Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Been there and back.

I had a Nikon F80 -- quality was similar to Pentax, compatibility with older lenses was not as good. And I couldn't justify the prices of new Nikon glass. When I went DSLR, I went Pentax.

Investing in a Pentax system has been fun and relatively painless, because the prices are more sane and I can dabble in compatible gear from every era of 35mm and digital SLRs.

It sure felt nice to not have to pay $1800 to get metering on a manual focus lens. Or mirror lockup.

08-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #32
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Maybe I am missing something as I don't understand what SI stands for, but I do know that if I needed a machine gun camera to get a job I would have bought a machine gun camera to get the job regardless of what I allready own.
To me it is like saying I'll never get a job as a Formula 1 race car driver with my crappy 4 cylinder hatchback - what a bad decision.

I'll risk all the flaming I will probably get; but seriously what kind of fool are you?

You bought a camera with only 3fps and are now claiming that it is holding you back from getting a job. Seriously you would have to be an absolute fool, just sell your gear cut your losses buy the gear you need for the job start earning your coin and get on with life.
Falcons,

1) I think Faither was irronic?!
2) My guess SI = Sports Illustrated
3) The better the features for the money the better for us. I hope Pentax will update some of the internals of its cameras soon. All in all I still think our system is among the best for the money for MOST assigments.

Radu
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #33

Original Poster
This was kind of my point, Pentax does make great gear, it just seems to be not widely perceived. I guess I'm just skittish when Pentax is on a bumpy road, since I had settled on the Maxxum system back in 1989, and stuck with it until I was almost at the point where I could buy a Maxxum 5D and then they went out of business. It was fine gear, no better or worse than the other stuff. I bought Maxxum because I just happened on a really good deal on a Maxxum 9000, even though it wasn't compatible with the little bit of other manual focus gear I owned. I bought an EOS Digital Rebel and a lens after Minolta's announcement, since there wasn't any hard info about anything coming up for the Maxxum system. Then Sony introduced the A100 so I traded off the tiny amount of Canon gear and got one. It was okay, but I wanted something more, and I would have stuck with Sony, but I couldn't(can't) afford the A700, (which I like alot), and most of their lenses seem really expensive, comparatively speaking. Pentax seemed to offer the mostest for the leastest, I'm still amazed at some of the images I can pull out of my K10D. But with the Hoya buy-out and now the news that Pentax will be "right-sizing" production levels, it was starting to look like Minolta all over again. I'll just have to hope not, because Pentax really seems to have the quality/price thing set so that even I can own a decent system.
08-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #34
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
When thinking Pentax against the "others" just remember some of the older primes, I have three to die for, 50mm f1.2, 85mm * f1.4 and 135mm * f1.8, all A series and IMHO are some of the best lenses ever made.

If I could find a 200mm * f2.8 A series lens, I would buy it in a heartbeat and that would complete my collection for everyday use.