Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus point link to AE

I was wondering how many of you link your focusing point to Auto Exposure, if your camera allows this ?

08-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I use this setting when shooting concert for example. Along with spot metering .
It's called "Link AE to AF point" I think .
08-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use it all the time.
08-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is definitely useful. It is also a special-purpose tool and something that most users would not want as their regular setting for general photography. Often enough, inadvertent use of the feature has been the root cause for poor exposure troubleshooting requests on this site.

Steve

08-10-2017, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is definitely useful. It is also a special-purpose tool and something that most users would not want as their regular setting for general photography. Often enough, inadvertent use of the feature has been the root cause for poor exposure troubleshooting requests on this site.

Steve
could you explain, please, how to use "Link AE to AF point" properly and in what situations? Thank you
08-10-2017, 04:09 AM   #6
Forum Member

I am also curious about this, I kind of assumed it was only relevant for spot (Centre) metering mode
08-10-2017, 05:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suppose it might make sense if you don't recompose after focusing.

08-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
could you explain, please, how to use "Link AE to AF point" properly and in what situations? Thank you
You would have to ask

The short answer is that if you are not sure, it is probably best not to use this setting. The assumption is that the point of focus should also be the basis for exposure and that this is always a good thing. The devil, however, is in the details.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpipg Quote
I am also curious about this, I kind of assumed it was only relevant for spot (Centre) metering mode
That is a big one and the first that comes to my mind for cases where the lighting on the subject is significantly different than the rest of the frame.

Here are the points to consider:
  • How much control does one have over the AF point?
  • Does not work well if using a "focus and reframe" technique.
  • How certain is one that having exposure based on that point desirable?
  • How well does the current meter mode (evaluative, center-weighted, or spot) work with the feature?
  • Is AE itself appropriate to the subject? Ditto for AF...
  • How much exposure compensation might be appropriate? The meter may place exposure to middle gray, which may be too dark.
  • Is there another way to accomplish the same goal?
The feature truly is a fairly blunt tool and one that may be hard to control. Results with regular evaluative metering may be better. FWIW, my approach to club or stage lighting has been to use manual exposure.

Steve
08-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
On my K-5 IIs, I scroll to the 'C" Custom Settings section of the menu. On Page 1 of the Custom Settings section of the menu, select option 7 (Link AE to AF point). I had my camera set to this option from day one, but then I thought about a little. If my focus point is pointing to a very dark or very bright subject the camera would try to change that subject to 18% grey which might lead to improper exposures. For average subjects this might be ok. Now I prefer to use the AE lock which I think is a little more accurate.