Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

new camera

i have a k1 and love it, i also have a k20d which i have had for a long time , want to get a better , lighter crop sensor camera for walking around , was thinking of the k3-k3ii and looking at the kp, from what i have read the k3 is the better bargain. looking for recommendations, advise, have a number of lenses that would work on the crop sensor, looking for better IQ, , get a lot of noise with the k20d in low light, in reg light its OK. thanks.

08-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-3 II is 850 right now KP 950 (limited time offer). KP has better noise performance. The K-3 II is a better camera but IQ at high ISO is worse (still much better than the K20D). But the KP has a flip out screen but no ergonomic grip nor a top lcd. What is the best deal comes down to personal preference.
08-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had/have the K20D, K3D, and K1.

If you want lighter/smaller than the K20D, the K3 series is not what you want. If you mean lighter/smaller than K1, yes.

You can check Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications for weight and size specs.
08-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K3 is a great camera and I still use mine a lot along with my K1. It will blow your K20D away in all ways. Pair the K3 with the DA 18-135 WR and you have an excellent walk around combo.

08-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I would get the K-3II as it shares batteries with the K-1. Other than that, the K-3II is a good camera but perhaps dated compared to the KP with its newer sensor. I have K-1 and K-3II and I am quite happy with that combination.
08-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
i have a k1 and love it, i also have a k20d which i have had for a long time , want to get a better , lighter crop sensor camera for walking around , was thinking of the k3-k3ii and looking at the kp, from what i have read the k3 is the better bargain. looking for recommendations, advise, have a number of lenses that would work on the crop sensor, looking for better IQ, , get a lot of noise with the k20d in low light, in reg light its OK. thanks.
For image quality the KP would be the way to go IMO, for handling the K-3 II.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you're just wanting a "lighter crop sensor camera for walking around" then maybe you should give the K-70 a look. Image quality is very close to the KP, but it costs much less is slightly smaller.

08-14-2017, 11:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP was designed to be the lightweight alternative to the K-1 with IQ as close as possible for an APS-C body. Controls are similar. Ergonomics are very good. I have one as well as the larger-size K-5 IIs. For smaller, but with premium quality construction and great IQ, the KP is the way to go.

But if you have very large hands and want something closer to your K20D in size, I would say wait for the K-3 II replacement.
08-15-2017, 12:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't think Ricoh will go back to K10D/K20D size. The interchangeable grip of the KP is not very ergonomic in my view. More like fashionable. It makes the body more compact, together with it's lower shoulders. It weighs only 10% less than the K-3 II. Despite the smaller battery. Another disadvantage of the KP. less shots to a battery and you can't use the same battery as the K-1 and K-3 (and K-5 K-7). There is also the K-70 which is a bit lighter and certainly smaller than the KP, with almost equal IQ. Same smaller battery though and it has an older AF chip (but still better than the one in the K20D). Older alternatives that are still available are the K-s2 and K-50 (last one is getting scarce). Their IQ is a small step down from the KP/K70 but both are lighter and the K-s2 is more compact than the K-70. You could also get a second hand K-5 or K-5 II. Still very good camera's if you don't use AF tracking.
08-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If weight is an issue, look at a sling-type strap. This keeps the weight off your neck, and is far more secure than a shoulder strap. Slings will be much more comfortable and secure - and the camera should hang right at your hip, making it comfortable for walking around. DSLRs are all roughly the same size, I don't think any are drastically smaller except mirrorless designs.