Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2008, 01:25 AM   #1

RAW bug

I tried to find thread about this topic, but couldn't find any. I'm sorry if my search wasn't good
Anyway, I noticed a bug regarding RAW button on K10D. Maybe it's not bug, but it's very annoying and I really don't see any reason to be like that. So, I have 1.3 firmware and camera set to shoot JPEG. An sometimes I press RAW button to get JPEG+RAW. And after reviewing picture/s I have taken camera goes back to JPEG only mode, altough it's set to stay in RAW+ mode until RAW button presses again!
Any toughts about that?
In last few weeks I started to shoot RAW only, but it still doesn't make any sence for me to be that way...

08-21-2008, 01:40 AM   #2

That's the way the RAW button works.
Nothing to do about it.
Yes, it sucks.
08-21-2008, 02:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
It trully sucks, because if i want to shoot RAW for some session, I'll want it until I shut off my camera!
08-21-2008, 03:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is a setting which keeps the camera in JPG + RAW until you press the button again. Are you saying you have done this and it does not work?

08-21-2008, 04:39 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
There is a setting which keeps the camera in JPG + RAW until you press the button again. Are you saying you have done this and it does not work?
It works only if you don't leave the shooting mode.
If you go to viewing mode it reverts back to JPEG only.
08-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My understanding is that if the camera is set for JPEG, I have to push the RAW button before each shot to get a RAW + JPEG. The manual mentions that you can change this to stay in RAW + until the Raw button is pushed again by changing it in the custom settings menu but I have never done this. I usually shoot in one or the other so I don't use this feature much. I don't think it is a bug, its just the way it works.
08-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well yes, bug is wrong word. Better to say, it's a drawback. Because, if I want to shoot some session or some pics in RAW, it should stay on until I shut off the camera, and not when I just review picture I have just take...
08-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
Well yes, bug is wrong word. Better to say, it's a drawback. Because, if I want to shoot some session or some pics in RAW, it should stay on until I shut off the camera, and not when I just review picture I have just take...
Your camera behaves just like mine.
Maybe it is a bug, maybe a featurem, who can tell.

Why not choose RAW + JPG as a standard? Memory is cheap these days.
Or, forget JPG, just stick to RAW and get yourself a copy of Lightroom, works much better that way.

- Bert

08-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It is the way the camera behaves...then again, choosing RAW is as easy as a touch of a button from on of your left fingertips instead of searching for it in a menu screen. How about that feature?
08-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Your camera behaves just like mine.
Maybe it is a bug, maybe a featurem, who can tell.

Why not choose RAW + JPG as a standard? Memory is cheap these days.
Or, forget JPG, just stick to RAW and get yourself a copy of Lightroom, works much better that way.

- Bert
I took the last option, myself. If I want jpg output, it is hardly ever at full size/quality. You can downsize to anything, but upsizing (even with top notch programs) is not really a good option. I used to shoot Velvia when I was after top quality, and now I get it without the cost. <INSERT BIG GRIN HERE>.

I get over 244 images per 4 Gb card - that's 7.78 rolls of 36 exposure film. And I have 2 4 Gb cards and a 2 Gb. That's enough for a day's shooting.

I did just buy a LaCie 500 Gb USB drive, though - but that is about the same cash as 6 rolls of Velvia, processed, and holds a lot more 'slides'. With Lightroom, I can even find the shots! That's a bit harder hunting through my cubic meter of slides and negatives.