Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel Shift

I wonder if there will ever be software that can reverse Pixel Shift from an image file and separate it into the component four images?

08-24-2017, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I wonder if there will ever be software that can reverse Pixel Shift from an image file and separate it into the component four images?
Once they are combined there's nothing you can do to get the original images back, but I believe there's already software out there (DarkTable perhaps) which can split a pixel shifted raw file into the 4 constituent images saved in it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Perhaps there is some faint hope for many of my eclipse images, then. The Moon does well with pixel shift much of the time, but totality caused the pixel shifted DNG RAW files to come out with bad color fringes- green on the left and magenta on the right.
08-24-2017, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
jup

The in camera RAW development, at least on KP, can turn the pixel shift off (I don't think you have any control over which image it uses, but it should just use one). RawTherapee can give you any image from PixelShift DNG - just go to RAW -> Demosaicing and select one of the images.

Yes, there is a hope.

08-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Perhaps there is some faint hope for many of my eclipse images, then. The Moon does well with pixel shift much of the time, but totality caused the pixel shifted DNG RAW files to come out with bad color fringes- green on the left and magenta on the right.
Easy- open the files in the Pentax software and you'll be able to save a JPEG with pixel shift disabled.

Pixel shift should never be used for moving objects and the moon certain qualifies as such IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2017, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The software that came with the K3 allows you to turn off pixel shift from the dng which (as far as I understand), is the same as choosing the first image.

08-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jup Quote
The in camera RAW development, at least on KP, can turn the pixel shift off (I don't think you have any control over which image it uses, but it should just use one). RawTherapee can give you any image from PixelShift DNG - just go to RAW -> Demosaicing and select one of the images.

Yes, there is a hope.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

---------- Post added 08-24-17 at 08:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Easy- open the files in the Pentax software and you'll be able to save a JPEG with pixel shift disabled.

Pixel shift should never be used for moving objects and the moon certain qualifies as such IMO.
I'll check the K-70 Pentax software (oh how I hate to use Silkypix)- thanks. I've had hit-and-miss success with moon shots and pixel shift. Seems to work spectacularly half of the time on a full moon, but never on a crescent.

08-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
jup

I've had hit-and-miss success with moon shots and pixel shift. Seems to work spectacularly half of the time on a full moon, but never on a crescent.
I wonder, and this is just a speculation, if you zoom more when shooting a crescent.

As Adam said, Pixel Shift only works well with non-moving objects - which basically means, the subject shouldn't move across the pixel boundary between the time first and last image is taken - otherwise, you'll have issues. Since this is a common problem, both Pentax software and RawTherapee have movement detection mode. But what RT does (and what probably Pentax does as well) is when it detects movement, it will fall back to using single image only for the areas where the movement happened. So you won't get any advantage from using Pixel Shift and you could still get issues since movement does not always have to be detected (my understanding is, since with Pixel Shift, two of the four images are green channel, one of the easier ways to detect the movement is compare these two images for any changes, but that has its limits).
08-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jup Quote
I wonder, and this is just a speculation, if you zoom more when shooting a crescent.
Haha nope, DA*300...
08-25-2017, 12:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Rawtherapee is by far the best program for pixelshifted images, especially if there is motion involved. There are lots of options and possibilities to fade out problematic areas, or save each picture as single images.
08-25-2017, 02:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Rawtherapee is by far the best program for pixelshifted images, especially if there is motion involved. There are lots of options and possibilities to fade out problematic areas, or save each picture as single images.
Can I save out a single raw from the pixel shift stack in Rawtherapy? Just got the latest build and am working with it.
08-25-2017, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can I save out a single raw from the pixel shift stack in Rawtherapy? Just got the latest build and am working with it.
You can. Just use amaze and then choose whichever image of the four seems to be sharpest. You might check out Squirrel Mafia's RT thread as he has some nice presets for development there.
08-25-2017, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

As a picture (tiff, jpeg) yes, but I don't know if you can save it as a new rawfile (dng).