Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax dslr guidance needed

I have several old Pentax/Pentax K -cameras and lenses. I use film rarely, so I thought it would be nice to use the lenses also on digital, but that would need some demolition because my digital camera is a Canon 5D, and I won't do that. So, I'd appreciate a guidance for buying an used, not too expensive Pentax dslr just for fun to shoot them also in digital. The questions in my mind are:
- Does all the Pentax dslr's take all the old Pentax K -lenses?
- What cheap body would you recommend?
- The image stabilization wouldn't do any harm, would it? (I do not know which bodies include it).
- Will automatic aperture control work also with mecanical old Pentax K lenses?

07-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a thread on here regarding using your manual lenses on a dslr, someone will link it I'm sure. Right now K5 bodies are cheap and work wonderfully with the old lenses using green button metering. All of my bodies, listed in my signature, have seen my K, M, A and m42 lenses.
07-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax DSLRs can always any lens older than the camera itself, this includes manual lenses. Automatic aperture control is available for "A" type lenses and newer; M and K lenses are fully manual.

Personally I'd recommend the K-70 for manual lens use. With the tilting screen, high-res sensor, 5-axis SR, and good live view features, you'll get the most out of your old lenses.

More info:
The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

DxO rates the K-5 higher than the Canon 5D mkIII. But you would have to live with it being a crop sensor. To make full use of your film lens image circle, you'd have to buy a K-1.

07-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Looks like you've gotten some good answers. There are some really nice and relatively inexpensive used DSLR cameras right here in the PF Market place. Check some out and then look to the ratings and reviews to help determine the right one for you....

PF Market Place: The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax and Photo Equipment - PentaxForums.com

DSLR Reviews: Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Notes:

1. SR will have no adverse affect on lenses
2. Only A series (PKA) mount lenses (Pentax-A) or newer will provide auto aperture. K (SMC Pentax) and M (SMC Pentax-M) are fully manual w/ no auto aperture.

Good luck and have fun!!

Last edited by ripper2860; 07-28-2017 at 08:32 PM.
07-28-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The K-5, which was once the Pentax flagship aps-c dslr renders excellent images and is well built/styled. As was mentioned, a used one may be available at a reasonable price. If you are looking for a new Pentax aps-c body, the K-3II or possibly a K-70 might be a good choice.
07-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
1) Yes, any K-mount lens will fine on any Pentax dslr
2) Depends on what your budget is (absolute max you would spend?) I'd suggest checking out KEH (Here: Digital Cameras | Used Digital Camera - Pentax K (SMC, SMC-M) - Pentax KA (SMC-A) - Pentax KA2 (MZ-M, ZX-M) - Pentax KAF SMC-F - Pentax KAF SMC-FAJ - Pentax KAF2 (SMC-FA) - Pentax KAF2 (SMC-DA, SMC-DFA) - Pentax KAF3 - Pentax KAF4 - Pentax K Unspecif)
3) No, any Pentax Dslr that have I.B.I.S. won't damage any manual lens
4) Pretty much what others have said, Pentax A-series lenses and newer, any 3rd party lens with an "A" on it (e.g. Samyang 50mm f1.4)

07-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot depends on how cheap. It also depends on whether you'd need 14-bit RAW capability or the more standard 12-bit. You would be looking at a pretty old Pentax DSLR for it to not have in-body shake reduction (SR). This technology works with all lenses that will fit to the body, regardless of how old the lens. Since you are accustomed to the Canon 5D build quality, a low-use K-5 series model in excellent condition has a lot going for it. I think especially highly of the last of the series, the K-5 IIs, which has no AA filter, in order to deliver superior clarity. The K-5 series is of excellent build quality, having weather sealing, 14-bit RAW capability, an excellent pentaprism VF with 100% coverage, and very fine ergonomics.
07-29-2017, 06:36 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your kind advice and links. The K-5 looks good and I'll keep it as my first choise, but will check also other suggested models. My only concern is now the availability in my home country, but there's always international possibility as well... and I'm not in a hurry. I thougt I'd spent max 300€, we'll see if that's enough. Thanks.
08-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you will be impressed to discover the Pentax Hyper System, which has long been a feature of the more deluxe Pentax models since the film-only AF era. It is found in all current Pentax DSLR bodies, and was also included in the K-5 series, which were the Pentax flagship models.

In Program mode, if you would rather have a different aperture or shutter speed than that which the camera has selected, you simply use the thumb or finger dial to change to your preference. The first click activates the Hyper system and freezes the value, the next click advances the value. It essentially instantly switches to aperture or shutter priority, and you can instantly switch back and forth. This will remain in effect until you hit the green button to instantly return to full Program mode, or turn the camera off. Very fast operation for making changes on the fly.

In Manual mode, you can use the green button to get instantly-centered metering according to program line, instead of twirling the thumb and finger dials, then go from there. Very fast for spot-metering around a scene. You can hit the AE-L button first, then use thumb or finger dials to change a value. If it is aperture you are changing, the shutter speed will follow along to preserve meter-centered correct exposure, and visa versa for shutter speed.
08-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You don't say what you regard as cheap. If you want to go used you have a very wide choice.

The cheapest would be the *istD series, but these are six megapixel first generation cameras. The cheapest ones that I can recommend are the K10D or the K200D, equipped with the same 10MP CCD sensor. These have nice colour rendition, but 800 ISO about the limit as far as sensitivity and IQ goes.

From there the next levels go K20, K7, K5, K5 II and K5 II S. These were the top of the line Pentax in their time. Anyone would be a good choice. It all depends on your budget.

The entry level and mid level Pentaxes are a whole chapter by themselves. You might be tempted by a K30 or K50 but they have a bit of a reputation for aperture block failures. This can be fixed and may well have been, so do your homework before buying one of these. Other than that they are fine cameras. Others, like the K500 are just a bit too basic for some (no focus confirmation LED for instance).
08-04-2017, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Others, like the K500 are just a bit too basic for some (no focus confirmation LED for instance).
Just for clarification purposes ...

The K500 does have a focus confirmation LED, but it does not have LED's showing the active AF point. I own one and it really is a nice camera for the price and it is essentially a K50 w/o the AF focus point LEDS and Weather Seals. Unfortunately, that means the aperture block failure is a possibility.

Last edited by ripper2860; 08-04-2017 at 05:46 PM.
08-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I would direct you to a useful tool here at the forum

you can find it under "camera" above

it allows you to do a side by side by side comparison of three Pentax camera bodies

Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-5 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I have given you a link comparing a K 5 vs. a K 3 and a K 5 II

using the drop down boxes, you can adjust it to reflect the camera bodies you wish.

you should also check out the reviews of the camera bodies you can find under "camera" and in the next section " lenses" you can research your lenses and any other Pentax lens or many 3rd party lenses

good luck

continue to ask questions, members will be more than wiling to assist you.

BTW, shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=889257&u=523490&m=66875&urllink=keh.com offers a 14 day no questions ask return policy check to make sure

---------- Post added 08-04-17 at 17:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
DxO rates the K-5 higher than the Canon 5D mkIII. But you would have to live with it being a crop sensor. To make full use of your film lens image circle, you'd have to buy a K-1.
yes, crop sensor cameras will not record all the "area" covered by a older lens made for the 35 mm camera. however, don't let that stop you. the lens will still work

Full Frame Sensor vs Crop Sensor: Which is Right For You?

Crop vs. Full Frame Cameras | SLR Lounge

Full Frame vs. Crop Sensor Comparison

you can either ask more questions or do your own research
08-26-2017, 08:40 AM - 3 Likes   #14

Original Poster
A K-5 purchased! It looks new and feels good! Now I just have to learn it, which is fun of course.
I thank thee once again for your kind help!
08-26-2017, 08:12 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy your new K5! It's a great camera.