Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Any reason NOT to buy a K10D at this point?

Hi all,

I'm looking for my first SLR and was looking at a few different models (Canon 450D, Oly E-520, Nikon D60, Sony A350, Pentax K200D etc.). I was leaning toward the K200D due to its weather-sealing and build quality - I'll be taking it into the jungles and mountains of SE Asia quite a bit. However, I discovered that for less than $50USD more than the Canon and maybe $100 more than the K200D I can pick up the K10D kit. I know its almost a couple years old now, but it still seems like quite a camera. Is there any reason I shouldnt pick one up? Anything earth-shattering that newer models have? I don't care about point and shoot technology like live view and face detection. I wouldn't mind a few decent auto modes to get me started until I've really dug into the camera. I have heard the K10D is quirky and has a bit of a learning curve. Not sure if thats a curse or a blessing...might help me learn the basics of SLR photography better. Or will it just give me endless headaches? All in all, I want a reliable, well-built camera that takes excellent image quality outdoor photos in a variety of light. The K10D seems like a helluva lot of camera for the money right now, and quite a few shops here in Taipei still have them. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm about to pull the trigger here soon...

08-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Damn Brit

If you are prepared to run the risk of K10's running out, it might be worth waiting until after Photokina at the end of September to see what announcements are made. It's possible prices may go down further.
08-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #3

With all the respect of the world for the cameras you mentioned, I can't think on any reason why not to pick the K10D, I own the twin cheaper sister the GX-10 from Samsung, and it's a superb machine, as I'm sure you already know (and read all over the internet), try to get the best quality lenses you can afford, if you keep on doing photos, you'll change bodies, but your lenses... you stay with them.

Good luck!
08-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I echo the comment above about the other models versus the K10D. If I had to choose between the ones you mentioned and the K10D, I choose the K10D..again! Mine is just at one year ownership and I still think it is one of the best on the market, especially for the price nowadays! Any DSLR will have a bit of a learning curve, I wouldn't say the Pentax is any different than the others mentioned as far as "getting to know" your new camera is concerned, I have never found mine to be "quirky" at all. It's as straight forward as they come and offers a world of versatility compared to others in this price range.
Regardless of what may or may not be released by the end of the year, the truth is, the K10D is as good now as it was when it was released, I'd have no problem at all recommending this camera to anyone.
Good luck!

Jas

08-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D is a great camera body. Winner of several awards and much high praise in the industry. Bang for the buck it is still best in class, at least in my book.

PROS:
+ In body shake reduction, so all your lenses are stabilized.
+ Weather sealed body.
+ Very ergonomic with dual thumb wheel controls (edials) and buttons to control shutter, aperture, ISO, bracketing, EV compensation and RAW/JPEG modes without resorting to menus.
+ Out-of-the-box compatible with every K-mount lens ever made for Pentax cameras.
+ With the latest firmware upgrade it is fully forward compatible with all the new SDM (Sonic Drive Motor) lenses too.

CONS:
- Maxes out at 1600 ISO and it's pretty noisy there.
- Earlier production runs reportedly had back/front auto-focus issues (mine bought in Mar 08 is spot on accurate).
That's really about it as far as objective complaints raised with the camera. You'll see gripes about AF speed being slow and whatnot, but these are situational and contextual issues that may or may not affect your photography. Every machine has quirks and design limitations, cameras are no different. You just have to learn what they are and work with them.

As far as learning curve goes, you will have a curve coming to SLR from P&S no matter what brand or model you choose. Grab a $15 copy of the Magic Lantern Guide for the camera you end up with and also a $18 copy of Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and you'll be up to speed in no time.

As has already been said, the body is less important than the lenses. When you move into the SLR world you aren't just buying a camera, you're buying into a system of interchangeable bodies, lenses and accessories. Pentax glass is hard to beat, new and old alike.

If you're down to the K200 vs the K10 it's really a matter of preference on the user experience. K200 is going to be a bit more "user friendly" coming from P&S. K10 is going to give you more control and options. Either way, you're getting a fine camera and buying into a great system.
08-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Others may argue K200D is better choice (newer model than K10D), but K10D is simply a workhorse, and is much more versatile with regards to customising and features.

Can't go wrong with the K10D - any better, and you're looking at the K20D.
08-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #7

Ther only reason for not buying K10D is buying K20D
I bought K10 about 4 months ago just because I didn't have enough money for K20
K200D is cheaper and has a bit better looking jpeg (minor differences, not really visible except in 100% crop), but only extra buttons and pentaprism on K10D are worth every extra $!
After all, K10D was Pentax top model just few months ago, while K200D is, with all respect, very good equiped but still entry level model.

08-20-2008, 01:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

In a word ....NO!
Only possible reason would be if you bought a k20d instead, as noted above.
08-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I don't think there's a reason NOT to buy the K10. If you're going into jungles etc, the weatherproofing is going to be good for you. Remember not all lenses are weatherproofed. Quite a few of the Pentax ones are. Not many 3rd party ones are. (none that I know of!) The K10 will satisfy any serious photographer. It will do more than most users would dream of. Rather like people thinking they need the latest version of MS Word for their offices. 99% of regular users know about 10% of what the program will do. The K10 will give you plenty of room to extend your talents.

The thing you will have to decide is whether it is going to be comfortable for you. Does it fit your hands well? Can you reach all the buttons easily? Can you see through the viewfinder? Can you read the lettering on it, and on the screens?

It's a great camera. It will do everything you would want it to do (from what you have said) and it offers more at the price than anything else on the market now. The only reason NOT to buy it is:
a. you don't really need it, or
b. you couldn't use it comfortably it because of the way YOU are made.
And we're all different! Thank goodness.

(I like mine more and more as I go along!)
08-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, I'll say get the K200D. You said this is your first dSLR and you'd like the auto modes. That says K200D over the K10D. You want weather sealing for the jungle, both have it. You'll save a few coins with the K200D as well.

The K200D is a very nice camera and shares the same sensor as the K10D, so the image quality will be the same (which proper settings). The K10D doesn't handle noise that well, and I suspect the K200D may be a little better, given that it's a newer camera. If you're shooting in the jungle, you'll have low light conditions.

I'll say go with the K200D, save some money, learn all about it, then upgrade to the K30D whenever it comes out.
08-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #11
Forum Member

You mentioned about bringing the camera to the jungle; For this reason, weather sealed is a must, which K200D and K10D have; BUT, if you plan stay away from civilization for a while where there is no electricity available, K200D would be your choice since it uses AA batteries; Good AA batteries (rechargeable hybrids) will last about 400-600 shots and they are easy to find. If you happened running out of juices on all your rechargeables, AA alkalines are easy to find, even in the most remote area in SE asia.

QuoteOriginally posted by PaddyB Quote
Hi all,

I'm looking for my first SLR and was looking at a few different models (Canon 450D, Oly E-520, Nikon D60, Sony A350, Pentax K200D etc.). I was leaning toward the K200D due to its weather-sealing and build quality - I'll be taking it into the jungles and mountains of SE Asia quite a bit.
08-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cgjung Quote
you mentioned about bringing the camera to the jungle; for this reason, weather sealed is a must, which k200d and k10d have; but, if you plan stay away from civilization for a while where there is no electricity available, k200d would be your choice since it uses aa batteries; good aa batteries (rechargeable hybrids) will last about 400-600 shots and they are easy to find. If you happened running out of juices on all your rechargeables, aa alkalines are easy to find, even in the most remote area in se asia.
k200d ftw!
08-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #13
Inactive Account

The K10D is so awesome that I bought two. The camera is just as good as it was a year ago (again, it's awesome), so the only reason not to buy it is to buy a K20D instead.

I would by another in a heartbeat - if I needed to.

c[_]
08-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CGJung Quote
You mentioned about bringing the camera to the jungle; For this reason, weather sealed is a must, which K200D and K10D have; BUT, if you plan stay away from civilization for a while where there is no electricity available, K200D would be your choice since it uses AA batteries; Good AA batteries (rechargeable hybrids) will last about 400-600 shots and they are easy to find. If you happened running out of juices on all your rechargeables, AA alkalines are easy to find, even in the most remote area in SE asia.
obviously you are not familiar with the citrus juice/powerrade/onion trick of energy extraction
08-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It is K10D for me if I have to choose between K200D and K10D. I am more used to the two-dial system and find this feature to be extremely handy. And I also don't miss the scene mode at all.

I am waiting for K20D price to drop so I can get another camera as backup.