Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Line on top of image

My 4 month old K20D has had dust on the sensor and in the view finder from day one. I finally took it to a camera repair shop about 10 miles from my home for a cleaning. When I got home, I tested it by taking shots of the blue sky from an open window. When I looked at the now dust free image on my computer, I thought I had also captured the window frame. There was a black line across the top of the image, with a thin white line running through the middle, from one side of the image to the other.

Since then, I have seen that line on all my images. If I rotate the camera, the line rotates as well. It is there independently of the lens I use, the focal length or the card. The line does not show up when I review the images on the camera screen, only in images I have downloaded onto my computer.

Could something have been moved when the camera was cleaned, so I am now taking pictures of some sort of internal framework? Before I drive back across town and spend my Saturday in a camera shop, I want to make sure I am not doing something wrong, myself.

08-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

there's no substitute for sending your camera directly to pentax. get it done right and send it in. should still be under warranty as long as the shop was certified to be working on your gear, and you've had it for less than a year, which has to be the case with a k20d
08-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Mitch. It's under warranty and I would be very suspicious of the camera shop you used. I sure hope they didn't damage the sensor in some way. Keep the test shots just in case you have to go back at them. You might be without the camera for a few weeks but it's worth the wait IMO.
08-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If that camera repair shop pooched the sensor, I think you could safely say the warranty is gone.

08-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What does such a shot look like?
08-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
Boy, am I embarrassed!

First - the camera shop is licensed to do Pentax repairs. I had a look at their certificate.

The problem is not in the camera. I shot everything in JPEG + RAW DNG. All my RAW files have this line. All my JPEG images do not. And, only when I open them in PICASA. When I open them in Pentax Photobrowser, no problem.

Thanks everyone for the input. I was really scared!
08-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lines across an image, all on the same spot, over more than just one image, usually means there is a problem with how the file is being written (whether caused by the camera or the card).

The few times I've used Picasa for RAW conversion (mostly for the quick and dirty conversion), I've never had any such issues. You can do two quick tests:

If you run Windows XP/Vista, download the RAW codec add-on from Microsoft Professional Photography: Codecs

This will allow you to view RAW files using Windows Explorer - and you can at least verify it's not just Picasa acting up.

You can also download either Irfanview or another image program that can read RAW files and try it there too.
08-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #8

haha i went over my photos last night and saw the lines on top or on the right(in landscape) only in one of my batch...weird i'll try to figure out wat's going on...

08-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #9

hmm i went back to my raw and convert it to jpg again and there is no more line...seem like it jus added black pixels to the top of the image(above the line)...here's the two pics w/ and w/o lines...color balance is a lil off but i don't know wat i did to the one w/ line so can't replicate it but that's not the point...

here's one w/ line:

same one i just now convert to jpg w/o line:

to OP try converting your file again from the raw file see if u still have the problem.
08-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #10

Original Poster
Wow - that is exactly the same line that I have! When I am home I will try converting the raw file again. Its a mystery - but I am at least reassured that the problem is not with my camera.

Thanks!
08-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

A question for you with the line - are you both using the same SD or SDHC cards and/or reader? It might be as simple as a card/reader mismatch. If you were near here, We could try your card in my reader and vice versa.
08-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #12

i think its in the PP and or the program i used to make my albums for web (JAlbums) because everything in that folder got a line in it. However i also used it on another folder but its alright so i'm not sure whats going on.
08-19-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
A question for you with the line - are you both using the same SD or SDHC cards and/or reader? It might be as simple as a card/reader mismatch. If you were near here, We could try your card in my reader and vice versa.
I second the notion that this may well be a data issue.

Steve
08-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #14

Original Poster
I am using a Sandisk Extreme III 4 gb and an Ativa media card reader.
08-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #15

i shot raw so data from SD card is good, but i converted to jpg and have been storing in computer hard drive its where i got the line from.