Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Guy stop trying so hard to be like Canikon(it's too late), do what it takes to get you that loyal following. That is compact DSLR's and compact lenses...
if size was all I am after I'd stay with mft, I had a fantastic body and a good selection of small compact primes.

Guy, did I understand you correctly - you're saying small dslr and lenses provide loyal following?)

BTW, with money I spent on k-1 I could've easily bought another ff body from canikon.

08-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Which means APS-C. Get over it. The KP is a really nice camera.

If you want a 36x24 *DSLR* the K-1 is about as small as we're going to get.
Could not agree more! I use the K-1 when IQ is the priority and I don't care about the size or weight. Hell, compared to the old alternatives that could provide that kind of IQ the K-1 is a compact camera! When size and weight are a priority, like on a canoe trip for example, the KP with 18-135 and the DA 15 provide all I need - the right tool for the job!
08-05-2017, 12:52 AM   #63
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
At this time it does not appear Pentax intends to (soon) release (many) smaller, lighter, slower lenses to pair with their lone professional camera.
I agree, but I do hope they will get around to release some smaller, slower lenses eventually. In the meantime I can live very well with having APS-C as a compact alternative. After all, I chose Pentax fully aware that they didn't provide anything between APS-C and MF - and had no plans to change that.

Btw, I would add the DFA100 to your list of reasonably small FF lenses.
08-05-2017, 02:02 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you had the 90mm attached in your link.
No its the 56mm,there was a typo....mind you that shot "looks like" the 56 is a lot larger than the DA55....its 3mm longer and 3mm wider and 30 grams heavier.

I'D call them pretty much the same size.

08-05-2017, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
compact Pentax FF, yes I would like that, get rid of the unnecessary gps, flash, video, screens, have a simple iso, shutter, aperture controls, I wonder if they could make that, no meter, fully manual, no technology to get in the way of making images, and pop out the sd card into computer to view and print.
They could make a version with something to help manual focusing. A lot of manual focus lenses are small.
08-05-2017, 05:07 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
They could make a version with something to help manual focusing. A lot of manual focus lenses are small.
you might be onto something there
08-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Guy stop trying so hard to be like Canikon(it's too late), do what it takes to get you that loyal following. That is compact DSLR's and compact lenses...
Food for thought: Pentax can no longer "win" the "compact" game. Not with their DSLRs, no matter how hard they try.
So they're doing something different - although compactness was not abandoned, see the KP, DA 55-300 RE, D FA 28-105.

08-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #68
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Like a KP and DA Limiteds.

Oh wait. Already did that.
Fullframe pls....
08-05-2017, 06:22 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RTogog Quote
Fullframe pls....
Did you read my Post?

Not gonna happen.
08-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #70
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Food for thought: Pentax can no longer "win" the "compact" game. Not with their DSLRs, no matter how hard they try.
So they're doing something different - although compactness was not abandoned, see the KP, DA 55-300 RE, D FA 28-105.
Their offer with RE type lenses is very interesting as a bridge to counter the attractive offer from other brands, I think this step is on the right track.
Still a bit confused if this kit lens only offers below par against other brands.
The kit lens should have better performance in terms of optical quality, no matter about its max. f stop. They can upgrade later.....
Doesn't this lens have a major role as the "main entrance" for newcomers as "Pentaxian" candidates?

Happy weekend,
RTogog

Last edited by RTogog; 08-05-2017 at 06:49 PM.
08-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RTogog Quote
Their offer with RE type lenses is very interesting as a bridge to counter the attractive offer from other brands, I think this step is on the right track.
Still a bit confused if this kit lens only offers below par against other brands.
The kit lens should have better performance in terms of optical quality, no matter about its max. f stop. They can upgrade later.....
Doesn't this lens have a major role as the "main entrance" for newcomers as "Pentaxian" candidates?

Happy weekend,
RTogog
Do you mean 28-105? It's a stellar lens, higher quality than kit lenses from other systems.
08-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #72
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Do you mean 28-105? It's a stellar lens, higher quality than kit lenses from other systems.
Oh, I made wrong quote, just woke up.... Sorry about that. I refer to an APS-C lens ie.Pentax 18-50mm, f4-5.6 DC WR RE
I thought Pentax DFA 28-105 only need more compact body.

RTogog
08-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aux Quote
No, it's not. A7 lenses are noticeably bigger and heavier. Zeiss 50mm f1.4 is GIANT and 770g versus Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 at 220g in a compact body. Pentax K1 wins.
What I wanted to say, that this thread and original question did not make any sense.
08-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was shocked when I compared the size of my film SLR's(yes I still have them) to some of my AF SLR's and DSLR's(except for my K5). I could understand the increased in size of the AF SLR's because they needed that internal motor to advance the film. Also the motors inside the AF lenses. Not sure why DSLR's have gotten so big, there is no motor to advance the film and the mirror for film is the same size as an FF sensor. So I don't see where the problem is there, but then again I'm not an engineer.
08-06-2017, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In addition to everything in an SLR,

Add:

The LCD. The sensor, mount array and IBIS assembly. The battery. The Focus motor. The mirror motor. The motherboard. The SD card slot(s). The various cable connectors. The AF sensor, which is in the optical path. The WiFi and/or GPS antenna. The flash, if present.

Subtract: the aperture control arm. The pressure plate. The film canister chamber and take-up spool. The clockworks. The button cell batteries. A whole lot of springs, levers, screws and other tiny metal parts.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-06-2017 at 07:37 PM.