Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2017, 04:17 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be they were trying to avoid a divorce...

07-30-2017, 04:23 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
I hear ya and I suspect that's a big factor -- buyers remorse due to GBA -- not the camera itself.

BTW -- ! I've been keeping a close eye on you since you snagged the K28/2 and frankly, I'd hate to see your cumulative Mastercard bill!!
When your last child graduates college you get the biggest raise of your life
07-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems to me that you may be interpreting my post as an attempt to trolI where it was really more to incite discussion and opinion. I do appreciate you taking the time to research and respond.
Nope, not really. You have more than enough posts to take you out of the T***** category.

But only 4 K-1's listed in 2.5 months is in my opinion an astonishingly low number. People buy and sell things all the time. They buy it and try it, they like it or don't. Some people have to have the new thing just to have the new thing.

I think a better question is "Why is hardly anyone letting go of their K-1?"
1) Is it the new DFA lens line up that already covers most focal lengths?
2) Is it that folks found the video to be better than they expected? (Kinda doubt that )
3) Is it that the focus system is drastically improved and folks love it? (Maybe )
4) Folks found their photography now rivals the best that Ansel Adams ever produced? ( Sure )
5) Some other reason?

So to further the discussion here are a few possible reasons for those four folks moving on:
1) A FF camera turns out to be heavier than they expected.
2) They came from another brand and after trying it decided to go back.
3) They moved to medium format.
4) They need the money for an emergency.
5) They bought a K-1 as a first camera for a trip and found they would rather use their cell phone for pictures

Note that the last three reasons are the actual stated reasons of the seller obtained from a look at their For Sale listing. Of course those reasons might not be true.

Anyway, thanks for starting this thread. My impression (just my impression) was that the K-1 has sold well and has been well received with no major issues. The research I did to answer your question has taken that well beyond an impression. I cannot think of any camera that has not had a certain amount of churn as people buy it and then move on to the next great thing. But in the case of the K-1 it appears hardly anyone is moving on and the churn is startlingly low.

I also took a look at E-Bay and found 27 NEW K-1s for sale and ONE used one for sale. So I think that backs up my theory that hardly anyone who buys a K-1 is selling it.
Save
Save
07-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree that it has sold well and is an outstanding camera. That's why I was shocked to see any up for sale (barring financial emergencies). It's a camera that all Pentaxians (and I count all PF members as Pentaxians) have been waiting for! It has a leading edge feature-set. Outstanding sensor rendering engine. And all at a price-point that is INCREDIBLE for what one gets. In retrospect -- maybe my question should have been ...

Why hasn't everyone with a K3(II) moved to the K1 by now?

Last edited by ripper2860; 07-30-2017 at 04:40 PM.
07-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, and the USED K-1 on E-Bay is listed at $200 more than the NEW price at B&H.........................
07-30-2017, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote
Hi,

I am thinking about selling mine as well but for probably a more specific reason. I experienced that DSLRs are getting heavier and heavier, or at least that is my impression. I started off with an *ist D which was a great camera, fairly small. just as my K100D that followed. I liked both very much. Than I bought a K-7 which I did not like from the beginning and sold it very quick. (I had no digital SLR between the K7 and K-1, so that was quite a few years.)
Somehow that is my feeling with the K-1 as well. Great camera and finally I can utilise all my FF lenses that I have been holding on for for the last decade or so, but the weight of carrying it just makes it not so desirable for me. I also have some disability on my right hand, so a heavy camera is a bit of a drag. But that is not the camera's fault obviously.
So I will still keep on using it, but deep inside it is just not for me, bit of an overkill for my needs. To be honest I am completely happy with my 12Mp Fuji X100.
It is just one approach.
I considered one as I shoot a lot of film and using those lenses I already have would be great. Then I handled one and took it off my list. A heavy beast. Then I ordered a KP. Not full frame but smaller. Got home and picked up my Olympus and remembered why I went to M4/3 I'm The first place. Great IQ in a very small package. Until Pentax produces a capable mirrorless (why again was the KP not?), I'm only shooting Pentax film bodies.

07-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL. Yep, now that is a good question. I kept my K-3II and shoot both. Usually with a longer lens on the K-3II to take advantage of the crop and higher pixel density.

But K-1 is FF with a commitment to larger lenses or at least in many cases new lenses and more weight and the FOV is different if you are used to APS-C. FF is not necessarily better than APS-C, just different. Both formats have strengths and weaknesses.

07-30-2017, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This is the overlapping year where tuition must be paid for two kids, no lenses or cameras for me until 2019! It's a choice I can live with but there will be days of window shopping but never stopping to buy.
07-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In retrospect -- maybe the real question should have been ...

?

Why, Ripper?

Few Canon, Nikon and Sony owners ever do, AFAIK.

You speak as if going FF will make you a better photographer, a view that has been shot down in many, many threads in this forum over the years.
07-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I saw only one K-1 on the marketplace after looking at 6 pages of it on my tablet. It is well known that it provides excellent performance and is reliable as an investment. Not that everyone doesn't know that already.
07-30-2017, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
This is the overlapping year where tuition must be paid for two kids, no lenses or cameras for me until 2019! It's a choice I can live with but there will be days of window shopping but never stopping to buy.
I remember that year. Monthly Pay Plan. My sympathies. It ends eventually. Then you clean up the deferred maintenance on your house, catch up on retirement savings, take stock, and think, "OK. My turn."

But be quick. There are weddings coming.
07-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #27
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Update: In retrospect -- maybe the real question should be ...

Why hasn't everyone with a K3 moved to the K1 by now? ...
I can answer that one from my own perspective - this year I have had other things that are more urgent to spend the money on. So I am still aiming for a K-1 next year, finances permitting.

But, to scratch the FF itch, I brought the LX, which I am enjoying using when I get the opportunity.

My K-3 is still working well
07-30-2017, 05:14 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Current models have always been available regularly in the for sale section. There is nothing remarkable about a couple K-1s in the past few months. People have expenses, lost interest, new interests. One of the things that traditionally has made this forum so attractive is that we have known that we can resell what we buy fairly easily and that items we have wanted to try will appear fairly regularly in the market. My impression has been that there have been very few K-1s offered. K-3s and K-3iis as well as K-5s appeared used quickly and often. I know, in part, because I bought and sold all of those models, some a couple of times. Great cameras. Selling a camera means nothing about the quality of the camera or the sellers skills. This is a gear forum above all. Anyway, if you do not have a K-1 you should give it a try. If you do not like it you can resell it here
07-30-2017, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That year when both boys were away at college was very thin. When the last one graduated with no more tuition payment was wonderful. The first year of retirement has not been too bad.

On a couple of other sites, I have read posts by folks who bought early and quickly, harped about the AF, lack of glass, etc., and quickly sold. I don't understand it, but they tend to always buying the latest and greatest - bouncing across camera system. I can't afford that. I just satisfied with what I have.

07-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #30

Photos: Gallery
99.9 of most people spending two grand on a body has done alot of research! I would not worry about the number of K-1's on the market that are used! Everything is in black and white, AF,FR and glass etc. should have looked at this before they purchased! No one camera will fill the needs of everyone, depends on your style of shooting.

Brian