Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Note to self: Clean sensor next time before shooting eclipse at f/32

I think the title says it all! I still got some pretty decent pics, just had to clone out a few dust spots. Next time I'll be ready!

08-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe they were sunspots??
08-21-2017, 12:28 PM - 8 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Lol, a kind sentiment, but I know a dirty sensor when I see one! It really wasn't too bad though. I'm just now going through my pics. Here's my favorite so far:

A bit overexposed perhaps in the area of the sun, but I like the effect with the clouds. Maybe I can reprocess it with a graduated filter to expose the left side more, to even things out.

---------- Post added 08-21-17 at 04:16 PM ----------

Here it is with the left side brightened and the exposure on the sun dialed down a bit:

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 08-22-2017 at 06:34 PM.
08-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, pretty nice -- I like the really primal look of it!

08-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I imagine the clouds caused some disappointment to many, but they really give this image some "atmosphere"
08-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Those are very cool photos! Really like what the clouds add to the image, quite unique.
08-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I imagine the clouds caused some disappointment to many, but they really give this image some "atmosphere"
Agreed! Those are dramatic. One almost expects that sorcery was involved.

Steve

08-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, at first I was disappointed that clouds were periodically passing over the sun during the event, but when I saw some of the dramatic images I changed my mind. Without the clouds, you would basically just get a sliver of crescent with the rest of the frame black.

For reference, the pictures were captured with my Sigma 100-300mm f4 attached to my Panasonic GX-7 with a K-mount adapter and set at 300mm, so I guess it was 600mm equiv. I had not planned to take any pictures of the eclipse, but at the last minute, near peak eclipse, I caved in and quickly brought my gear out to the front lawn to see what I could do.

I used a combination of the manual aperture on the Sigma and a variable ND filter to regulate the sun's rays. My aperture varied from f/32 all the way to f/4 depending on cloud cover (or lack thereof) and depending on how much I dialed my ND filter in. I was a bit worried about damaging my sensor, since I was using a mirrorless camera, but everything seems to be okay.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 08-21-2017 at 06:44 PM.
08-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Here it is with the left side brightened and the exposure on the sun dialed down a bit:
Yes, I prefer the second over the first, with the sun more defined. I agree about the effects of the clouds. To me it has the feeling that I'm there at the beginning of creation with everything in a vaporous soup. Well done and thanks for sharing. Sure glad you caved in.
08-22-2017, 02:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Yes, I prefer the second over the first, with the sun more defined. I agree about the effects of the clouds. To me it has the feeling that I'm there at the beginning of creation with everything in a vaporous soup. Well done and thanks for sharing. Sure glad you caved in.
At my monitor at home, the eclipse is visible in both photos. But here at work, where the monitor is probably set too bright, it's not visible in the first photo, and barely visible in the second. Maybe I should dial it down a bit more.
08-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Don't rule sunspots out, a friend here in Nova Scotia where we got a almost 50% solar coverage was able to see major sunspot activity along with some solar flaring in the upper hemisphere during the eclipse through a solar telescope