Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #1

K20D cracked at tripod mount

I have read that one can remove the bottom of this camera, however, after taking out the only 6 little screws I can see on the bottom, the only part that I can get to move is the corner near the battery door - and that's only when I pull on that door. I am afraid to pry or pull hard in fear that I'll really mess something up.

Does anyone have experience with replacing the bottom plate themselves? Would be nice to have a YouTube video of someone doing it. Is there a screw hidden anywhere?

I sure would like a link for ordering that part.

Thanks!

07-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's anything like the K10D then there should be about 12 screws to remove. Not sure though - I can't find a good photo of the underside of a K20D anywhere!
07-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From memory I think there are 13
When I get back home I think I have some photos of a k20d taken apart

I would look to see if the tripod mount is loose from the main chassis. this can be found under the bottom plate as this may have cracked the bottom plate.
The mount is held onto the main chassis with 4 screws. I would not worry too much about the bottom plate as it really does not support any load to the main chassis. If you are worried about weather sealing some glue should work to keep out any water. Glue it while the bottom plate is off of the camera to keep any solvents away from the camera, some glues can leave some residue near things you don't want any glue around.

I would also pay attention to what screw goes where as there are 2 kinds of screws ( from memory on the k20) ones that go into plastic and others that go into the steel chassis.

Last edited by Ian Stuart Forsyth; 07-17-2017 at 09:24 PM.
07-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I remember correctly, there is one - or maybe two screws inside of the battery compartment. At least on my K10D, where I changed the bottom plate because of the well known corner cracks.
I have a service manual for the Samsung GX10 - although it differs from the K10D/K20D - at least it gives you an idea in general.
here you are: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz8tAnBBcGxbZ3ZNQTV3RGFyLTg

Also I have found a photo of the base plate - I think the hidden screws were beside the battery door hinge:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz8tAnBBcGxbQ0lNb212bGVKUzQ

Last edited by Caver; 07-18-2017 at 01:12 AM.
07-18-2017, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just get yourself some UV set plastic such as bondic and fix it that way. The plastic is non-conductive and if done properly, can be quite strong. I've used it to repair lexan brochure holders at work, as well as various other tasks.
07-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
From memory I think there are 13
When I get back home I think I have some photos of a k20d taken apart

I would look to see if the tripod mount is loose from the main chassis. this can be found under the bottom plate as this may have cracked the bottom plate.
The mount is held onto the main chassis with 4 screws. I would not worry too much about the bottom plate as it really does not support any load to the main chassis. If you are worried about weather sealing some glue should work to keep out any water. Glue it while the bottom plate is off of the camera to keep any solvents away from the camera, some glues can leave some residue near things you don't want any glue around.

I would also pay attention to what screw goes where as there are 2 kinds of screws ( from memory on the k20) ones that go into plastic and others that go into the steel chassis.
The camera was attached to a fairly heavy tripod when the tripod strap came loose and the camera hit the ground, hard. I've used it with a bulge and crack near the tripod mount for months. I am careful not to rip the whole thing apart though.
07-19-2017, 01:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Does the tripod mount feel loose? The attached image shows how it looks inside; it might give you some idea of how to fix it.

Replacing the bottom plate isn't a big problem. What is tricky is switching the battery lid from the old bottom plate to the new one, which usually don't come with a battery lid (in my experience anyway). I have done it once, and though I can't remember exactly how I did it, I remember it was quite tricky. It's possible, though.

---------- Post added 19-07-17 at 09:44 ----------

One more thing: I had to replace the bottom plate because it was broken next to the battery lid. That made it quite easy to get the battery lid off the old bottom plate. I don't know how it would be if the bottom plate wasn't broken right there.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1032  Photo 

Last edited by deus ursus; 07-19-2017 at 01:48 AM.
07-21-2017, 07:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
I found 13 screws - actually 12 since the one at the crack (see 4 in the drawing) was missing - then I got the bottom off easily.

I found no evidence of a seal of any kind. Also, the aluminum 1/4 - 20 tripod mount simply fell out when I opened the bottom. It appears that it was not attached to the metal frame inside, unless all four tiny screws tore loose upon impact when the bottom was cracked. No screws shook out when I tried "dumping out" the bottom of the camera body. Maybe they fell onto the floor when I took the bottom off. At 10X magnification I could not see any damage to the 4 screws that should have held the tripod mount on.

Two things, (1) where do I go online for a new bottom plate and (2) can I order the 4 + 1 replacement screws?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo