Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
Banned

Difference between 6 and 10 megapixels

I've never shot in RAW before but will try using it when I go to Mystic Seaport next week. I was wondering if there will be a big difference in image quality if I use 6 verses 10 megapixels? Also, what setting should I use normal, bright or does it make a difference? I don't have photoshop and will be using Pentax's program to convert to jpeg. Thanks.

08-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd only use the best resolution on any DSLR.
Memory is cheap, and you never know when you'll want to crop something out. Keeping it printable.
08-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You can change the bright or natural setting in PPL. Rather than do the first batch as a RAW conversion, just use the "Extract JPG" in Tools. It is much faster with 100's of files, and will give you something to look at and judge what you might want to adjust. I started doing it this way a few batches ago.
08-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree. Memory is cheap. Always shoot at the maximum resolution, and I always shoot raw. Of course, that's a separate, looooooooong debate.

Currently, I'm shooting raw+jpeg and I used to have the jpegs set to 6MP but I've just bumped that up to 10MP (but I still have the 14.6MP raw file).

You paid for all those pixels, you might as well use them.

08-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by explr1 Quote
I've never shot in RAW before but will try using it when I go to Mystic Seaport next week. I was wondering if there will be a big difference in image quality if I use 6 verses 10 megapixels? Also, what setting should I use normal, bright or does it make a difference? I don't have photoshop and will be using Pentax's program to convert to jpeg. Thanks.
I think the Bright, Natural, Landscape makes a difference in certain colors especially green. I have taken a few pictures and looked at the results in each mode. Maybe you should check it out to get an idea. You could also do it.
Check the links below.
08-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ummm...I shoot RAW for the most part on my K10D and to the best of my knowledge RAW is always 10 Megapixels. That is because RAW is the raw output from the detector and the camera has a 10 Megapixel detector. The option for lower pixel density is limited to JPEG.

Likewise, the image tone, saturation, sharpness, and contrast settings are also limited to JPEG files. (At least that is how I read the section in the manual on page 122. Though the documentation indicates that this information is available to PPL for post-processing. Not so for products such as Lightroom.)

It sort of makes sense...RAW images are what the sensor "sees". You use the RAW converter in post processing (PP) to do the things that the in-camera processor normally does when it makes a JPEG.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-19-2008 at 10:46 PM.
08-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Depends on what you're going to be doing to the images too.
6 Mpix is more than enough for web, but if you are even thinking of print - go max Mpix all the time - as mentioned, you never know when you want to crop or print big.

08-20-2008, 01:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with stevebrot. I think Raw is always capured at 10 MP, and the "in camera" settings (bright;sharpness etc) will have no affect on the raw file.
08-20-2008, 02:16 AM   #9
Forum Member

Hmmm Mystic Seaport... been there. Worthy of the highest possible image quality....

Shoot raw and use a good quality RAW processor to get high quality jpegs, mind you the quality of the RAWs from my K10D are superb and normally all I need is a quick adjustment of levels and you have stunning pics...
08-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Raw is always 10MP (or whatever the max resolution is), and the saturation, color, sharpness, etc settings don't directly affect raw images. However, many raw processors will use them as the "starting point" for how the image will look. I use the Pentax software and that what it does.
08-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Difference between 6 and 10 mega pixels

the difference between 6 and 10 mega pixels is -4 mega pixels.
08-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
the difference between 6 and 10 mega pixels is -4 mega pixels.
Dang, you beat me to it.
08-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Always shoot Raw and Raw always shoots to the max.
08-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #14
Inactive Account

GOOSHIN
- if it doesn't work, hit it, if it doesn't break, hit it again
Theatre tech?