Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Inactive Account

digital replacement for Pentax MZ-5?

Dear all,

I have an analoge Pentax MZ-5 and I would like to replace it by a digital camera with comparable functions/level. If possible I would like to continue using my 'old' lenses, one tamron AF 28-200 and a Pentax smc FA 28-70.
With which digital Pentax DSLR(s) would that be possible? Which one would you recommend? What other functions are important and is there anything else I should consider? I am not very experienced with digital photography.. and I will be happy about any help! Thanks in advance and
Best regards,

08-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Astroid Quote
Dear all,

I have an analoge Pentax MZ-5 and I would like to replace it by a digital camera with comparable functions/level. If possible I would like to continue using my 'old' lenses, one tamron AF 28-200 and a Pentax smc FA 28-70.
With which digital Pentax DSLR(s) would that be possible? Which one would you recommend? What other functions are important and is there anything else I should consider? I am not very experienced with digital photography.. and I will be happy about any help! Thanks in advance and
Best regards,
Hi Astroid

I went from the MZ-5 (which I still have) to a K10D, to my mind a very good camera indeed. Like you I had the Pentax smc FA 28-70 and also a Tokina 75-300 with the MZ-5 and both perform just fine on the K10D, the only thing you will need to be aware of is the focal length increases by 1.5 due to the sensor in the digital camera being smaller than standard 35 mm film. For instance the FA 28-70 performs as if it were a 42-105.

I can only speak of the K10D from personal experience but posts on this forum indicate that all Pentax digital cameras are very good and so it comes down to what you can afford and what functions you want.

Regards
Brian
08-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Also made a jump from ZX-5n with FA28-70/4 and some manual primes...

I went with the K100D because of price and included shake reduction. SR is great! I dont shoot with a tripod, and even rarely take the monopod with me. I am convinced that SR is saving pictures for me.

The digital sensors in pentax bodies are smaller than 35mm film. Thus the pictures you take with your current lenses will not include the outer edges. Its as if you cropped the edges off. The field of view shrinks AS IF you were increasing the focal length by 1.5 on your old film camera. the focal lengths do NOT change. the magnification of the lenses do not change. The DOF does not change, etc...

You might want a kit lens to get your wide angle usage back. 28mm is "normal" on the DSLR. You might miss the wide-angle. I recommend a K100D super (if you can find one), the K100D next either with a 18-55 kit lens. Its a great kit to transition with.

There was a LOT more to learn for me than I expected. It took a while to get used to setting white balance, setting ISO before shooting. Its different checking histograms with digital preview to dial in your exposure. You get instant feedback ... no more waiting to find out you blew it.

If you get the K100D "super" or the K200, K10, K20 you will get SDM support to autofocus with newer lenses that dont support the old screw drive. ALL the bodies support your old lenses... but some new lenses will only autofocus on new DSLRs. Some will do either. I dont miss it because the lenses are expensive... the DA*16-50, DA*50-135

The upcoming 17-70 will ONLY AF with SDM support.
08-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am another MZ-S to K10 user. The K10 is less menu dependent, as is its next generation K20, than most of the other digital cameras out there. I lost no functionality at all going from one to the other. I gained the instant film speed change (ISO), and with the latest firmware it's simply {OK} + front e-dial. I also gained the shake reduction, and lost the wide end. I bought the 16-50 to take care of the wide, and because I have often run out at 24mm/16mm, added the 12-24. One happy camper here, who is still using three manual focus lenses, two of them M serires (No Auto aperture control).