Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2017, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

K1's popping up on PF Marketplace

Hi all,

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a surpising number of folks selling off K1 DSLR's in the PF Market place. I don't seem to recall a lot of K3's going on the marketplace until there was a replacement announced and available (K3 II or K1). Considering that the K1 is only approx. 1 year old, is the only Pentax FF, and remains a current model with no imminent replacement, it just seems odd to me that so many keep popping up for sale. Just curious as to why you guys think that is the case -- or is my observation just totally out of whack and wrong? ...

1. Is it the kind sparse new FF lens line-up?
2. Folks hoped video was better than it was?
3. Folks hoped focus system was drastically improved and were disappointed? (In my mind it's been proven to be a highly capable system, although not outstanding)
4. Found that their photography did not improve with newer system and went back to APS-C?
5. Some other reason?

A K1 is on my list, so I'm just really wondering why you guys think SOME folks that took the plunge seem to be bailing on it relatively quickly.

Thanks!!

Last edited by ripper2860; 07-30-2017 at 03:29 PM.
07-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
IMO, there have been several offered for sale. Compared to the number sold, I do not think the number offered for sales is that large. I am sure some buyers are disappointed, assuming
that their photography skills will automatically improve with a new camera. It requires a fair amount of practice and understanding to master the K-1. Others may be faced with an unexpected
expense, that can be met by selling the camera.
07-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went through the entire Market Place Pages 1-6 and did not see any K1's listed ?
I also checked eBay and most of them are selling brand new...
07-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #4

Hi,

I am thinking about selling mine as well but for probably a more specific reason. I experienced that DSLRs are getting heavier and heavier, or at least that is my impression. I started off with an *ist D which was a great camera, fairly small. just as my K100D that followed. I liked both very much. Than I bought a K-7 which I did not like from the beginning and sold it very quick. (I had no digital SLR between the K7 and K-1, so that was quite a few years.)
Somehow that is my feeling with the K-1 as well. Great camera and finally I can utilise all my FF lenses that I have been holding on for for the last decade or so, but the weight of carrying it just makes it not so desirable for me. I also have some disability on my right hand, so a heavy camera is a bit of a drag. But that is not the camera's fault obviously.
So I will still keep on using it, but deep inside it is just not for me, bit of an overkill for my needs. To be honest I am completely happy with my 12Mp Fuji X100.
It is just one approach.

Last edited by Zivelot; 07-30-2017 at 03:19 PM.
07-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I went through the entire Market Place Pages 1-6 and did not see any K1's listed ?
Not saying there are a lot now, but it seems to pop-up quite frequently. More-so than I recall the K3's within 1-year of its' release.

Here's one currently for sale on PFM...

Pentax K-1 with Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Lens and Really Right Stuff L Plate Set - PentaxForums.com

Also -- search/check the SOLD items section on PFM ...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=22353854&cx=partner-...&ie=UTF-8&q=K1

Last edited by ripper2860; 07-30-2017 at 03:30 PM.
07-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
4. Found that their photography did not improve with newer system and went back to APS-C?
Something like this. Didn't want to upgrade a whole lens lineup and found they were using the camera in crop mode anyway. Or planned to upgrade lenses and never did and now can't afford it. Maybe?

Usually the answer is simple: could use the money for something else.
07-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
so I'm just really wondering
I think a few have decided to move up a format again to MF.

I'm more than happy with what the K1 can produce, even as he whispers... with my old "Ladies".

07-30-2017, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure what you are on about. I went back to the middle of May (2 and 1/2 months) and found a total of FOUR K-1 cameras listed for sale on this forum. Three that sold quickly and one listed only 6 hours ago. So FOUR listed for sale in 2.5 months? There were actually more 645 cameras listed in that time frame than K-1's.

So, no they do not "pop-up" frequently. And your list of reasons why is IMHO silly. Sounds like you are just trying to convince yourself not to buy a K-1.

A K1 is on my list, so I'm just really wondering why you guys think SOME folks that took the plunge seem to be bailing on it relatively quickly.
If you really want a valid answer to that why not PM the FOUR people who have listed one?
07-30-2017, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I think a few a while back, decided to move up a format again to MF.

I'm more than happy with what the K1 is capable of producing, even as he whispers... with my old "Ladies".
07-30-2017, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Mine sits sadly unused a lot of the time because I am tired, overworked, the weather has been unbelievably wet and many of the lenses I bought it to use with are film-era and therefore unsealed, and because I recently rediscovered my film cameras in a very big way (having FOUR of them at once serviced by Eric Hendrickson will do that to you).

But now that I've got it, there is no way on earth I'm letting it go. Among other things, I have recently found a marvellously efficient and FAST workflow for scanning B&W negatives using it, which neither my K-5 nor my *istDS could even dream of duplicating. It's sort of amusing to watch the K-1 being transformed into nothing more than a service appendage of cameras like my S1a, but there you go. I bought it to do the things it could do better than anything I already had, and this just happens to be one of them.
07-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

For some people I think an urgent expense happens, they think..."what can I sell to cover that".....A high end camera can be the thing that cashes up the quickest.

My K1 is the 2nd largest(value wise) depreciating asset I own,next is the 70/200,both would be considered disposable if need be.
07-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure what you are on about. I went back to the middle of May (2 and 1/2 months) and found a total of FOUR K-1 cameras listed for sale on this forum. Three that sold quickly and one listed only 6 hours ago. So FOUR listed for sale in 2.5 months? There were actually more 645 cameras listed in that time frame than K-1's.

So, no they do not "pop-up" frequently. And your list of reasons why is IMHO silly. Sounds like you are just trying to convince yourself not to buy a K-1.
It seems to me that you may be interpreting my post as an attempt to trolI where it was really more to incite discussion and opinion.

I'll give you the FREQUENTLY as that is subjective; however, I do not think the list of potential reasons are silly at all. They have been voiced in this forum and several other forums as concerns, especially the fact that the new FF lens line-up is consistently something members wish would be quickly addressed by Pentax. (Not an issue for me as I prefer vintage glass.) I'm not looking for a reason not to buy one as I've already made up my mind that I will buy one, as none of the reasons I listed really apply to me (except possibly #4 ).

I do appreciate you taking the time to research and respond.

Update: In retrospect -- maybe the real question should be ...

Why hasn't everyone with a K3 moved to the K1 by now? ...

Last edited by ripper2860; 07-30-2017 at 04:20 PM.
07-30-2017, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
service appendage
Now there's a phrase to conjure with...
07-30-2017, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a silver KP on the Forum only weeks after it was released. The seller had been on a buying spree and decided to rationalize his collection. He also sold 2 FA Limiteds and a number of other pro lenses.

I attribute the K-1 sales to having opened the MasterCard bill and thinking, "My God. What have I done?"
07-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I bought a silver KP on the Forum only weeks after it was released. The seller had been on a buying spree and decided to rationalize his collection. He also sold 2 FA Limiteds and a number of other pro lenses.

I attribute the K-1 sales to having opened the MasterCard bill and thinking, "My God. What have I done?"
I hear ya and I suspect that's a big factor -- buyers remorse due to GBA -- not the camera itself.

BTW -- ! I've been keeping a close eye on you since you snagged the K28/2 and frankly, I'd hate to see your cumulative Mastercard bill!!