Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2017, 07:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Anyone upgraded from K-30 to K-P or K-3II

Hi All,

I'm keen to upgrade my K-30 body to a K-P but have one major hurdle - The wife. We buy all our equipment together so I need to convince her that it's worth the £££. All the technical jargon wont make any sense to her so I was wondering if anyone is in current ownership of a K-30 & a K-P or K-3II? If yes then do you think it would be possible to please PLEASE post a similar pic taken by your K-30 & by your K-P/K-3II using the same lens? Apologies for this, I know its a lot to ask

Thank you

09-02-2017, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just subscribing...im in the same situation

09-02-2017, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Simple, buy the K-P, change the wife.
09-02-2017, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Smart ass.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but my wife and I took comparison images with a 28-105 at 35mm on a K-6 and 50mm on my K-1 and on a 4k monitor, we couldn't see any difference on her 4k monitor. My guess is your K-30 will be just as good as the K-5.

The one way I could conceivably pull this off would be taking a bird images with my K-5 and some with my K-3 from the same position, and then crop them to show how much bigger the K-3 image would be, also showing how much more subject resolution you might get.. That's a 16 MP vs 24 MP type comparison. But that's the best I could possibly do. In terms of a comparison image.

I bought my 24 MP sensor for birding, so that's what made sense to me.

09-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I cracked up when I read that... Although she did not

---------- Post added 09-02-17 at 05:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Smart ass.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but my wife and I took comparison images with a 28-105 at 35mm on a K-6 and 50mm on my K-1 and on a 4k monitor, we couldn't see any difference on her 4k monitor. My guess is your K-30 will be just as good as the K-5.

The one way I could conceivably pull this off would be taking a bird images with my K-5 and some with my K-3 from the same position, and then crop them to show how much bigger the K-3 image would be, also showing how much more subject resolution you might get.. That's a 16 MP vs 24 MP type comparison. But that's the best I could possibly do. In terms of a comparison image.

I bought my 24 MP sensor for birding, so that's what made sense to me.
Thanks Normhead... I'll take your point re the comparison...
09-02-2017, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ducky,

I think one of the greatest improvements from the K-30 is high ISO / low light performance. Try comparing sample shots from both bodies at ISO 12000. DP Review has a Studio Comparison tool that allows you to do just that. In addition to higher resolution you will find that the newer sensors have lower noise, better color, and a bit more dynamic range. I do a lot of indoor sports photography where flashes are not allowed. A K-30 would really struggle with that. However, if you find yourself shooting at lower ISO settings in good light then you may not notice as much of a difference.

Also think about autofocus performance. While it is highly dependent on the lens the algorithms in the camera also contribute to overall performance.

There could also be some other "must-have" function in the newer body that will help progress your photography.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with the K-30. I still use mine even though the aperture control mechanism is busted. It works great with manual lenses.
09-02-2017, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Ducky,

I think one of the greatest improvements from the K-30 is high ISO / low light performance. Try comparing sample shots from both bodies at ISO 12000. DP Review has a Studio Comparison tool that allows you to do just that. In addition to higher resolution you will find that the newer sensors have lower noise, better color, and a bit more dynamic range. I do a lot of indoor sports photography where flashes are not allowed. A K-30 would really struggle with that. However, if you find yourself shooting at lower ISO settings in good light then you may not notice as much of a difference.

Also think about autofocus performance. While it is highly dependent on the lens the algorithms in the camera also contribute to overall performance.

There could also be some other "must-have" function in the newer body that will help progress your photography.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with the K-30. I still use mine even though the aperture control mechanism is busted. It works great with manual lenses.
When my K30 finally busrts I'll use it the same way as M body and start looking at KP while using K-S2

09-02-2017, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Albums
After having a K100D and a K200D, I picked up a K-30. It was fantastic, and I was able to get many great images from in 2-3 years.

However, when I finally bought a K-3II, the difference was quickly noticeable. The metal build of the K3 is an immediate improvement. It just feels like a proper camera, and makes the K-30 feel much more like a toy. The larger battery and dual card slots are also big improvements. Improved ISO, AF, FPS and top panel LCD make it a done deal.

I quickly sold my K-30 to fund the purchase of a second K-3. If you can convince the wife, I'd go for it.

Without having used a K-P, I see no reason to even consider it when you can get a K3 or K3II.

Cheers!

Last edited by 1434; 09-02-2017 at 11:00 AM.
09-02-2017, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducky13 Quote
Hi All,

I'm keen to upgrade my K-30 body to a K-P but have one major hurdle - The wife. We buy all our equipment together so I need to convince her that it's worth the £££. All the technical jargon wont make any sense to her so I was wondering if anyone is in current ownership of a K-30 & a K-P or K-3II? If yes then do you think it would be possible to please PLEASE post a similar pic taken by your K-30 & by your K-P/K-3II using the same lens? Apologies for this, I know its a lot to ask

Thank you
Well this might be a bit of a stretch but, on this page you can see how much better the K-3 is than the K-50 (=K-30):
Pentax K-S1 Review - Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Then on this page you can see that the KP just blows the K-3 out of the water at high ISO:
Pentax K-70 Review - General Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

So you can use the argument that all of your photos of her will be crystal-clear whenever, wherever

If the KP is too much, you can also get the K-70, which has the same image quality as the KP (just lower top ISO). The K-70 is essentially the modern equivalent of the K-30 in terms of the Pentax lineup.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-02-2017, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Ducky... (sorry I had to say that [it's a UK joke folks])
I still have and use my K-50, and really appreciate it's size. I bought the K-3ii for it's many features when my K-50 was in for repair (I broke the front casing) and it took a looong time. Otherwise I would probably have traded and now I'm glad I didn't have that option as I still enjoy using it.
I found that the lack of AA filter and higher resolution of the K-3ii made a difference to the images I took.

The shot below was hand held, in great light at 135mm on the 18-135, you know the one that's supposed to soft at the long end. It's straight out of camera too. Zoom into it and keep going and it doesn't fall apart at all, even the corner with detail is decent. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Get the KP because you want it anyway, and keep the K-30 as I think it will be worth more to you than the trade in value. Get your wife to shoot with the K-30 and we'll see you again when the conversation turns to her now owning the KP and should you get the awesome K3iii. Then we'll repeat..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
09-02-2017, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

FWIW, I have both the K-30 & K-3 II, and these were my comments I made in a lens review - the same lens out-resolved the K-30 when attached to my K-3 II in a back-to-back test
That said, I still keep the K-30 and that same lens as my go-to combo for days out and holidays as it weighs somewhat less, and it's less "valuable" if something "bad" happens

---------- Post added 09-02-17 at 10:43 PM ----------

Recipe for a "very" expensive divorce - other options would be cheaper!
09-02-2017, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just remind her that the k-30 aperture block will fail in a few weeks when you most need it, but the K3ii should run and run.....

---------- Post added 09-02-17 at 04:07 PM ----------

Then remind her of the built in Astro mode, flu card integration..... 2 SD slots...... mirror-up mode, pixel shift......
09-02-2017, 03:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian.morgan Quote
Just remind her that the k-30 aperture block will fail in a few weeks when you most need it, but the K3ii should run and run.....
I have k30 with failing....ks2 is fine...k1 is too much for me and KP reminds me MX...until K30 works...then black KP...will be good with DA 40 and 70

09-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a k3 and bought a kp for my girlfriends (but i use that too sometimes) and i can say that the kp has other advantages over the k3 and k3II besides iq. almost everything is a bit improved, af is a bit more determined with less microadjustment. also the way in which you can customise the buttons and wheels, and did i mention the size? try and handle one and you will see what i mean. i am sure you already know the tech stuff, so i will not repeat it. buy one at a reputable store and send it back if you dont like it. its worth a try
09-02-2017, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I just received my K-3ii after using both the K-30 and K-50 and i happy with my decision to upgrade. I've only had the K-3ii for a week but right away i notice the faster more accurate auto focus. I see improvements across the board but i'm not sure all those things will show up in comparison of photos? The K-30 is very capable of great photos too, it's all the other things the K-3ii does that makes it a great camera.