Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #1

ist d L

I have a *isd and it doesn't see the batteries so before I get rid of it I was reading the manual and it says to replace the CR2016 battery and it says pry up cover but all I see is the on/
off lever and the function knob on the left I would not think those would be something to remove. I am just playing around with it and got curious how to replace it, the manual is not to clear and the bottom has no pace for that kind of battery any suggestions?

08-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tjfloyd Quote
I have a *isd and it doesn't see the batteries so before I get rid of it I was reading the manual and it says to replace the CR2016 battery and it says pry up cover but all I see is the on/
off lever and the function knob on the left I would not think those would be something to remove. I am just playing around with it and got curious how to replace it, the manual is not to clear and the bottom has no pace for that kind of battery any suggestions?
I'm guessing it would be under the bottom cover? But in any case this is the backup battery for the clock, shouldn't be the issue if the camera isn't powering on. Faulty switch would be more likely.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-19-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The CR2016 battery goes under the circular cover on the bottom of the camera. Opposite the main battery compartment, as shown in the picture in Adam's post. You shouldn't need to pry it up, rotate it with a coin in the slot in the cover.
08-21-2017, 12:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The older Pentax AA cameras had battery issues ( Voltage issues ) ...
Are those the Li-ion , AA replacement batteries ? ( Thats what I run in both my istD cameras ) For some strange reason I have 2 , both have the battery grip .

08-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
I made a mistake my camera in a *ist d L anyway it works with alkaline AA but not with lithium batteries and it used to work.
08-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That is very odd that it only works with alkaline batteries and not lithium. Normally, alkaline are designated only for temporary backup use until AA lithiums or fully-charged AA rechargeable Ni-MH batteries can be obtained. This was also the case with the K-100D (+Super), and K200D.
08-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #7
Forum Member

Is there a menu setting for various types of batteries? You may have to change the setting to a different type.

08-23-2017, 12:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This may not help but I have found my K100D Super sometimes needs both the battery and camera terminals given a clean then the battery cover opened and shut a couple of times before the camera registers the batteries being there and indicating the actual power (full or partially depleted). Only happens if the camera has been unused for some time.
08-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rick in Ohio Quote
Is there a menu setting for various types of batteries? You may have to change the setting to a different type.
Cannot find any settings for different types of batteries cannot find one, also put VOM on and the lithium batteries have a higher output than the alkaline do, to make things even weirder I picked up another *isd L and it acts the same way.
08-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes, lithiums do have a higher output. Alkaline AA batteries actually have an output that is barely adequate for a DSLR. They will fail rather soon. The camera is, in reality, underpowered while they are in use. That is why they are only used for very temporary backup.
08-24-2017, 07:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Yes, lithiums do have a higher output. Alkaline AA batteries actually have an output that is barely adequate for a DSLR. They will fail rather soon. The camera is, in reality, underpowered while they are in use. That is why they are only used for very temporary backup.

That's my experience with alkaline AA's in the DS and in the DS2 -- they're only for emergency short-term use. I used to use rechargeable NiMH's a lot (when the DS was my main DSLR), but I (lazily) prefer the 3-volt CR-V3's nowadays for the DS2 (which is a secondary body to the K-3).
08-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own or have owned the *ist DL, *ist D, and K100D. I use name-brand rechargeable NiMh AAs in all of them with no issues. Energizer, Eneloops, Duracell, Rayovac. I have a set of Rayovac AA's I bought back in 2010 that are still going strong.
08-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

When I had an *istDL, the best was to use Eneloope type batteries. Today, cheap Amazon Bsics precharged would do just fine.
08-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not all Pentax AA cameras suffer from the battery issue - which is a voltage issue ( the main one ) .
The biggest complaint I saw regarding the AA cameras was that batteries did not last - well that's bunk ! The batteries have plenty of juice left . Its just that the camera throws up a low battery warning at a certain voltage level . And on some Pentax cameras that seems to be a little early . Which is why I run Li-ion batteries ( AA replacements ) .
I have owned ( still do ) istD - istDS - istDL - K100D - K200D x2 - KX .. All of my istD models suffered early battery warning . Also one of my K200D , which died suddenly for no apparent reason . And was the Kx also suffering from the early battery warning . For some reason I have 2 istD cameras now and both run the Li-ion replacement and I have no issue with low or early battery warnings .. The reason I sold the other cameras was because of the battery life issue . I am keeping these two istD cameras as they both have the grip and work just fine , as well the batteries just last and last and last . Not like with the AA's , every time I reached for a Pentax AA model I got in a few shots and then a battery warning . ( No longer )
Not saying anyone here is having issue , but just for your information ..