Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
The wrong focal length IBIS

With older lenses Focal length isn't communicated to the camera body. Is it possible to make images worse with the wrong IBIS
with say a 35 - 105mm lens if IBIS is set to say 35mm and you zoom to 105mm how negative an effect is that? Is there an improvement or would it be worse than no stabilization at all?

08-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blackest Quote
With older lenses Focal length isn't communicated to the camera body. Is it possible to make images worse with the wrong IBIS
with say a 35 - 105mm lens if IBIS is set to say 35mm and you zoom to 105mm how negative an effect is that? Is there an improvement or would it be worse than no stabilization at all?
It's fine. Generally the rule of thumb with zooms is to set image stabilization to the low end of the zoom.
08-23-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

When you mount a lens that does not communicate focal length, you have to input it by hand. You should input the exact number.
Problem is the numbers you can't input and zoom lenses.
Yes, SR can make pictures more blurry. I think its only when the focal length that you input is higher than the actual one. Then the SR might overcompensate and introduce blur. If the input number is lower, the SR will simply be less effective, but it won't add blur.

With primes, you should input the exact number or the nearest wider number. For zooms people usually input the lowest number they will be using. Some people use 70-200mm zoom only at 200mm, so you can input 200. If you will only use it between 100 and 200, input 100. If you will use it in the whole range, from 70 to 200, then input 70.
OR you can input 200mm and disable SR when you zoom to a lower number, since you might not need SR if you are at 100mm with good light conditions.

On my manual lenses I input nearest wider number. In strong light, I might not even use SR (if shutter speed is really fast).
08-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
When you mount a lens that does not communicate focal length, you have to input it by hand. You should input the exact number.
Problem is the numbers you can't input and zoom lenses.
Yes, SR can make pictures more blurry. I think its only when the focal length that you input is higher than the actual one. Then the SR might overcompensate and introduce blur. If the input number is lower, the SR will simply be less effective, but it won't add blur.

With primes, you should input the exact number or the nearest wider number. For zooms people usually input the lowest number they will be using. Some people use 70-200mm zoom only at 200mm, so you can input 200. If you will only use it between 100 and 200, input 100. If you will use it in the whole range, from 70 to 200, then input 70.
OR you can input 200mm and disable SR when you zoom to a lower number, since you might not need SR if you are at 100mm with good light conditions.

On my manual lenses I input nearest wider number. In strong light, I might not even use SR (if shutter speed is really fast).
Thank you both for your rapid replies, so better short rather than long. It's a shame it lives in the menu's, would love it if you could just hit a button and use a command dial. to set focal length I'm starting to add user modes to my camera I mainly use aperture priority with catch in focus on and off I don't know if focal lengths could go in as a user mode. times like this i wish we had a 'magic lantern' for Pentax.

08-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yea, Pentax firmware was really good, but it could use an update with some more user options

so better short rather than long.
I think so. Only exception is when you are in macro range. Some user did tests that in macro, with high magnification, you can actually use slightly longer for maximum effect. But in macro range you usually use a tripod anyway (and SR should be disabled when using tripod)
08-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's a shame it lives in the menu's, would love it if you could just hit a button and use a command dial. to set focal length
On the K1 you can. It is in/can be added to the info menu....accessible by pressing INFO
08-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
On the K1 you can. It is in/can be added to the info menu....accessible by pressing INFO
One more reason to get a K1 unfortunately it's not likely in the near future...

I was experimenting with the user modes on the k5 and found i couldnt use green button metering on a manual mode or at least i couldn't make it work.

user modes do seem to remember focal lengths though which might be handy for ka lenses.

08-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was experimenting with the user modes on the k5 and found i couldnt use green button metering on a manual mode or at least i couldn't make it work
No reason why that should be the case..... unless ..... Did you create the USER mode before you changed the menu setting to "enable aperture ring"? The USER mode may still have that setting off
08-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
No reason why that should be the case..... unless ..... Did you create the USER mode before you changed the menu setting to "enable aperture ring"? The USER mode may still have that setting off
Ok that was weird i now have it working
08-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
jup

One more reason to get a K1 unfortunately it's not likely in the near future...
KP has the same functionality. You can add focal length setting to INFO menu for quick access. I am pretty sure any K-3ii replacement will have that too.
08-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On your original post, if you have the IBIS set too long, say shooting with a 28-105, and have it set at 105 but shoot at 28, you will introduce some blur, especially in any low light situation.
Don't ask me how I know...
08-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #12

The longer the focal length the more the sensor has to move to correct any movement. If the entered value is less than the actual focal length the movements will be in right direction but not big enough to cancel all shake. So a net improvement is seen.
If the focal length entered is slightly too high the sensor will move too much, but may still be an improvement on unstabilsed if the error is not too great.
I suspect if the focal length entered is more than twice the real focal length the corrective movement may become greater than the original shake making matters worse.

I believe the actual relationship will be down to FOV rather than focal length, but why complicate matters!