Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New camera

When is Pentax coming out with a new camera.

08-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nobody knows, the KP is the most recent model which was launched this year. I'd expect an APS-C flagship to be announced at the next major photo show.

As for what's due for imminent release, there will soon be a 4K-capatble Theta model.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll get a lot of answers, but no-one here really knows any more than you do

There's possibly / probably a K-3II replacement coming, but we don't know for sure and don't know when. If it *is* coming, then the best date I could give you is "quite soon"

Other than that, the K-1 and KP are *very* current from a full-frame and APS-C perspective. Neither has been out for very long (especially the KP), both offer very current features and performance, and they won't be due any updates for a while.

Are you hoping for something specific in terms of format, capability and budget?

EDIT: Adam beat me to it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-14-2017 at 02:27 PM.
08-14-2017, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I seem to have misplaced my crystal ball - will answer as soon as I locate it...

08-14-2017, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You'll get a lot of answers, but no-one here really knows any more than you do
Though many will volunteer that if it does not include all of the features of the competition plus the user's personal wish list (Keurig support?), Pentax is doomed.

Steve
08-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hmmm. Not that I need a new camera but, I would love to see a k-3II replacement. I would love to see major improvements that every one would like to have. However, I don't think Pentax will ever come up with something that will please everyone. Some will shout for joy, others will just keep whining. That's normal here. After all this is pentaxfourms.com.
08-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Hmmm. Not that I need a new camera but, I would love to see a k-3II replacement. I would love to see major improvements that every one would like to have. However, I don't think Pentax will ever come up with something that will please everyone. Some will shout for joy, others will just keep whining.
... and very, very few will see a real benefit from any upgrade over the models that were available five years ago, let alone those available now...

I'd love to see a K-3II replacement too, but only because it provides an upgrade path to me in several years time if and when my K-3 and / or K-3II finally give up.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-14-2017 at 04:30 PM.
08-15-2017, 12:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since I have read that the K-3 II is now on the discontinued list, it would seem its replacement will appear within 6 months or so. The new model will no doubt offer the advancements of the new KP but in the body and control layout style of the K-3 series. If you are looking for something very current in technology and image quality, but in a more compact design of very high build quality, that is the new KP.
08-15-2017, 03:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

My dream Pentax camera would be a digital APS-C version of the ME Super. Same size with the battery grip designed to look and feel like a motor drive. Have the image quality of the K-1 or better, flippy screen, AF speed of the D7200 and includes other functions of the K-3II.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 08-15-2017 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Added to the message
08-15-2017, 03:28 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

no personal ability to compare between the two

but I like my K 3 and K 5 II

may not be the "latest and greatest" but I find them very satisfying and until I win the lottery they are my cameras of choice

---------- Post added 08-15-17 at 05:30 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
. . . I would love to see major improvements that every one would like to have. However, I don't think Pentax will ever come up with something that will please everyone. Some will shout for joy, others will just keep whining. That's normal here. After all this is pentaxfourms.com.

I grew up in a farming community

in the morning some of the farmers would routinely gather at the diner and would complain

about how wet/dry, how hot/cold it was

the weather was never " just right "

I thought they just liked to gather, drink coffee and "converse"

in other words, it just ain't our forum
08-15-2017, 07:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

As far as the next generation APS-C flagship goes, only 1 of these 4 things can happen:
  • It'll get announced by the end of this month or around September or....
  • It gets announced at a camera show sometime in February to April next year or...
  • It gets pushed back to an even further release date or...
  • Ricoh decides in the end that the KP is good enough & users should upgrade to the K-1 if they want more. This I highly doubt.
Only the engineers & managers at Ricoh know the answer, but they tend to be extremely secretive about everything. Like the time the K-70 just popped out of nowhere. I don't think anyone had a heads up on that one.