Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2017, 01:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 or similar with wrist strap

I've always used a neck strap with my Pentax bodies, but I'm aiming to re-purpose my K3 as a walkabout option and was wondering if anyone successfully uses a wrist strap with a larger body and say a 350/400g lens ?

I've a birthday coming up and I've been thinking a leather wrist strap. Ok a bit posey, and really not me, but I was thinking black K3/ silver lens/leather wrist strap. Dunno why, to be honest, as I much prefer to be discrete, but maybe it's a age thing ... Anyway, colour and material apart, a wrist rather than neck strap anyone ?

Thanks

08-26-2017, 02:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup - for over a year now the K3 (prestige) with a Gordys camera strap, and three limited lenses has been my everyday carry. I purchased the extra leather pad in dark brown, strap in black and wrapping thread in dark brown and the DA21Ltd is silver as in pic below. Usually I use a leather messenger bag now and carry the two off camera lenses in a pouch I cobbled together from a pencil/pen case as below.
(M40 has been replaced with black DA40Ltd, M40 now sits on MX) this system works really well for everyday but if the target for the day requires a long tele then I will change to a neck strap which is only a quick job. The single drawback is that with the strap fitted the use of the vertical grip on the battery pack no longer works as the strap prevents the hand from moving that far away from the strap lug - an extra few inches in the strap would be the solution. I usually just have the neck strap on when I use the battery grip.

The Gordys website is worth a look - lots of examples of different combos and colours. I have had zero issues with build or design - highly recommended - There is no sign of movement in the lug of the camera - there is some stress on it but seems to be unaffected. The little ring seems to take the abuse and these can be replaced.
08-26-2017, 02:52 AM   #3
Forum Member

I use a silver K3 (without grip) with a hand made leather strap from here:

Shop 1901 ? 1901 fotografi

Great light travel kit. Great quality strap. Free nostalgic whiff of fine leather each time you get it out the bag too!

I usually use Ltd primes with it but have used a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 without the weight seeming to be an issue.
08-26-2017, 04:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I couldn't handle the weight on my neck, so for years I walked around with the camera in hand and the neck strap almost dragging on the ground.
I then bought a neoprene wrist strap and couldn't be happier. (The leather ones sound good!)
There is no weight on the strap so it doesn't matter what weight lens is attached. The strap is just insurance against dropping.
For longer walks I have a B-grip holster, but I haven't used it yet.

08-26-2017, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not leather as OP requested but an option

my standard set up is a https://optechusa.com/utility-strap-sling.htmlOp/Tech USA utility sling plus a Camera Hand Strap | Ultra Fit Hand Strap With Ultra Plate

the sling hangs cross body ( over my head and towards my hip ). it attaches to the upper attachment point with a quick release clip so it can be removed quickly

the hand grip attaches in two places, the upper attachment point, ( there is room for both on the same attachment point on my K 3 and K 5 II ) and the ultra plate attaches to the tripod point. It gives you an tripod attachment

*** the only down side is that the ultra plate attaches with an " Allen " (hex) wrench instead of a twist or coin screw head and it must be removed before you have access to the battery in the camera body

since I use the battery grip for the K 3 and K 5 II, that isn't usually a problem in the field because I can access the battery in the grip w/o moving the ultra plate. ***

using both at once, I have the option of helping with weight on the sling ( or excessive swinging ) by grabbing the hand strap.

due to the quick release clip on the sling, I can detach it if I want just the hand strap or I put the camera and lens on a tripod

I have used it with the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW - 2325 g (82.0 oz.) w/ hood & tripod mount + HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter- 126g (4.4 oz) - without fear of either the sling or hand strap failing

here

( 1) I don't have the rear converter mounted, just the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW - 2325 g (82.0 oz.) w/ hood & tripod mount

(2) my thumb is under the hang grip strap [ the lens mounted is the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR [ Weight (w/o Hood) 488 g (16 oz) ]

(3) showing attachment point and sling's quick release clip
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-26-2017 at 04:43 AM.
08-26-2017, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Yup - for over a year now the K3 (prestige) with a Gordys camera strap, and three limited lenses has been my everyday carry. I purchased the extra leather pad in dark brown, strap in black and wrapping thread in dark brown and the DA21Ltd is silver as in pic below. Usually I use a leather messenger bag now and carry the two off camera lenses in a pouch I cobbled together from a pencil/pen case as below.
(M40 has been replaced with black DA40Ltd, M40 now sits on MX) this system works really well for everyday but if the target for the day requires a long tele then I will change to a neck strap which is only a quick job. The single drawback is that with the strap fitted the use of the vertical grip on the battery pack no longer works as the strap prevents the hand from moving that far away from the strap lug - an extra few inches in the strap would be the solution. I usually just have the neck strap on when I use the battery grip.

The Gordys website is worth a look - lots of examples of different combos and colours. I have had zero issues with build or design - highly recommended - There is no sign of movement in the lug of the camera - there is some stress on it but seems to be unaffected. The little ring seems to take the abuse and these can be replaced.

Thanks Arjay, that looks like a nice set-up. I'll take a look at the Gordys ...

---------- Post added 08-26-17 at 01:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I couldn't handle the weight on my neck, so for years I walked around with the camera in hand and the neck strap almost dragging on the ground.
I then bought a neoprene wrist strap and couldn't be happier. (The leather ones sound good!)
There is no weight on the strap so it doesn't matter what weight lens is attached. The strap is just insurance against dropping.
For longer walks I have a B-grip holster, but I haven't used it yet.
Thanks Rod, I'm getting the impression a wrist strap might well be workable ...

---------- Post added 08-26-17 at 01:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
my standard set up is a https://optechusa.com/utility-strap-sling.htmlOp/Tech USA utility sling plus a Camera Hand Strap | Ultra Fit Hand Strap With Ultra Plate

the sling hangs cross body ( over my head and towards my hip ). it attaches to the upper attachment point with a quick release clip so it can be removed quickly

the hand grip attaches in two places, the upper attachment point, ( there is room for both on the same attachment point on my K 3 and K 5 II ) and the ultra plate attaches to the tripod point. It gives you an tripod attachment

*** the only down side is that the ultra plate attaches with an " Allen " (hex) wrench instead of a twist or coin screw head and it must be removed before you have access to the battery in the camera body

since I use the battery grip for the K 3 and K 5 II, that isn't usually a problem in the field because I can access the battery in the grip w/o moving the ultra plate. ***

using both at once, I have the option of helping with weight on the sling ( or excessive swinging ) by grabbing the hand strap.

due to the quick release clip on the sling, I can detach it if I want just the hand strap or I put the camera and lens on a tripod

I have used it with the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW - 2325 g (82.0 oz.) w/ hood & tripod mount + HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter- 126g (4.4 oz) - without fear of either the sling or hand strap failing

here

( 1) I don't have the rear converter mounted, just the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW - 2325 g (82.0 oz.) w/ hood & tripod mount

(2) my thumb is under the hang grip strap [ the lens mounted is the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR [ Weight (w/o Hood) 488 g (16 oz) ]

(3) showing attachment point and sling's quick release clip
Very many thanks for taking the time to explain and demonstrate your set-up. The flexibility looks good...
08-26-2017, 06:18 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
In nearly 10 years of using Pentax DSLRs, I have never even opened the neck strap packed in the box with the camera. Neck straps have always seemed to be in the way and inconvenient. Hand strap/hand grips free me up to concentrate only on making a picture and not fighting with the strap that seems to always be in the way. I carry the camera in a holster style bag, and take it out when I use the camera. A couple of favorites are:

NOOSE - Camera Wrist Strap | Crumpler

Fabric. It seems as though Crumpler has discontinued the actual Noose that I have, which do not have the quick release but look just like the one in the link. The strap is light, and, it does not grip or stick to your wrist like the Op-Tech neoprene straps. I purchased spares a few years ago, so still have some of the non quick release models. Have never been let down by mine, and I use them on both of my K5s, gripped, and un-gripped, as well as my gripped K5IIs.

Camdapter

Leather. All time favorite is the Camdapter Pro Strap. Beautiful leather, made to last a lifetime, and, available in several colors. This is what I use with my gripped K1 and K3II. The website is a bit confusing, but the pro strap is the one pictured in the lower right hand corner in the page link. They offer standard, Manfrotto, and Arca compatible bottom-of-camera adapter plates, too. Fit and finish is exceptional, and, if you order direct, it seems as though the owner of the company personally assembles, packs, and USPS Priority mails your item. I have also purchased these from Adorama and B&H.
08-26-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Had a couple of neoprene Sling Action Straps, and a knock-off clone, for a few years, and they seem to work fine on the K-30 & K-5/K-3/K-3 II with/without grips fitted, and with both short and very long lenses. Not sure if you can still get those?

Last edited by jeallen01; 08-26-2017 at 03:28 PM.
09-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also prefer holster or messenger bag plus strap/grip. I've been using Peak Design's Clutch and love it; it's hard to imagine going back to holding a camera for very long without one, between the peace of mind and the ergonomics.
09-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I ended up with a 4V Design | Best leather camera strap | Leather camera strap | Camera strap | Vintage leather camera strap wrist strap. Pricey, yes, but it was a birthday present. It does work well, fitting nicely on my wrist and the inside of the strap is soft and comfortable.

I ended up putting a silver 20-40 on the K3. Changed the silver lens cap for a black on. Fitted a black b+w protective filter to give a nice ring of block below the 20-40's narrow hood. Fitted the wrist strap (washed green/cyan), and you know what it looks rather quirky, I like that. I wanted to free myself up in use, as well as I actually surprised myself that I was in any way bothered what it looked like.

I also like the 20-40. I was fed up with changing primes (I do that for my 'proper' photo work). This was a fun set-up. The 20-40, balances very well. Is light and the narrow focal range is fine as I was just using 21 & 35 anyway. Lovely rendering. Sharp enough for intended use. Focuses nice and close too. It's a brilliant walkabout lens for me. And another thing I found works well, is I've fitted the K3 with a quick release plate and carry a light monopod, which is allowing me to get safely to around 1/20th thus allowing me to mostly keep the ISO in the 100-400 range I prefer for the K3. Also the monopod is handy as a weapon - think dogs, cattle, etc ... Easier to swing than my normal heavy tripod. Liberating ...

Back to the strap. It's a real gem. A nice birthday present ...
09-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've thought about the 20-40 as well and for the same reasons.

Great looking strap, I hope you enjoy it!
09-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
Camera Hand Strap - Rapid Fire Heavy Duty Safety Wrist Strap by Altura Photo w/ 2 Alternate Connections for Use w/ Large DSLR or Point & Shoot Cameras (2016 Update) amazon
01-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Had a couple of neoprene Sling Action Straps, and a knock-off clone, for a few years, and they seem to work fine on the K-30 & K-5/K-3/K-3 II with/without grips fitted, and with both short and very long lenses. Not sure if you can still get those?
It's been a while, but I needed another Zing Action Strap - and, after a lot of digging, and finally a phone call to Tiffen (UK Importers of Zing products), they found that the NY warehouse apparently has the very last one available (and they then had to reactivate the product code 580-800 SABK1 !) and it will should be here next week!