Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Does anybody know if Pentax is going to release new cameras?

Hello everybody, I´m about to buy the Pentax K-3 ii but I just found out that the camera is a little bit old,
Does that mean that it´s time for a new Pentax K-3 iii?
Thanks!

Last edited by KevinMoss; 07-23-2017 at 10:31 AM.
07-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to Pentax DSLR Discussion forum.
07-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello and welcome to Pentax Forums.

As you read through the various threads and posts on this topic, you'll see that there is a general consensus that we are due (some say overdue) for a replacement body for the K-3ii. That view is based on the history of Pentax releases as much as anything. The only unfounded speculation, of course, is about the price and features. It will almost certainly have improved high-ISO capabilities and AF, both of which can be found in other Pentax bodies released since the K-3ii.

What will be certain is that, when it happens, the K-3ii will be even more of a bargain than it is right now, but you get what you pay for and the K-3ii is still a very capable camera that will last for a very long time, like all Pentax gear.
07-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Basically the people who actually "know" won't tell as they have non disclosure agreements signed. People have speculated that the K3 II is due for a replacement and that does seem likely, but that also is often a good time to buy. The K3 II is a really good camera and while I am sure the next generation camera will be a little better in high iso performance, I would guess that otherwise the K3 II will measure up decently to it.

07-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps look at the feature differences of the K3II, K70, and the KP, and then you can possibly get a hint of what a replacement may hold. The next step is to decide if those things matter for what you want to do - better high ISO? Better AF? Will the next one be on par for FPS? Does any of this matter for what you want to shoot? Then do you have a pressing need, or just mentally ready and in the mood? And finally, budget? If the KP is not the flagship, and lt's over $1K US - are you ready to pay more for the new flagship?

Of course, the above is nothing more than opinion and worth what you paid for it!
07-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinMoss Quote
I´m about to buy the Pentax K-3 ii but I just found out that the camera is a little bit old, Does that mean that it´s time for a new Pentax K-3 iii?
Anyone who knows is not going to talk. Anyone who is talking does not know anything.

Is the K-3II due for replacement? Yes. Will it happen soon? Who knows. Maybe this year, maybe next year. Take a look at the feature set of available cameras: K-3II, KP, K-70 and see what fits. If you need the K-3II feature set then either go with the K-3II, which honestly is not all that old, or wait for the almost certainly more expensive new model whenever it comes out.

If it means anything I still use my K-3II and it competes well within it's capacity with my K-1.
07-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-3 and K-3 II, which is basically the same as the original but with built-in GPS instead of a flash, are getting a bit long in the tooth for a DSLR. Besides, newer technology has since emerged in the more amateur-oriented K-70, as well as in the more advanced but compact new KP. These facts point to a K-3 III or K-2.5 being introduced soon, which will also employ these advancements, and perhaps yet more as well.

07-16-2017, 06:04 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anybody know if Pentax is going to release new cameras?
Actually the answer to the OP question is simple: Yes. But no one knows anything about what or when.
07-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks yáll !
Well, I can live with my Pentax K-50 for another 6 months I guess...
07-16-2017, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks yáll !
Well, I can live with my Pentax K-50 for another 6 months I guess...
... or 12 months ?
Options: go for a K3II or wait.
07-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Quite likely, but they did just launch the KP, which has better image quality and is ahead in many other areas, despite being a new mid-range model.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

My guess is it will have basically the flippy screen and control scheme of the K1, with the KP sensor or something slightly better.

Anyway, that's what I hope.
07-16-2017, 10:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is about time Pentax gave us some sort of teaser on the K-3 II replacement

Keep the interest going, don't want us to lose interest do they
07-16-2017, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The thing is, even if Ricoh releases a K-3II replacement imminently, it's going to be lot more expensive... somewhere between the pricing of the KP and the K-1. That makes the K-3II something of a bargain, even considering its age. Plus, if you disregard the release date and simply look at its capabilities, it's still a very competitive model in terms of performance and features including pixel-shift mode, AA filter simulation, GPS, astro-tracking, dual card slots, high burst rate and good buffer size, heavy-duty all-weather construction etc. Frankly, it's as much of a monster now as it was when released, and most photographers will never use half of its capabilities, let alone stretch them.

More-recent models like the K-70 and KP offer better high ISO performance, but unless you really expect to be shooting at very high ISO levels most of the time (and I'd suggest that's unlikely, unless you're doing a lot of indoor sports and/or concert photography, for example), that really is immaterial. For many photographers, the majority of everyday shooting is likely to be at ISO 100 - 1600, where the K-3II performs incredibly well. And, with a little bit of post-processing, you can confidently shoot it at ISO 6400 and higher depending on the application.

If your K-50 is still serving you well and you have no immediate need to upgrade, I'd suggest waiting 6 - 12 months just to see what Ricoh releases next. My guess is, though, the next model won't be cheap, and discounts on the K-3II at close-out are unlikely to be huge as a result. If the discounts are huge, I'll be getting another K-3II and retiring my K-3

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-16-2017 at 11:03 PM.
07-17-2017, 04:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I have a K-3II. If you can wait, your k-50 will last you not just 6 months but probably another 60 months or so. If you can't wait go for the K-P. I don't have one but the K-P is a good option. I like the high ISO samples shown here. If I haven't bought my K-3II about 2 years ago, I would have gone for the K-P now. But as it is, I will use this beast of mine (k-3II) and its fellow beast my K-5II till they die.