Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera "lightning" trigger for Pentax camera(s) ?

Hi everyone.

My son is using an old K10D (yeah, it still works) and he asked if I could find where to get a camera lightning "trigger" that would work on his K10D.
Not sure at all where to look for, so I thought of posting here first.

Thanks!

08-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did a little searching and came up with this - MIOPS Smart | MIOPS - they specifically list the K10D and state it takes cable C2.

I have NO involvement or interest in the company and have NOT used the product so can't comment on it. I 'think' this is (was?) called Nero Trigger. Good luck.
08-06-2017, 09:15 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hi everyone.

My son is using an old K10D (yeah, it still works) and he asked if I could find where to get a camera lightning "trigger" that would work on his K10D.

Thanks!
Sold out/between versions, but you may be able to find one of these second-hand: Camera Axe Store ? Dreaming Robots
08-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi everyone.

Thanks!
I've got this one: AEO Photo | LS 4.0 ProMT and have used it on my K5. This model is a multi-trigger so it does motion as well as ligthning however there are cheaper options from this manufacturer to consider. You can buy direct from them or via a retailer like B&H. If you buy from AEO just select the cable from the drop down menu, the K10D is listed.

I was able to capture lots of lightning with this unit on the K5, the triggers are most useful when the sun is still up and the 'long exposure guess' is less useful. To provide an example this is a composite of 12 images (after I'd removed about 5 others), there was a lot of lightning activity and the camera was triggered so many times with this storm. the storm was a unique opportunity due to my location and the direction of it's travel, but it is an example of why I can attest to the effectiveness of this product.

I chose this one as the latency from lightning strike to actuating the shutter was less than the other unit I was looking at from here: Home - Strike Finder One of their units would still be a good option, and they too have varying model/price options to consider. Their top of the line unit the Strikefinder touch is a 5 in 1 model and triggers the shutter in less than 1ms. That's better than the 3ms of my AEO and has more functinality to boot.

If you want to go more contemporary, I was really interested in the MIOPS when it came out, details here: MEET MIOPS | MIOPS It looks more contemporary in design and functionality than the unit I have, and it will work with Pentax cameras and can be controlled by a smartphone. Hopefully someone around here has one of these to provide some feedback for you.

A search of B&H using 'lightning trigger' will pop up more options but the three identified above are the unit I have and can say works well, the other option (Ubertronix) I considered and the later model with more contemporary functionality that I would probably choose if I didn't already have a lightning trigger.

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 08-06-2017 at 09:41 PM.
08-07-2017, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #5

I use the pluto trigger, works very goos and is controlled by smartphone app:
Pluto Trigger - Ein vielseitig einsetzbarer Kamera-Auslöser

rgds,
Gerd.
08-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #6

The K10D cable remote uses the standard 2.5mm 3 pole "stereo" connector that the majority of Pentax cameras use. And most Canon cable releases should be compatible..
08-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by splash_fr Quote
I use the pluto trigger, works very goos and is controlled by smartphone app:
Pluto Trigger - Ein vielseitig einsetzbarer Kamera-Auslöser

rgds,
Gerd.
Looks like the ap is only iOS ... he/I have a Sasumg (Android).

08-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the pertinent information, folks!
I'll pass the details to my son ... he'll be thrilled that this can work for him.
08-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Looks like the ap is only iOS ... he/I have a Sasumg (Android).
Middle of the Pluto trigger product page says:

"Android 4.3 with Bluetooth 4.0 LE or later".

Pluto Trigger - A versatile smart camera remote

Interestingly, the Pluto has a passive IR sensor, which allows heat-based triggering ['Detect human or animals' body heat and take photos!'], as well as a light/laser sensor.
08-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #10

Some of the triggers have motion detectors, sound or laser light activation among other inputs.
08-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any multi-purpose triggers (light, sound, etc) that work with the K-1?
08-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #12

The shutter release for the K-1 works via the 3-contact 2.5mm plug (focus, trigger).
Accessories? PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING
I think all trigger units that are sold in the market, with the right plug, can work with the camera.
However, imo, a photo of a random streak of light in the sky is only 20% of the thrill. It's a muted thrill like a roller coaster ride that's not screaming. It is the thunder that completes the thrill. And better yet, counting the seconds between the lighting and the thunder tells how far away the lighting is (number of seconds X speed of sound). A still photo lacks all that data.
I'd use video mode to capture lightning and thunder then I can grab any still frame I want from the video.
08-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Middle of the Pluto trigger product page says:

"Android 4.3 with Bluetooth 4.0 LE or later".

Pluto Trigger - A versatile smart camera remote

Interestingly, the Pluto has a passive IR sensor, which allows heat-based triggering ['Detect human or animals' body heat and take photos!'], as well as a light/laser sensor.
Interesting ! Thanks! More stuff to send to my son now.
08-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the K1, shouldn't these work with the K1's cable input or the Infrared Input. I looked at the Pluto Trigger, but the K1 isn't listed. However, I'm going to assume that a Pentax wired trigger is universal.
08-17-2017, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
I have the K1, shouldn't these work with the K1's cable input or the Infrared Input. I looked at the Pluto Trigger, but the K1 isn't listed. However, I'm going to assume that a Pentax wired trigger is universal.
From the Pluto website linked above:
QuoteQuote:
E3: 645D, 645Z, ist D, ist DL, ist DL2, ist DS, ist DS2, K1, K-3, K3 II, K-30, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-5 IIt, K-50, K-500, K-7, K10 Grand Prix, K100D, K100D Super, K10D, K110D, K200D, K20D, MZ-6, MZ-L, ZX-L
Even though it should actually be K-1. The K-1 uses the common 2.5mm 3 pole (stereo) plug that is used by the majority of Pentax DSLRs that accept wired remotes, Canon and other camera brands.