Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2017, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

I'm not confused, but perhaps you are?
An adapter to mount K-mount lenses to a m4/3 body - that, by definition, will work on any m4/3 body. Including about 50 Olympus and Panasonic ones, even the YI.

There is no immediate danger of the DSLR market disappearing; although MILC fans are aggressively trying to provoke panic and hasten the DSLRs' demise. I'm sure Ricoh Imaging will have a response before things would go critical... but for now, they have the K-mount user base to take care of.

08-16-2017, 02:43 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are just significantly better odds that Pentax would release a mirrorless APS-C camera with a mount that is capable of taking a full frame sensor down the road than that they go this direction. Whatever tech is in the Olympus sensors is certainly scalable to larger sensors and you should see benefits there as well.

For Pentax to release a mft camera, they would have to shift their focus at least somewhat to that -- creating some lenses for it. I can't imagine that in a situation where they are already struggling to get full frame and medium format lenses out the door. At the same time, I can't see them dropping any of the current sensor sizes they support . You can make a pretty small APS-C camera, if you want. Even a KS-1 with the retractable 18-50 lens is pretty small. Sony NEX APS-C cameras are a little smaller yet, depending on the lens used.
08-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not confused, but perhaps you are?
An adapter to mount K-mount lenses to a m4/3 body - that, by definition, will work on any m4/3 body. Including about 50 Olympus and Panasonic ones, even the YI.

There is no immediate danger of the DSLR market disappearing; although MILC fans are aggressively trying to provoke panic and hasten the DSLRs' demise. I'm sure Ricoh Imaging will have a response before things would go critical... but for now, they have the K-mount user base to take care of.
I think there are actually k mount to m4/3 adapter. Current user base is not enough. Pentax needs new customers and we'll maybe Pentax could make an Adapter for an APS-C Mirrorless camera of their own. And using Pentax glass on other cameras isn't so bad, more business for Pentax. Anyways a lot of Canon and Nikon guys like Pentax glass.

---------- Post added 08-17-17 at 09:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There are just significantly better odds that Pentax would release a mirrorless APS-C camera with a mount that is capable of taking a full frame sensor down the road than that they go this direction. Whatever tech is in the Olympus sensors is certainly scalable to larger sensors and you should see benefits there as well.

For Pentax to release a mft camera, they would have to shift their focus at least somewhat to that -- creating some lenses for it. I can't imagine that in a situation where they are already struggling to get full frame and medium format lenses out the door. At the same time, I can't see them dropping any of the current sensor sizes they support . You can make a pretty small APS-C camera, if you want. Even a KS-1 with the retractable 18-50 lens is pretty small. Sony NEX APS-C cameras are a little smaller yet, depending on the lens used.
Yes APS-C is interesting. But I do hope that Pentax makes a mount that's compatible with k mount lenses, just like m42 is with k mount.
08-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Yes APS-C is interesting. But I do hope that Pentax makes a mount that's compatible with k mount lenses, just like m42 is with k mount.
Then you end up with something like the K-01, or the Sigma SD Quattro...

Compare camera dimensions side by side

08-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I think there are actually k mount to m4/3 adapter. Current user base is not enough. Pentax needs new customers and we'll maybe Pentax could make an Adapter for an APS-C Mirrorless camera of their own. And using Pentax glass on other cameras isn't so bad, more business for Pentax. Anyways a lot of Canon and Nikon guys like Pentax glass.
Yes, manual adapters AFAIK.
Current user base is not enough, but you're not growing it by offering your users a way out. People would not buy new Pentax lenses to use them on other brands' cameras; they would use their existing lenses on other brands' cameras. Which means, zero additional lens sales.
The adapter is meant to sway people already convinced to switch, to switch to a Pentax MILC system. But, by going m4/3 and with the corresponding adapter, it would be: switch to a Pentax MILC system, or Olympus, or Panasonic - and the latter two are more complete, more compelling (especially as the Pentax is just in our imagination ).

A Pentax' own mirrorless is another matter; if (or when) they'd make it, they will offer a K-mount adapter. Perhaps a manual one, but it will be made (like they made one for the Q).
08-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, manual adapters AFAIK.
Current user base is not enough, but you're not growing it by offering your users a way out. People would not buy new Pentax lenses to use them on other brands' cameras; they would use their existing lenses on other brands' cameras. Which means, zero additional lens sales.
The adapter is meant to sway people already convinced to switch, to switch to a Pentax MILC system. But, by going m4/3 and with the corresponding adapter, it would be: switch to a Pentax MILC system, or Olympus, or Panasonic - and the latter two are more complete, more compelling (especially as the Pentax is just in our imagination ).

A Pentax' own mirrorless is another matter; if (or when) they'd make it, they will offer a K-mount adapter. Perhaps a manual one, but it will be made (like they made one for the Q).
How about an Adapter with full autofocus ability!

---------- Post added 08-17-17 at 10:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Then you end up with something like the K-01, or the Sigma SD Quattro...

Compare camera dimensions side by side
Pentax K-01 just wasn't compete. They could have made a lot more interesting, we all know they could have.
08-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is the benefit in using a Micro 4/3rds, small compact size. Now let's use an adaptor to use K-mount lens, now we have a system nearly as big as a APS-C K-01 or a KP with a evf, both of which have a larger sensor, what's the point? There is zero gain to Pentax unless they spend their limited resource on a new line of lenses on the hope that new users will come to Pentax. If I want a small compact camera that fits in my pocket and always with me, well geez I already have that with my iPhone.

08-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #38
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 08-17-17 at 10:44 PM ----------

Pentax K-01 just wasn't compete. They could have made a lot more interesting, we all know they could have.
The K-01 was complete. It worked as designed. There was never a successor, like K-02, that would have added an EVF or improved sensor. That is where the system "failed". Then again, I'm not sure the system would have "succeeded" if the K-02 was released. It would have to compete against the likes of Sony and Fuji's APS systems.

A FF mirrorless is still more likely than something in APS. The only legitimate competition out there is Sony's A7/A9 series. Let's not count Leica.
08-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And lets throw in a mirror too and phase detect...

08-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Eeeee-gads! Are they really that big? Is that an A-mount to E-mount adapter?
08-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seagas Quote
What is the benefit in using a Micro 4/3rds, small compact size. Now let's use an adaptor to use K-mount lens, now we have a system nearly as big as a APS-C K-01 or a KP with a evf, both of which have a larger sensor, what's the point? There is zero gain to Pentax unless they spend their limited resource on a new line of lenses on the hope that new users will come to Pentax. If I want a small compact camera that fits in my pocket and always with me, well geez I already have that with my iPhone.
Can your iPhone take better pictures than a 500$ M4/3 ?

---------- Post added 08-20-17 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The K-01 was complete. It worked as designed. There was never a successor, like K-02, that would have added an EVF or improved sensor. That is where the system "failed". Then again, I'm not sure the system would have "succeeded" if the K-02 was released. It would have to compete against the likes of Sony and Fuji's APS systems.

A FF mirrorless is still more likely than something in APS. The only legitimate competition out there is Sony's A7/A9 series. Let's not count Leica.
Well fuji started their system from scratch! And now see where they're. Well Pentax could have been in the race, considering how Canon and Nikon failed miserably.. Mirrorless is starting to take over! And Pentax need to get in the game before it becomes too crowded!

---------- Post added 08-20-17 at 01:29 PM ----------

Oh and you forgot to add Bluetooth and USB 3.1 dock lol

---------- Post added 08-20-17 at 01:31 PM ----------

That thing looks like a huge chunk of metal. You could use it to defend yourself in tight situations lol
08-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can your iPhone take better pictures than a 500$ M4/3 ?[COLOR="Silver"]

l
Probably not, but my KP can out shoot any M4/3 and isn't much bigger than a M4/3 with K-mount adaptor, K-mount lens and EVF. If I want serious photograph, I'll bring a serious camera, for quick and easy snap shoots that are easy to share, not much beats an iPhone.
08-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #43

Why would I use adapted Pentax lens on a m43? Native dead silent and FAST AF, tack sharp primes, small and light. If I ever wanted to adapt, would go canon, that simple, smart adapters with AF and stabilization that works, even speed boosters, and loads of lenses to choose from.
You can do has much serious work on a KP has you can in most M4/3
08-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Well fuji started their system from scratch! And now see where they're. Well Pentax could have been in the race, considering how Canon and Nikon failed miserably.. Mirrorless is starting to take over! And Pentax need to get in the game before it becomes too crowded!
Canon entered in the mirrorless world in 2015 and is already on the second place in Japan. I wouldn't call this a fail. And if the rummors are true, Nikon and Canon may release at the begining of 2018 their first full frame mirrorless.

See the chart below.
Attached Images

08-21-2017, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seagas Quote
Probably not, but my KP can out shoot any M4/3 and isn't much bigger than a M4/3 with K-mount adaptor, K-mount lens and EVF. If I want serious photograph, I'll bring a serious camera, for quick and easy snap shoots that are easy to share, not much beats an iPhone.
Try HTC U11

---------- Post added 08-21-17 at 11:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuno Almeida Quote
Why would I use adapted Pentax lens on a m43? Native dead silent and FAST AF, tack sharp primes, small and light. If I ever wanted to adapt, would go canon, that simple, smart adapters with AF and stabilization that works, even speed boosters, and loads of lenses to choose from.
You can do has much serious work on a KP has you can in most M4/3
Probably because Pentax is more affordable! And has amazing optical quality

---------- Post added 08-21-17 at 12:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Canon entered in the mirrorless world in 2015 and is already on the second place in Japan. I wouldn't call this a fail. And if the rummors are true, Nikon and Canon may release at the begining of 2018 their first full frame mirrorless.

See the chart below.
Japan is whole different type of cat! Whether you like it or not sony is the dominant force in MIRRORLESS! And Fuji is the only one giving competition!