the latest models.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Pentax K-5 for images (16.3 mp), build, style, and control features. It also has 1080p video.
07-14-2017, 05:57 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
K-5 is not affordable - at least in the UK. Last time I checked, it was around 300 pounds.

I managed to find a K-50 for 230 pounds (with kit lens, which I do not use). If not K-50, a K-30 or K-500 would do an as good job. But remember the chronic problems they have. Because I use legacy lenses, I do not have any problems with chronic aperture failures.

I may repeat too - glass is more important than the body. For your budget, the best lens would be a Helios 44 I guess - as I know of no other lens for around 30-35 pounds with amazing build and image quality. Yet it is a manual focus one - so it will be a dare if you are not used to.
07-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

With some looking, you should be able to find a used Pentax DA 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 AL WR kit lens at a reasonable price. It has turned in surprisingly good test results, and has a build quality considerably better than kit lenses by other brands. The WR stands for Weather Resistant sealing, which is unheard of from other brands in a lens other than their most expensive categories.

People having acquired such a Pentax lens as part of a camera purchase use it for some time then might upgrade to a DA 16-85mm DC WR or DA 18-135mm DC WR, then sell the kit lens. If you upgrade later, you could resell it and get most or all of your money back.