Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

New full frame camera ?

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if Pentax is planning to sell a new full frame camera.

Hope I can get some information on that because I'm looking into buying the K1.

Regards Steew

08-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing new for a while, I'm pretty sure. Great time to pick up a K-1!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nothing new for a while, I'm pretty sure. Great time to pick up a K-1!
But wouldn't it be better to wait for new one then =D ?
08-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by STEEWPHOTOGRAPHY Quote
Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if Pentax is planning to sell a new full frame camera.
Only RICOH knows.

Meanwhile, what's missing from the K-1 that makes you consider it to be an 'old' camera?

08-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Think of all the shots you'd miss out on if you could have been shooting with the K-1 for 2-3+ years but decided not to

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-17-2017, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
mee
Veteran Member

If you have about 2 years to blow then sure.. it is always better to wait.

But, as soon as it is released, you need to question whether to buy it or to wait another 3-5 years for the new new camera.

Nothing is replacing the K-1 for years.
08-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax will release FF lenses before they release a new FF camera. The K1 has everything I need and is a superb camera. if you want FF why would you wait?

08-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If you have about 2 years to blow then sure.. it is always better to wait.

But, as soon as it is released, you need to question whether to buy it or to wait another 3-5 years for the new new camera.

Nothing is replacing the K-1 for years.
good Statement

---------- Post added 17-08-17 at 13:40 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Pentax will release FF lenses before they release a new FF camera. The K1 has everything I need and is a superb camera. if you want FF why would you wait?
new inventions?
08-17-2017, 01:54 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes they are, definitely. When it will be available however is completely unknown. If you would like my totally unfounded guess it will be announced in 2019 and delivered in 2020.

You might be waiting for a while. And whatever comes along might not be all that much better anyway. And based on Ricoh's good inventory management recently, I am not sure the announcement of a replacement would have all that much impact on K-1 pricing.

And just a side note but nearly every camera I have ever bought I almost immediately started looking for a newer one. Until the K-1. I honestly cannot think of anything that would be an improvement, for me. I don't really care if/when they release a new camera as the K-1 is near perfect. Now lenses, yes they need to add some new lenses.
08-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Waiting for the next new model is, in my view, time and pleasure wasted for the sake of having the latest kit. If photography matters more to you than equipment specifications, get what you want now, enjoy it, then - if you really need to - upgrade when the time is right.

One of our members here - I can't recall exactly who - once said that they considered buying equipment before the release of a newer model to be equivalent to rental, in that you can buy what's available now, enjoy it, shoot it, get lots of great photos, then - when the new model becomes available - sell what you have and recoup a decent amount of your spend. Your loss represents the rental amount you've paid, which is typically rather small for the period involved.

Final point: For some months now, I've been taking photos with an eleven-year-old, 10 megapixel Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone) that are easily the equal of my K-3 and K-3II shots at typical reproduction sizes, by using the camera to its strengths. My K-3 and K-3II give me a lot more flexibility and performance in many areas, but they don't make the difference between a good or bad photo. I wouldn't sell them - they're my main cameras; but if I had to, I could happily use just the GX-10 and my favourite lenses. The glass is *way* more important than the camera...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-17-2017 at 02:09 PM.
08-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Spoken by one who truly does not need to buy a camera

Steve

(...BTW, who said anything about a new FF camera? )
08-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

new inventions?
That is a reason for never buying a new camera
08-17-2017, 02:25 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

The New K-1 mk 2 is just around the corner,but first you have to drive this long straight section!
08-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Spoken by one who truly does not need to buy a camera

Steve

(...BTW, who said anything about a new FF camera? )
Nobody, I just asked if anyone knows something =D
08-17-2017, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

And just a side note but nearly every camera I have ever bought I almost immediately started looking for a newer one. Until the K-1. I honestly cannot think of anything that would be an improvement, for me. I don't really care if/when they release a new camera as the K-1 is near perfect. Now lenses, yes they need to add some new lenses.
This!