Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K20D Focus correction question

I have a friend that is considering going from a D40 to a K20D. He is pretty much sold, but had a question concerning the focus correction. Can you set both a general correction plus individual corrections for 20 lenses, or is it one or the other? This is not a deal breaker, however he just wondered.

08-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The "general" correction will be applied to all lenses that do not have a correction set specific to them. If you set a correction for a specific lens, it will over ride the general correction.
08-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
Inactive Account

There are 2 settings available, one is a general setting (apply all) which affects all lenses and the other is a lens-specific correction (apply one) which only corrects that lens (up to 20 different lenses)

But, it is an either/or correction and not both, meaning that the it will not "add" or "subtract" one value from/to the other. So if you have a +6 for general, and a +3 for that lens, it will not give you a +9, it will either give you a +6 OR a +3.

According to the manual (page 106 at the bottom), the choice you wish to use needs to be highlighted when you click OK out of the menu. So it is possible to have a general setting and a specific setting set, and if you click OK on the general setting, THAT will be applied instead of the specific settings, so no automatic override if you have both set, so you have to be careful.

My first couple Pentax lenses all required the same adjustment, so I started out with a general adjustment, but as I added lenses with different requirements, with just a little different between them, I skipped the general, reset it to zero and dialed in a specific amount for each lens.

If all the lenses requires the same adjustment, than it is easier to set the general and be done with it, but if even 1 or more lenses require a different adjustment, than it is easier to set a value for each lens.
08-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The original question he had was if each lens varies a little but the camera is a touch off in one direction, can the general setting be set to "recenter all the little variances" and then use the individual settings to correct each minor differences. It sounds like this is not the case.

Thanks for the info. I'll pass this along.

08-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
According to the manual (page 106 at the bottom), the choice you wish to use needs to be highlighted when you click OK out of the menu. So it is possible to have a general setting and a specific setting set, and if you click OK on the general setting, THAT will be applied instead of the specific settings, so no automatic override if you have both set, so you have to be careful.
Interesting interpretation, i read it as if Apply All overrides Apply One, not through highlighting while pressing OK, but by being set (as in other than 0), if your interpretation is right, this could get truly confusing if Apply One and Apply All are quite different.
I tried Apply All to adjust AF confirm for manual lenses and Apply One for AF lenses, if i adjut the manul lens, i may screw myself on the AF lenses....
I need to test this, thanks for making me reconsider this.