Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
And that's just the cost of the camera. Lenses are an expense and would be upgrading your computer if you don't have adequate processing power to deal with larger K-1 files, much less 645z files.
Exactly. I had plenty of FF lenses, but I had to buy a computer, and with all that resolution it seemed wasteful not to print, so I also bought a high resolution printer.

The full FA645 lens catalog costs roughly $50,000.

07-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #62
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Why hasn't everyone with a K3 moved to the K1 by now? ...
As one of those 'everyone' I can list several reasons. Like Zivelot, I don't appreciate the extra weight. Nor that some of my favourite lenses don't cover the bigger sensor. Nor that to get the same reach I would either have to get a longer (and heavier!) tele lens - or simply go to my K-3 for that use case. Which means I will have to leave the K-1 at home when travelling. I wouldn't like that...

Simply put, a bigger sensor is not the right choice for everyvody. It's all a set of compromises - we all have to find the one that suits us the best. For me an APS-C system is a better fit than a 135 system would be. Micro four thirds might actually fit even better, but I want my optical viewfinder

That said, I might still get myself a K-1, but not because it's the sensible thing to do
07-31-2017, 03:52 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
What I can't believe that, you told me you were a man of means... or I did I get the mean and the man, the wrong way round.
I wish I was a man of means! My bicycle is worth more than my car!
07-31-2017, 06:24 PM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Why hasn't everyone with a K3(II) moved to the K1 by now?
They are waiting to take their cue from you perhaps? C'mon, you know you want one

Steve

07-31-2017, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They are waiting to take their cue from you perhaps? C'mon, you know you want one

Steve
I'm 1/2 way there money-wise and all the way there decision-wise. I could get there faster if I could talk myself into parting with any of my older cameras (K3, K500, Q, or K110D), but...

... I give up -- there's not a good reason. I just refuse to sell them!!
08-08-2017, 08:15 PM - 2 Likes   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm 1/2 way there money-wise and all the way there decision-wise. I could get there faster if I could talk myself into parting with any of my older cameras (K3, K500, Q, or K110D), but...

... I give up -- there's not a good reason. I just refuse to sell them!!
Yep. Every one of those cameras does something just a little bit different. I have three Pentax DSLRs, and good reasons for keeping them all - the *istDS is unique (of the ones I have) in its ability to handle analogue TTL; the K-5 is a dynamic-range legend (and is now my full-time work camera); the K-1... well, that is what it is.

And don't get me started on the film bodies. The only ones I would happily ditch are the two standard Spotmatics because they are thoroughly redundant now but there's nowhere in my immediate vicinity I can bear to donate them to, because their metering system isn't what the vast majority even of film shooters in this day and age would be used to. I should probably put a fresh battery in each, shoot one more roll of colour film apiece to check basic function and then stick them into the Marketplace for what I can get, but I have so many other things on my plate it's just beyond me right now.
08-20-2017, 03:59 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Anyway, after doing a little research I am amazed at how few used K-1s have been listed either here or on Ebay. Very, very few. People are keeping them, not trading them.
There are two more K1 recently on sale in the market place.
08-20-2017, 04:25 AM - 2 Likes   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are we going to report on every used K-1 on sale now? I find that strange obsessive behavior.

08-20-2017, 05:38 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Are we going to report on every used K-1 on sale now? I find that strange obsessive behavior.
Exactly. The camera has been out for well over a year. It is natural for used ones to start appearing. There was no such fuss when the K-5s, K-3s and K-3IIs were offered a few months or a year after they appeared. Complainers should go take some pictures; make friends with LeRolls or something.
08-20-2017, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Exactly. The camera has been out for well over a year. It is natural for used ones to start appearing. There was no such fuss when the K-5s, K-3s and K-3IIs were offered a few months or a year after they appeared. Complainers should go take some pictures; make friends with LeRolls or something.
Were I able to force myself to stop visiting this website I wouldn't know there were any . . . . . . .
08-20-2017, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #71
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Why hasn't everyone with a K3(II) moved to the K1 by now?
Uhhhh, perhaps cost! I have a K3 that I'm most happy with, and cannot even begin to afford a K1!
08-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #72
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Uhhhh, perhaps cost! I have a K3 that I'm most happy with, and cannot even begin to afford a K1!
Yeah and the K-1 isn't a panacea. Sheer resolution is impressive (if you value it), as is the size (if you have larger hands, your whole hand will fit on the grip better). The shallower depth of field can be neat too.. it can also be problematic as well... depending on the shot.

APS-C is a nice middle ground imo for general purpose shooting. And the cost is a lot more friendly. FF is nicer (in some ways) but the cost of the whole system is in another level. I'm not sure for many they will get 2x the gains out of a FF system despite it being at least 2x the cost over crop.
08-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Good; a healthy second-hand market is great news.
08-20-2017, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Good grief, everyone is dumping their k-1s. Pentax is surely Doooomed™
08-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Good grief, everyone is dumping their k-1s. Pentax is surely Doooomed™
Selling prices are too high IMO, they aren't selling at the prices seen for Canon / Nikon second hand.
If the second hand K1 were priced around $1250, that would allow people on a budget to acquire a K1.