Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Picked up my K7 body from USPS today.

Recently dug out my old K1000 to get back into photography and researched for a DSLR.

Reviews for camera purchases from Japan were good so I took a chance.
Found a K7 body in Tokyo for $230 shipped.
Took 9 days to get here which I thought was pretty good and the camera itself looks like it just came new out of the box.

Went on line and uploaded a .jpeg which came back with a shutter count of 862.
Camera is loaded with firmware v1.12
Have not decided if I will update to the current v1.13

Mounted the SMC Pentax-A Zoom 1:3.5 / 35~105mm and it is working as it should it seems but further testing tomorrow.
I ordered the K7 to mate with this lens, hope it was a good decision and will also experiment with the other lenses that I have that are full manual but those are dedicated to the K1000 for now.

Have it set to RAW+ and have Lightroom 6 for post processing.
Kept the default auto ISO setting at 100~800 because of the high ISO issues noted of the K7.
Have it set to manual focus and P-mode (hyper-program).
Lens on Auto aperture.

Any tips for using a manual focus "A" lens will be appreciated or anything else to be aware of with the K7.
Looking forward to the testing and hopeful uploads if the images turn out.
Most of my interests are wildlife/nature and really no use for video.

cp

07-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds good!
QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
Have it set to RAW+ and have Lightroom 6 for post processing.
Seems right. Just set up a good default profile. By that I mean the NR (20-25 at low ISOs, I just do it by hand for the extreme ISO values), sharpening (25-50), camera colour profile (Embedded or find a custom one online; I don't like Adobe standard), lens profiles if you want. And of course bump the contrast and vibrance a little; pretty much all raw files need that. And you're set!

Any tips for using a manual focus "A" lens will be appreciated or anything else to be aware of with the K7.
Push the button on aperture ring, set it to A, and leave it in A forever. Focus has to be done by hand, just look through viewfinder. I'm not sure whether that camera has focus confirm for manual lenses. Its a little green hexagon in the viewfinder that lights up when AF has been locked. You can also search for Catch in focus and experiment with that method. You just enable CiF, turn on AF on camera body (turn on focus priority, not shutter priority; use the AF mode that is listed in camera's manual, AF.S probably), and then hold the shutter as you slowly turn the focus ring. As focus locks, shutter will start firing.
07-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like you got a nice deal on a barely used camera. I skipped the K7, but really like the body of it.

Good luck and enjoy!
07-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check this out:

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

07-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sounds like your got yourself quite a bargain. Since the camera was built to use autofocus lenses, you might want to add one or two to your kit, just for fun. I'm sure others would disagree with me, but I'd pick up a Pentax DA 18-55 or an FA 28-105 for starters or maybe something similar in a Tamron or Sigma that won't break the bank but will give you the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of autofocus.
07-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This does not apply to the A lenses, only the earlier lenses (SMC, K, and Takumar).

The earlier answer about the A lenses was correct.
07-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Congrats. The K-7 was my first Pentax. Great camera at low ISO. The body was superb and was re-used in the K-5, K-5ii, K-3 and K-3ii. That does say a lot IMHO. I still use it as my 2nd body with very decent photos, especially using one of the three amigos (FA Ltds)!

IMHO a great camera for daytime outdoor. Enjoy!

07-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
you can also search for Catch in focus and experiment with that method.
Catch In Focus is a very cool feature. Congrats on the K-7, I entered the DSLR world just as the torch was being passed from K-7 to K-5, and would have been happy with either, because the main thing I was concerned with was having fully manual options for all setttings. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
07-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Of course it has been raining this morning so have been messing with the camera indoors and snapping through the office window.
Figured I would set it up to use my full manual lenses.
Followed the sticky and lo and behold they all work just fine, very simple setup.
The K7 does have focus confirmation for the manual focus lenses and also beeps and flashes when you nailed it.

Just sitting here reading the owners manual and browsing the internet.
Waiting for it to clear up a bit.

cp
07-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Catch in Focus: The greatest thing going for manual focus lenses. I use it with the M 400/5.6 along with all the K/M mount manual exposure tricks. It's quite simple: camera in AF, Focus lens. For macro work, it is ideal. Set the magnification you want, hold down the shutter release, and move the camera until it takes the picture when the subject is in focus. For regular work, hold the shutter release down and focus SLOWLY until it takes the picture. For sports, focus on the finish line, hold the release down and follow the action.
07-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #11

I find a magnifying eyecup really helps with manual focus through the viewfinder. I have the O-ME53 on my K-3.
07-22-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

One plus for the O-ME53, very usefull (and easy to install) when using manual (focus) lenses.
07-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just a couple test snaps today.

No PP, just resized to fit the upload requirement.
K7 with A-Zoom in macro at 35mm.
Critique is welcome.

cp

Last edited by c.perkins; 12-07-2017 at 06:18 PM.