Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2017, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Is there a reason they could not make a FF DSLR the same size as a classic 35mm SLR such as the K1000 or even smaller like the MX?
Yes, there is. Take a look at the cut-away posted in post #32 by @Photoptimist. See any room there to make the camera smaller? I don't. Current DSLRs are a strange blend of very old mechanical technology and modern electronics. As such they have the worst of both worlds, and that takes up space, requires power and generates heat. I think the K-1 is about as small as possible using the current DSLR paradigm. To get smaller, you need to change the design parameters. That might be going mirrorless, using some new sensor that does something we cannot even imagine or something else entirely. But as is, a FF DSLR has components that need to fit in and that takes a certain amount of space. At least three major companies with extensive design experience have been working on this for decades, the K-1 is about as small as it is going to get unless you change the design parameters.

08-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #47
Pentaxian

@Edgar_in_Indy:
You were asking about a "FF DSLR" compared to a "classic 35mm SLR suck as the K1000 or even smaller like the MX"; don't change the goalposts!
The A7 line of cameras can recover some space used by the mirror box, still, it's larger in height and depth than the MX. It's not larger in width just because a film SLR had to leave room for the film canister and take up spool.
So if even a mirrorless can't do it, do you think it can be done by adding a mirror box + mirrors + motors, mechanical aperture linkage + motor, in-body AF motor, dedicated PDAF system, larger pentaprism 100% optical viewfinder?
08-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #48
Aux

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Sony A-7 is the answer.
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Sony A-7 is the answer.
No, it's not. A7 lenses are noticeably bigger and heavier. Zeiss 50mm f1.4 is GIANT and 770g versus Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 at 220g in a compact body. Pentax K1 wins.
08-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #49
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

But, but... I want a smaller K-1!! :bawlingbaby: <--We need this emoticon

For me the size of the K-1 is just fine. I could wish it was lighter, though, but I'm not sure how that can be done without compromising on the build quality - or to start leaving stuff out again. Can't really think of anything I'd like left out, so...

08-04-2017, 08:47 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

For me the size of the K-1 is just fine. I could wish it was lighter, though, but I'm not sure how that can be done without compromising on the build quality - or to start leaving stuff out again. Can't really think of anything I'd like left out, so...
K1 is pretty.... big and heavy, not that weight is what people emphasize but some do.
I look at my K1 recently and my 67II doesn't look too heavy anymore.
08-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #51
Pentaxian

I wish the K-1 was lighter, and thinner; OTOH if an improved AF module means a larger body, by all means, Pentax, go for it!
08-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Can you make a full-frame digital camera the size of the Pentax MX? Yes, I think you can, but right now I think it would have to be mirrorless and a lot would have to be left out. It would not be a professional's working tool, but a hobbyist's toy. If the K-1 is a .357 Magnum of cameras (the 645Z is the .44), this thing you want would be the downsized backup gun you keep in a holster on your ankle or purse.

08-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you want a "compact FF camera the size of a k1000/MX/etc.", you're choices are prety much either Sony or Leica.
08-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Sure, Fujifilm is always doing better
Compact Camera Meter
Their 50mm f/1.2 is larger and heavier than the Pentax DA* 55mm f/1.4. Yet Fujifilm is making compact lenses but that's too much for Pentax
I attached the Fujifilm 50mm f 1:2 to the XT2 and it is way smaller than the Pentax . I think you had the 90mm attached in your link.

---------- Post added 08-04-17 at 06:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I attached the Fujifilm 50mm f 1:2 to the XT2 and it is way smaller than the Pentax . I think you had the 90mm attached in your link.
Oops sorry I was comparing the 50mm f2.0 not the f1.2. In any case we need more lenses like this from Pentax instead of those huge tube-like monstrosities such as the 24-70 and the 70-200.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 08-04-2017 at 04:10 PM.
08-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #55
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 08-04-17 at 06:06 PM ----------

Oops sorry I was comparing the 50mm f2.0 not the f1.2. In any case we need more lenses like this from Pentax instead of those huge tube-like monstrosities such as the 24-70 and the 70-200.
Yeah who needs those damn pro lenses on a pro body
08-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Yeah who needs those damn pro lenses on a pro body
Guy stop trying so hard to be like Canikon(it's too late), do what it takes to get you that loyal following. That is compact DSLR's and compact lenses...
08-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stop trying so hard to be like Canikon (it's too late), do what it takes to get you that loyal following. That is compact DSLR's and compact lenses...
Which means APS-C. Get over it. The KP is a really nice camera.

If you want a 36x24 *DSLR* the K-1 is about as small as we're going to get.

Mirrorless designs allow for a smaller body, but introduce optical challenges which often result in bigger (or much more expensive) lenses. Think Sony for the former and Leica for the latter.
08-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Guy stop trying so hard to be like Canikon(it's too late), do what it takes to get you that loyal following. That is compact DSLR's and compact lenses...
Like a KP and DA Limiteds.

Oh wait. Already did that.
08-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not the k1 its the lenses !
08-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not the k1 its the lenses !
Small FF lenses known to be in current production:
  • FA31/1.8 Limited
  • FA43/1.9 Limited
  • FA77/1.8 Limited
  • D FA28~105
  • FA35/2
  • FA50/1.4
There is no FF 'line' with several offerings and several grades of lenses. There are, rather, individual Pentax cameras in two formats filling specific market sleeves.

K-1 is the Pentax full-on professional camera. It pairs with current and future D FA and D FA* lenses, plus the existing old FF designs.

The Pentax small, enthusiast camera is the K-3ll paired with DA Limited lenses.

KP is a specialty, standalone camera specifically intended as an alternative to MILC's on a size and weight basis when taking into account having a lens mounted. It pairs best with DA Limited pancakes and perhaps the DA18~50 RE.

K-70 is the entry level camera, intended to pair with such lenses as the DA50/1.8 and DA35/2.4.

At this time it does not appear Pentax intends to (soon) release (many) smaller, lighter, slower lenses to pair with their lone professional camera.

That's apparently their product strategy. It doesn't include a lighter, cheaper FF camera either.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-04-2017 at 07:26 PM.