Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep. The 16-85 is really big - not the right physical match for the KP in my opinion.

78mm wide (plus an even wider hood) x 94mm long, 72mm filter and 488gm vs 71 (with a built-in hood) x 68, ∅55 and 283

08-17-2017, 12:04 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP was developed with several goals. One was to provide image quality as close as possible to an excellent full-frame model such as the Pentax K-1, in an APS-C body. Another was to accomplish that near-miracle while making it compact so it will be an attractive alternative to mirrorless designs. Another was for the new model to be of excellent build quality despite being compact. According to test reviews and reports by owners, the success of the KP in achieving these goals has been amazing.

In keeping with the combination of compactness with high quality, the DA 20-40mm Limited is ideal. I bought my KP and this lens in silver, as well as the DA 15mm Limited. Their beauty complements the excellent performance they deliver. Very lightweight carrying. Balance and handling are great. I have had the older DA 55-300mm HD WR for some years, and it is very useful when I need the long reach, and the lens is still quite compact. Surprisingly fine image quality. For absolute top quality, however, I take my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 in a belt holster instead, especially when doing low light work. It is still compact for this kind of tele zoom lens, providing imaging similar to a 70-200mm f/2.8 on a FF body at half the weight.
08-17-2017, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
In keeping with the combination of compactness with high quality, the DA 20-40mm Limited is ideal.
One more vote for the 20-40 Limited. But who's keeping score? I am, of course!

That's 6 people who love the 20-40, compared with 4 for the 16-85 and 3 for the 18-135.

I could buy a used 20-40 for less than $500. I'm pretty sure I'd love it, but there are those times when more reach is needed - which is why I'm looking at this in the first place. KP with 20-40 is probably similar in quality to my X100F.

I'll throw one more into the mix - Sigma 18-300. Inexpensive superzoom with good reviews from forum users. That would leave room in the budget for 2-3 primes, or the 20-40...
08-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Richjac Quote
3) 15 plus 20-40... highest cost, but this one is calling my name.

Sounds enticing, and perfectly sensible. Great combo. The 15, which I shoot in the smc version, sure delivers the goods. The 20-40 I have only had a brief hands-on with at Photokina, but from what I have read and seen output-wise I get the impression that it manages to bring a lot of the Limited prime philosophy to a moderate zoom range.

08-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As for a new 20-40mm Limited, B&H is always a good place to do business. But check amazon as well. I bought this lens beforehand, using it mainly on my lightweight K-S2, but bought it in silver as I had a premonition that a new body in sillver would eventually emerge, and I still think it looks classy even on a black body. Then I got the KP and the 15mm Limited. Couldn't be happier! Build quality, carrying, handling and image quality- all are outstanding!

Even JPEGs are exceptional. As I always say for new Pentax users, be sure to implement "fine" sharpening in the custom image menu for both "bright" and "natural" categories.

And I'm sure you've enjoyed the exclusive Pentax Hyper System previously with your K-5 II, if you did discover it. It is not well-explained or revealed in camera manuals these days. It is now a feature available on all current Pentax DSLR bodies, including the KP. It allows instant switching to Av or Tv simply by selecting a desired aperture or shutter speed by using the thumb or finger dials when in Program mode without having to go to the mode dial. Full P mode is instantly restored with the green button. Using the green button in Manual mode provides instant meter-centered exposure set, then go from there. Great for fast spot-metering.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-17-2017 at 09:16 PM.
08-26-2017, 10:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I do think for the people steering you in the direction of the 15 plus the 20-40 are on the right track. Please let us know what you select.
08-27-2017, 05:31 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can not recommended the 16-85 enough. I covers my needs. I rarely need to go longer than the 85mm and the 16mm is where I am the most. The KP has a grip available so the size should not be too much of an issue. Otherwise the 18-135 is smaller and still a good choice.

08-27-2017, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
To be honest, I'm still on the fence between the KP and the Fuji X-T20. Looking for comparisons of the 20-40 Ltd to the Fuji XF 18-55 f/2.8-4.0, or the Pentax 16-85 to Fuji XF 18-135....

Wish I could see a KP in person somewhere, but Pentax dealers are a rare breed. There is one here in Milwaukee, but they don't have much stock.
08-29-2017, 04:56 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Before you write the Pentax DA 18-135 off check this out: DA 18-135 WR, Show us what it can do - PentaxForums.com

Also, that is one compact lens that is easy to pixel peep on. I know, I've done it.
08-29-2017, 05:56 AM   #25
Forum Member

To be honest, I'm still on the fence between the KP and the Fuji X-T20. Looking for comparisons of the 20-40 Ltd to the Fuji XF 18-55 f/2.8-4.0, or the Pentax 16-85 to Fuji XF 18-135....

Wish I could see a KP in person somewhere, but Pentax dealers are a rare breed. There is one here in Milwaukee, but they don't have much stock.
Never buy a camera you haven't had a chance to put your hands on. They are tools and being comfortable using them is the essential feature.
Pentax KP versus Fujifilm X-T20 is a tough comparison, do you prefer OVF or EVF? is WR important for you? in camera IS? and the X-T20 is so tiny with all those dials and buttons, I have owned an X-E2, I could never use a camera smaller than that, but that's me. And the X-Trans sensor is another thing to consider when talking Fuji and shooting RAW.
I own the 20-40 limited and I have owned the XF 18-55 and one thing - a very superficial thing, comparing lenses across different systems does not make much sense - I can say: I preferred my XF primes to theXF zoom, when I use the the 20-40 Limited I am totally happy with its performance.
08-29-2017, 06:39 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's some combo's. Each has a wide (or sorta wide) option followed by something else that should compliment the first. None of these lenses are, to me, very heavy or overly large.

10mm Samyang + 17-50 Tamron
15 Pentax + 18-135 Pentax (This is my go-to pair of lenses when I go anywhere and don't know for sure what I'll get into)
17-50 Tamron + 43 Pentax
15 Pentax + 28-75 Tamron
21 Pentax + 70 Pentax

Have fun!
08-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
Never buy a camera you haven't had a chance to put your hands on. They are tools and being comfortable using them is the essential feature.
Pentax KP versus Fujifilm X-T20 is a tough comparison, do you prefer OVF or EVF? is WR important for you? in camera IS? and the X-T20 is so tiny with all those dials and buttons, I have owned an X-E2, I could never use a camera smaller than that, but that's me. And the X-Trans sensor is another thing to consider when talking Fuji and shooting RAW.
I own the 20-40 limited and I have owned the XF 18-55 and one thing - a very superficial thing, comparing lenses across different systems does not make much sense - I can say: I preferred my XF primes to theXF zoom, when I use the the 20-40 Limited I am totally happy with its performance.
Good advice, but the only way for me to handle the KP is to buy one. The local dealer used to have a stock of Pentax cameras and lenses, now they have only a K1 and a couple older kits (K-5iis, K-S2) and no lenses. I may rent one for a weekend.

I have owned the K-5ii and the X-T10. The X-T10 (and 20) are a bit on the small side, but I would probably add a grip. The K-5ii was a nice size - it felt great with the battery grip. OVF vs EVF - I'm OK with either, but I find myself using the OVF more often on the X100F that I currently own. Like you, I rarely used the XF zoom on my X-T10 after buying a couple of primes. I always felt that the XF 18-55 was heavy for that body.

Both systems would aggravate my LBA.
08-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well if you find your self in the GB area in the next couple of weeks, fell free to PM and you can try mine out.
08-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A superzoom is not in the same league as the DA 20-40mm LTD. I have it and also the DA 18-135mm, which is a superzoom- like a 28-200mm on a 35mm film body. It is an exceptionally compact lens for one so versatile, and I would not want to be without it. Perfect for times when the ability to go from a WA group shot then instantly zoom in for a portraiture or other closeup without having to change lenses. I have enjoyed very good image quality overall from this lens also. Its AF is quiet, fast, sure, and silent. Its build quality is very good, and with WR. A very good value. Something like a super, superzoom- like 18-200 or 300mm to me is getting a bit extreme. There is perhaps more tradeoff quality, both build and optically than I would care for. I would rather add on a proven-quality Pentax 55-300mm for the extra tele.

The DA 20-40mm Limited is designed with different goals- compactness with very high optical and build quality. It mates with the KP in regards to these goals, and it balances perfectly for handling. I hesitated, since I already have had the DA 18-135mm and like it, but finding a good deal for a new one through Amazon, I went for it. Now that I have both lenses and find I use them both! The superzoom for when I need a superzoom, the 20-40mm Limited when I want maximum quality from a zoom, and don't need a superzoom. I can take it along with other quality lenses like the DA 15mm and FA 77mm prime lenses, and/or the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 with a quality level that remains constant throughout. It covers a range that is great for most general-purpose FL uses, street shooting, walk around, indoor scenic, and many other applications. I use it a lot with my KP.

What it boils down to- If I need the quickness and versatility of the superzoom, I use it. When top quality and aperture speed are the issues and I need the zoom range, I use the 20-40mm Limited, the 15mm Limited, (both easy to pack along), and have my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 in a belt holster.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-30-2017 at 12:33 PM.
08-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #30
Forum Member

Regarding looking at Amazon, if you are not in a hurry I recommend looking at their deals.

They just had an event over the Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK and I managed to score the 35/2.4 and 50/1.8 for £50 and £61 respectively. It may mean a late night as these were posted/started at 12.00am - needless to say the 35mm was sold out in 5 minutes!