Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
Inactive Account

[QUOTE=hwblanks;322437]Before I do anything though, I'm going to wait until after Photokina before taking any action one way or another. QUOTE]

I am ready to walk out the door and trade in my K10D for a K20D, but checked the web after your comment. Photokina is only a month away, so why not wait to then like you say.

From Photokina 2008 Preview - Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources | Photography Bay

Pentax
As noted below, the Pentax K20D was developed in conjunction with the Samsung GX-20. Samsungís rumors of a full frame DSLR in development could be signs of whatís to come for Pentax as well. For some time now, Pentax has been rumored to be developing a digital 645 medium format camera. That project was apparently put on hold a few months back, which certainly seems to endorse rumors of the development of a full frame DSLRs. In summary, we could see a Pentax K2D at Photokina 2008 that sports a 20+ megapixel sensor as a step up from the 14 megapixel K20D.

Samsung
The Samsung GX-20 was co-developed with the Pentax K20D. Unfortunately for Samsung, the GX-20 has been overshadowed by the Pentax K20D even though they are nearly the same camera. Recent news of a full-frame Samsung camera has boosted the buzz about Samsungís DSLR plans though. Whether Samsung will announce the GX-2 (or whatever itíll be called) at Photokina remains to be seen.

08-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm gonna hold off till the end of Photokina as well.. If nothing new is coming out, a K20D it is
08-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
Well, I own a pair of K10D bodies for work as well as a *ist DL for travel/backup and I had the K20D for about a month on loan to write a review:

Pentax K20D Review

Although there is a lot to love about the K20D, it's more of an "evolutionary" replacement for the K10D rather than a "revolutionary" replacement.

By that, I mean the K10D absolutely slaughters every Pentax DSLR that came before it. The K20D, on the other hand, just offers a couple of nice features that the K10D lacks.

I decided not to purchase the K20D, but if anything happened to either of my K10D bodies I would buy the K20D in a heartbeat.

What I really want is something to replace my DL as a travel DSLR. I like the K200D okay, but it's MUCH heavier and slightly bulkier than the DL. The K200D is so close in size/weight to the K10D/K20D that you might as well carry the K10D/K20D if you're going to carry the K200D.
Interesting review, Jerry. Very comprehensive. It doesn't seem to match my experience, but I didn't do the side by side comparison. I just know that the high ISO shots I get with the K20D are much better than the lower ISO shots I got with my K10D. Also, I never really checked the AF performance on my K10D, but I know my K20D (especially with the 50-135) will keep up with just about anything, even in low light. I shot rodeo where I needed ISO2500 at f/2.8 and 1/180s and I got a lot of shots that were spot on. Finally, my K20D seems more accurate with the exposure, but the K10D was consistent in the underexposure, so it was easy to deal with.

Again, I can't argue with your findings, but I can't say they match my day to day experience. Maybe I'm just subconsciously justifying my purchase?