Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #1

Is Yongnuo YN560 II a proper manual flash for learning?

I want to buy a budget off camera flash device, primary for experimenting with macro and fill flash techniques. If still not clear, I am a newbie at flash photography, but on the basis of what i have read or been told, i have some other more specific questions:
- i read that it is a proper model for my k-x, but do i need a third party device to attach it? Because I read it can be used also on Canon and Nikon? Well, actually, it works on k-x, right, or...?
- this one has not a P-TTL mode. Is this a big loss? i guess manual will be also more educational for me, if not only cheaper. But what do i actually miss?
- does anybody know if there are important differences between this model and YN560IV, which is around 15 dollars more expensive?
- could it be combined with the in-built pop up flash, or this is not a good idea?
- can it be used also on SLR (I have a P30t), or the power supply is not appropriate? (I am really confused about this stuff)

Thank you!!! ( :

07-21-2017, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why not just spend the extra $20 for a YN585? It has P-TTL and can be used manually.
07-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
Just checked it. Yes, YN585 looks like a better option! Thanks! I am still interested if it is ok also for a SLR (I guess no)
07-21-2017, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kmladeno Quote
Just checked it. Yes, YN585 looks like a better option! Thanks! I am still interested if it is ok also for a SLR (I guess no)
You should be able to use it manually with the P30T. Older flashes can be dangerous to use with a DSLR (or even AF SLRs), not the other way around...But old flashes can be found for a few dollars, at least here in the US you can...I've got about 10 I've picked up with various used cameras...

07-21-2017, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Measure the flash trigger voltage of the flash you are unsure of by using a digital multimeter.

Turn the flash on and make sure it is charged. Turn your multimeter on and set it to measure dc voltage. Place the black, or negative probe, of the multi meter against the negative post of the flash. This is usually found along the edge of the shoe. Next, place the red probe against the center pin on the bottom of the flash. The multimeter will read the trigger voltage between these two locations.

If the voltage is below 10 volts then it should be fine for all Pentax digital SLR cameras. If it reads above 10 volts but below 25 volts it will be safe for Pentax K series digital cameras, but not the istD series.

All my Yongnuo flash units measure about 6 volts (my shaky hands make it difficult to hold the probes in place long enough to get a steady reading.)

All but one of my Vivitar 283 and 285 HV flashes measure about 8 volts. The other one is about 250 volts. I have put a piece of red electrical tape around it and use it only on my film cameras.

Also, be certain that the polarity of the voltage is correct. Any voltage in reverse polarity may damage your camera. If you place the black probe on the metal terminal along the side edge of the hot shoe, and the red probe on the center post at the bottom of the hot shoe, you should get a positive reading. If you meter gives you a reading with a negative sign in front of the reading then your flash trigger voltage polarity is negative and should never be used on any digital camera.

But do not take my word for it, measure your own. That way you can be sure that your own flash units are safe...or not.

EDIT - Of course, if you are buying a new Pentax flash that is shown in your camera manual as being compatible with your camera, then you can assume that it is safe.

Last edited by Pioneer; 07-21-2017 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Write some more.
07-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Measure the flash trigger voltage of the flash you are unsure of by using a digital multimeter.

Turn the flash on and make sure it is charged. Turn your multimeter on and set it to measure dc voltage. Place the black, or negative probe, of the multi meter against the negative post of the flash. This is usually found along the edge of the shoe. Next, place the red probe against the center pin on the bottom of the flash. The multimeter will read the trigger voltage between these two locations.

If the voltage is below 10 volts then it should be fine for all Pentax digital SLR cameras. If it reads above 10 volts but below 25 volts it will be safe for Pentax K series digital cameras, but not the istD series.

All my Yongnuo flash units measure about 6 volts (my shaky hands make it difficult to hold the probes in place long enough to get a steady reading.)

All but one of my Vivitar 283 and 285 HV flashes measure about 8 volts. The other one is about 250 volts. I have put a piece of red electrical tape around it and use it only on my film cameras.

Also, be certain that the polarity of the voltage is correct. Any voltage in reverse polarity may damage your camera. If you place the black probe on the metal terminal along the side edge of the hot shoe, and the red probe on the center post at the bottom of the hot shoe, you should get a positive reading. If you meter gives you a reading with a negative sign in front of the reading then your flash trigger voltage polarity is negative and should never be used on any digital camera.

But do not take my word for it, measure your own. That way you can be sure that your own flash units are safe...or not.
That's not what the OP was asking...The OP was asking whether a modern flash could be used with a P30T.
07-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That's not what the OP was asking...The OP was asking whether a modern flash could be used with a P30T.
Thanks boriscleto, I did catch that.

But there is no reason to be worried about P-TTL if you will use the flash only with a P-30T. If one would like to save money then an inexpensive 5$ Ebay Vivitar flash will work just fine, maybe even better, on the P-30T.

I felt, and perhaps should not have, that it would be useful to know how to ensure the flash can be used between both digital and film cameras.

However, feel free to ignore the information if it is not needed.

07-21-2017, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #8

I have actually use the yongnuo 660 manual flash and have 2 560iv flash units. The major advantage of these is that the 560iv and the 660 both have transceivers buikt in so you use one to control multiple yongnuo flashes which may be what inevitably end up doing. Also there is a 560 tx controller that is only about 40 bucks that will let you control 6 groups of flashes should the need ever arise. So in short if you get these manual flashes you can expand. With the pttl 585 yongnuo if you decided to expand, you are going to need another type of radio trigger in addition to another flash.

I shoot portraits and only use manual flash. You simply try a setting and simply bring you flash up or down or adjust your camera settings (eaiser said than done). After a while you get a good idea what works. There are a good amount of tutorials on Youtube from B&H and Adorama that will get you going in the right direction.

Good luck.
07-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 for getting the IV and a TX radio controller. Cheap and works well. Power rating same as Pentax 540, but no P-TTL/HSS, obviously.

07-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, friends! Not an easy choice. I guess you are right with 560, but i can not afford now the investment to buy more flash devices. My idea is as follows (please, tell me if it sounds reasonable): to buy a 585 and to use it with my kit lenses or the manual 50/1.7 which I own (i am still at the beginning of gathering an equipment : ) I ordered also from ebay non-contact extension tubes for learning macro. When I can afford a nice 300mm lens I will invest more in flashes ; ) That is my opinion, after reading some books of B. Peterson, J. Shaw and T. Ang. Most of all, i want to have some fun, shooting outside till the weather is still sunny and nice ( :
Thanks again, I respect your experience and appreciate your advices!!
Kiril
07-23-2017, 02:10 AM   #11

Original Poster
Change of the plan, I am more into YN 560 (( :
07-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #12

Great news. I think you made the right choice as these are easily expandable and easily replaceable.