Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2017, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
One thing I think that should be brought up is that internal condensation due to moving from a warm to cold environment is to be expected, and is not a failing of the seals. Humidity levels inside and outside of the camera is the same regardless of seals or not - and temperature changes will condense the latent humidity.
This is an excellent point and one that I pondered addressing in more depth when writing. Water vapor will move with the concentration gradient regardless of the seals and under humid conditions, will be inside the camera as surely as it is in the air outside. The complicating factor is when the seals slow that movement when the outside air is dryer. I will update and clarify that section.

Steve

08-21-2017, 09:06 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Regarding condensation issue...condensation occurs only when your camera and lens surfaces are colder than dew point temperature. This can happen any number of ways, such as having your gear in an air conditioned hotel room and taking it outdoors into warm high humidity atmosphere, or taking your camera out of your cold car in the winter and bringing it into the warm and relatively humid indoors, or as mentioned/implied previously, taking the camera from a warm and humid situation and exposing it to sudden cold with the humid air trapped inside the camera and lens suddenly condensing on the walls. I felt I should add this clarification to the conversation, that being that taking to camera from a cold environment to a warm and humid environment can cause alarming condensation...this happened to me in New Orleans - seemed to take forever for the camera and lens to warm up enough to clear the glass of condensation.
Best regards,
Daryl
08-21-2017, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Useful information here Steve, and well presented.

I would add a few things:

- the hot-shoe cover forms part of the camera WR. It can stop water and dust entry, so should be in place unless WR is not required;

- one should avoid vigorous zooming in/out with WR lenses during rain or dust events. Sealed zoom lenses (eg the 18-135 WR) act as air pumps, which means they can very easily suck material like water or dirt into the camera body. The drafts caused by such zoom activity may be easily felt at various points of the camera body, so the problem is clear. The air has to be vented somewhere, or otherwise those sealed zooms won't be able to zoom. Sealed primes (eg DA*300mm) don't have the same problem - just the zooms.
10-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Camera is demon possessed
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Jokes aside, I did wind up with something resembling demonic possession a couple of years back when I covered a soccer game in heavy rain. Back then, I was using the DA 18-135mm, which is far from ideal for soccer, but that was because I had no other suitable lenses on hand. The camera's SR system wound up going haywire, causing the sensor to shake continuously. At one point, the camera refused to turn on, but I let it air out after the game and all was good.

I haven't had any water-related issues since.

Draco

12-03-2017, 05:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
- one should avoid vigorous zooming in/out with WR lenses during rain or dust events. Sealed zoom lenses (eg the 18-135 WR) act as air pumps, which means they can very easily suck material like water or dirt into the camera body. The drafts caused by such zoom activity may be easily felt at various points of the camera body, so the problem is clear. The air has to be vented somewhere, or otherwise those sealed zooms won't be able to zoom. Sealed primes (eg DA*300mm) don't have the same problem - just the zooms.
I think it depend of the lens; The 50-135 doesn't change in size while zooming while the 18-135 does so for me the 50-135 wouldn't be a problem.
12-03-2017, 05:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

LensRental website has a quite interresting blog post about salty water damage and a A7sII: Lens Rentals | Blog

What is interresting is that overall:
- salt water is much worse than std water as the salt corode things weeks and months after the fact
- most servicing will not accept to deal with a camera that got water inside as they can't offer a warranty on their job. A component that still work today may stop working soon after due to the water damage.
- Once you got water damage, most often a new camera is needed. You can't trust the old one anyway even if it is still somewhat working.
- No camera DSLR/mirrorless do offer water proof.

In the end, I managed to get non WR compact bodies in the past in the rain and all and that our WR camera and lens can still fail I am not sure if all this stuff is that great. None of my lenses are WR or AW, and I got away in many wet situations, taking some care of the gear but still. The key point is taking care.

Anyway one day it may happen even if you do your best. To me you shall always have good enough insurrance of good enough finance to be prepare to replace your gear. It may be water damage, it may be something different. It may be related to camera, but could as well be your car, your dishwasher or whatever... You need some a plan for when it occurs. You may never have issue with your camera, or your car, but it will happen to some of your properties.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 12-03-2017 at 05:58 AM.
12-03-2017, 06:12 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
LensRental website has a quite interresting blog post about salty water damage and a A7sII: Lens Rentals | Blog

What is interresting is that overall:
- salt water is much worse than std water as the salt corode things weeks and months after the fact
- most servicing will not accept to deal with a camera that got water inside as they can't offer a warranty on their job. A component that still work today may stop working soon after due to the water damage.
- Once you got water damage, most often a new camera is needed. You can't trust the old one anyway even if it is still somewhat working.
- No camera DSLR/mirrorless do offer water proof.

In the end, I managed to get non WR compact bodies in the past in the rain and all and that our WR camera and lens can still fail I am not sure if all this stuff is that great. None of my lenses are WR or AW, and I got away in many wet situations, taking some care of the gear but still. The key point is taking care.

Anyway one day it may happen even if you do your best. To me you shall always have good enough insurrance of good enough finance to be prepare to replace your gear. It may be water damage, it may be something different. It may be related to camera, but could as well be your car, your dishwasher or whatever... You need some a plan for when it occurs. You may never have issue with your camera, or your car, but it will happen to some of your properties.
this is a very nice link, thank you

and exposure to salt water is my worse fear as I prepare for my trip to Baja California and encounters with whales in the Bay of California on the east and in San Ignacio Lagoon on the west.

if interested, more info here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/348199-loo...ml#post4030259

it is expected that we will have encounters right up to the 22 foot boat with grey whales and the young " up close " and personal in the Lagoon

I am trying to plan and prepare on how to protect my K 3 and K 3 II along with my lenses.

any suggestions will be very helpful

[ by the way, I am a firm follower of " Murphy " of " Murphy's Law " fame - " any thing that can go wrong will go wrong " and Finnegan's corollary to it: " Murphy was an optimist " ]

right now, my plan includes the use of " rain sleeves ", zip lock plastic bags and a towel along with a water proof duffle dry bag

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-03-2017 at 06:18 AM.
12-03-2017, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget Murphy's Second Law: 'the more complicated it is, the quicker it will go wrong.'
12-03-2017, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Don't forget Murphy's Second Law: 'the more complicated it is, the quicker it will go wrong.'
Interrestingly mitigations typically add complexity
12-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
this is a very nice link, thank you

and exposure to salt water is my worse fear as I prepare for my trip to Baja California and encounters with whales in the Bay of California on the east and in San Ignacio Lagoon on the west.

if interested, more info here:

looking help: whale photography baja california. - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com

it is expected that we will have encounters right up to the 22 foot boat with grey whales and the young " up close " and personal in the Lagoon

I am trying to plan and prepare on how to protect my K 3 and K 3 II along with my lenses.

any suggestions will be very helpful

[ by the way, I am a firm follower of " Murphy " of " Murphy's Law " fame - " any thing that can go wrong will go wrong " and Finnegan's corollary to it: " Murphy was an optimist " ]

right now, my plan includes the use of " rain sleeves ", zip lock plastic bags and a towel along with a water proof duffle dry bag
why not buy a special waterproof compact for the whale watching?
12-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
why not buy a special waterproof compact for the whale watching?
quite simply

the $$$ already spent on the equipment I have
03-05-2018, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

(Current) Star★ lenses are always sealed, so in the past they are always WR.
ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/support/Pentax_Ricoh_WR_White_V2%20_2_.pdf

Last edited by angerdan; 03-06-2018 at 03:03 AM. Reason: current, so only DA* and D FA*
03-05-2018, 09:19 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Star★ lenses are always sealed, so in the past they are always WR.
DA* and D FA*

As far as I know, FA*, F*, A* and M* have no special seals or design for weather or dust resistance.

Steve
03-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I bought a second hand compact waterproof Nikon 120 AW for wet weather and beach shots. That is definitely a better option than subjecting your expensive. Pentax's claim is WR (weather resistant) not waterproof and taking expensive gear near sand is never a good idea.
05-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Late reading this post, thanks, Steve, it answered all the questions I was about to post .. somewhere.. I got to wondering about seals as I am about to sell my Pentax gear (its just too heavy for me now) and am thinking I won't advertise as weather resistant, because it might not be, now, being quite old.

Thanks again!