Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JPEG files seem way too small after converting from Camera RAW

Camera used: K3 (as usual - nothing changed)
I usually have fairly decent JPEG files size after importing the RAW(DNG) file into CS5.
Today, I've checked a few files and I found that some RAW files at 29MB resulted into 10MB JPEG files.
Maybe I am now doing something wrong, or something has changed in my CS5 settings, but I think that the resulting JPEG files should be larger??

Any idea anyone?

Thanks!

07-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

JPEG are compressed files. It is normal that a JPEG file be smaller than the original RAW. The JPEG file size may depend upon the compression ratio/quality that you set up.
07-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
when you process the raw files what size pixel HxW are you creating , and at what quality ?

My K1 produces raw files about 40MB size. When I process these into a highest quality jpeg 1600x1080 pixels the file size is only 700-1500 kilobytes typically.
07-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What kind of images are you processing?

If they are "simple" in some sense (not a lot of variation in intensity across the image and/or low contrast (not many abrupt changes in brightness)) compression sometimes results in significant reduction in file size. Astronomical star fields, for example, may do this.

07-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, folks!

Shot at ISO 100; f5.6;
The original RAW(DNG) file is 28.6 MB.
The resulting image/file size is 6016 x 4000 pixels @ 9.07MB.
Type of image: distant blue bird on a treetop (spruce tree) with fairly bright/bluish sky.
I think that it is converted via CS5 at the highest possible JPEG quality ... ? Where is that in CS5 anyway (maybe something was changed and I did not notice it) ?

Yes, I realize that compression will give a smaller file size but I think I was expecting more MB (JPEG) from such a large (RAW) original file.

Last edited by jpzk; 07-16-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added info
07-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you print a lot of pictures ? Is there a need to have such large jpg files? What is your monitor resolution?
07-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Same resolution as the raw file and at max JPEG quality out of photoshop, a jpeg about a third the size of the raw file (in MB) is pretty normal. Depends on the content as mentioned, but this is certainly not unreasonable.

One location for the quality settings in PS are in the save dialog when you 'save as' and switch the file type to jpeg (in CS4 at least).

07-16-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My full size jpegs from the K-3II range in size from 6,500kb to 13,500kb. Actual size will mostly depend on the detail in the photograph. Something with a lot of sky or areas of fairly little change will result in smaller file sizes.
07-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it a plain blue sky and represents a relatively a large part of the image, then yes, the jpeg will be smaller than what you might expect from, say, a detailed landscape. All that homogeneous blue is capable of being heavily compressed as there is little detail within it to preserve.
07-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Do you print a lot of pictures ? Is there a need to have such large jpg files? What is your monitor resolution?
I don't print a lot, no.
Monitor: 1920 x 1080
Why do you ask about keeping large JPEG files ???

---------- Post added 07-16-17 at 10:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Same resolution as the raw file and at max JPEG quality out of photoshop, a jpeg about a third the size of the raw file (in MB) is pretty normal. Depends on the content as mentioned, but this is certainly not unreasonable.

One location for the quality settings in PS are in the save dialog when you 'save as' and switch the file type to jpeg (in CS4 at least).
Just checked CS5 ... can't see any options for JPEG quality in there
I recall having seen something like that somewhere ... God knows where!

---------- Post added 07-16-17 at 10:15 PM ----------

BrianR, jatrax, southlander, astrodave, hcc , pschlute for providing more info.
Now I know what's going and I appreciate the information from all of you good folks!

Cheers!
07-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Camera used: K3 (as usual - nothing changed)
I usually have fairly decent JPEG files size after importing the RAW(DNG) file into CS5.
Today, I've checked a few files and I found that some RAW files at 29MB resulted into 10MB JPEG files.
Maybe I am now doing something wrong, or something has changed in my CS5 settings, but I think that the resulting JPEG files should be larger??

Any idea anyone?

Thanks!
Also, files that are predominantly one colour will compress more than files with many colours, lots of contrast, detail, dynamic range, etc. So some may be 10 megs, others as small as 3. Perfectly normal.

RE: monitor. Jpegs are primarily for online viewing, because they are very lossy, so you really only need 96 or 120 DPI, so your files could actually be smaller. I have a 27" iMac, so I do mine to fit my screen resolution, which is 2550 x 1440 or so - I leave some leeway, so I do 3000 on the long side @ 120 dpi. Most of my jPegs for viewing are around 3 megs. The new 5K scenes have way higher resolution, so I might have to reprocess stuff one day, but I always keep my DNG files.

If you're printing, you want TIFFs at 300 DPI or slightly higher. Those will be huge - 100 megs or more.

And if you want to learn CS, go to youtube - about a trillion video tutorials now, including stuff for CS5.

Cheers,
Cameron

Last edited by Cambo; 07-19-2017 at 09:46 AM.
07-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Also, files that are predominantly one colour will compress more than files with many colours, lots of contrast, detail, dynamic range, etc. So some may be 10 megs, others as small as 3. Perfectly normal.

Cheers,
Cameron
Got that, Cameron !
Thanks !
07-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Also....

at least in CS 6, the jpeg controls are all in the 'Export' dialogue box. You export the files after processing and save them somewhere else as jpegs. There are other ways to do it, but that's what happens in CS6, and I imagine CS5 isn't too different in that regard.

photoshop cs5 tutorials - YouTube

Cheers,
Cameron
07-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Hello jpzk

In Photoshop CS5 you choose “Save As” and from the window that opens you can choose the folder, the name, the format, etc.
Choosing the format “JPEG (*.JPG,*JPEG.JPE)” and hitting “Save”, opens a second window where you can change “Image Options”, where more “Quality” means less compression and thus bigger jpeg images (de default is 8 the maximum is 12).

As an example I saved a K-S2 DNG file (16,3 Mbytes in size) with quality 8, 10 and 12, and the results were 1.7, 3.8 and 10 Mbytes in size respectively.

Best regards,
07-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
Hello jpzk

In Photoshop CS5 you choose “Save As” and from the window that opens you can choose the folder, the name, the format, etc.
Choosing the format “JPEG (*.JPG,*JPEG.JPE)” and hitting “Save”, opens a second window where you can change “Image Options”, where more “Quality” means less compression and thus bigger jpeg images (de default is 8 the maximum is 12).

As an example I saved a K-S2 DNG file (16,3 Mbytes in size) with quality 8, 10 and 12, and the results were 1.7, 3.8 and 10 Mbytes in size respectively.

Best regards,
Yeah !
This is exactly what I was asking ... Thanks !