Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #1

"memory card error" after K10D fell: prognostic?

Hi,

I'm currently traveling in Asia with a K10D and a K100D. I dropped the K10 on a forest trail a couple of days ago, and "memory card error" shows up on the screen when I turn the camera on and it won't take a picture (the viewfinder is also cracked, but I can still see fairly well). I've checked the card on the other body, nothing wrong with it, tried the K10 with other cards - same result. Everything else seems to be working: auto-focus, metering, menus and programs....
What's the likely verdict, does it sound really bad? Anything I can do to fix this myself, or will I have to wait until I come back for a repair? Any ballpark figure for the costs?
Thanks to all in advance,
Nick

07-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
How did that story end?
I got perfectly the same.
K10 with 60-250 fell on the floor. The viewfinder cracked. all seems to work except it does not recognise a memory card anymore.
07-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neme-q Quote
How did that story end?
I got perfectly the same.
K10 with 60-250 fell on the floor. The viewfinder cracked. all seems to work except it does not recognise a memory card anymore.
I am sorry to bring to you the following bad diagnose.
Due to a bad internal design, a connector is probably ripped of the main circuit board, together with some PCB wires.
The main circuit board is damaged beyond economical repair.
Repair will very likely cost more than a new camera.

Now a little bit good news.
The camera probably still works with remote assistant, and I use such a camera for timelapse under linux with pkremote.

George
07-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks anyway.
It's time to think about a K-7.

Edgard