Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
manual lens in afs mode ok?

I use manual focus lenses mostly (k10d) because thats mostly what I have and wasn't thinking when changing lenses the afs switch was on and I noticed I could not release the shutter if my focus was off. This would be really handy for sports or moving subjects as you could tweak the focus ring while following the subject and it would take the shot when in focus. My question is would it hurt anything on the camera? It doesn't sound like the focus motor is trying to turn with a manual lens in place.
thanks in advance,
tom

02-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
that'swhat ''focus trap'' means. i've been planning on using it for set up shots of birds. ie; focus on an area that you know a gull is going to land on eventually. move the lens so nothing is presented that's in focus and with a cable release keep the shutter release button in the on position. when the gull flies in , the cam should take a shot all by itself. hope this makes sense.
02-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks roy,
I've heard of that come to think of it, I will have to try it with my home-made cable release. I guess the camera knows it's not an af lens and doesn't run the af motor (I think).
tom b.
02-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
my DIY shutter release works well. using this method is also useful taking macro shots

02-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
ISH

Roy - Thanks for the great tip! I'll have to try that out next time I take the rig out for some birding shots. In theroy is sounds like it would work perfectly, let's hope it does!