Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

K70 or Panasonic GX85? A choice to make

First off, please forgive me if this thread seems redundant. There are similar ones, and the answers have been helpful to me. I'm starting this one looking for some specific info.

A little background: I've been shooting on the Panasonic LX100, a compact MFT with their badging of a Leica. I think that my skill is advancing (though I have a ways to go). This camera has been helpful in learning, and produces great images at night in my opinion.

The problem with it? It's dead after 18 months. It got dust in it and couldn't cope. I know now that I need something that I can get into it and clean if need be.

I've done research and have narrowed down my choices to the K70 and Panasonic GX85 (which seems like the interchangeable brother of the LX100). Both have kit lenses, though the pack-in for the K70 has way more length and is WR. I'm used to Panasonic by now and know it's capabilities and limitations. Also it's small and inconspicuous which I dig; I live in a bad town and have had some rough shaves.

I'll try to organize these questions as best I can. First off, does the "Leica" badge on certain Panasonic lenses make a difference? Is it going to beat out a quality kit lens. The LX100 had the Leica label on it and was indeed quite good. The Panasonic/Leica lenses for mirrorless are very expensive, so am I missing out without the magic L? Also, I read somewhere that the GX85 doesn't use the whole MFT sensor but rather like 3/4th of it, does that apply to stills or just 4K? The only question that I have about Pentax (and I think the answer is yes from previous threads) is, are the lenses going to cut the mustard against Panasonic mirrorless, both regular and the Leica/Pana models?

If you've read this whole posr then you have my gratitude!

09-05-2017, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi toptenmaterial, I have no knowledge about the Panasonic, but I'm a very happy owner of a K-70. I thought I should end up with either a Canon or Nikon until the K-70 showed up in various tests.
Regarding image quality, if you haven't already done it, you could check this thread: Pentax K-70 photo samples - PentaxForums.com
09-05-2017, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My understanding with regard to the Panasonic is that the decreased sensor area used only applies to video. Still photos will use the whole sensor. As far as lenses go, there are expensive options and cheap options for both. Pentax does have some cheaper options that are sealed. I think the Leica badge is something that Panasonic has paid to use. It may mean something but I don't think Leica is involved very much in the design and manufacture of these lenses.

The K70 is a nice camera. It won't have as nice video as you find on the Panasonic, but should have better high iso and dynamic range than the Panasonic would have.

I think I would look at what lenses you would start with and look at buying over time with both systems and choose based on which system works better for you in that respect.

Last edited by Rondec; 09-05-2017 at 11:46 AM.
09-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 2 cameras have completely different purposes to my mind. What are your primary targets? Where do you most commonly shoot? Do you want a travel camera? Do you want a larger unit that will take more detailed pics (more pixels) at higher ISO??

09-05-2017, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess from my perspective, I would see the K70 as the better still photography tool, the GX85 as the better video tool. So much really does come down to glass. A K70 with an 18-135 is going to be a really reasonably priced starter camera, but you would need to get some more expensive lenses to get better results.
09-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
To clarify questions, I take pictures of buildings at night without a tripod, and also of my young daughter. I don't really shoot video. Thanks for all the responses.
09-05-2017, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-70 is going to be a much better stills camera in terms of raw image quality, especially at higher ISOs. See attached comparison between the K-70, GX-85, LX100 and KP, all at ISO 6400 and normalised to the same size. So, if stills image quality is your priority, the K-70 is a no-brainer, IMHO. That said, the GX-85 does a good job for a micro 4/3 camera, and it's real strength is in video. If video is important to you, the GX-85 is going to be a better choice

Attached Images

09-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

What Mike said!...for the stills you are shooting the K70 will do a great job.
09-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
What Mike said!...for the stills you are shooting the K70 will do a great job.
Kit lens will cut it for starters? 18-135.
09-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I use that lens on my K50,theres a thread devoted to it in the Lens section...its not actually a kit lens either,the 18-55mm is the usual KL.

It'll definitely cut it,its a versatile walk around as long as theres reasonable light.Perhaps the 2 plastic fantastics would interest you too(35f2.4 and 50f1.8)when you are indoors or early or late in the day.
09-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Also if you want to compare images at particular iso go to image resources, it will give you a good representation between color and noise. I think its more with the in camera jpeg instead of raw, but it will still give you a rough estimate

09-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Also if you want to compare images at particular iso go to image resources, it will give you a good representation between color and noise. I think its more with the in camera jpeg instead of raw, but it will still give you a rough estimate
You can download the RAWs yourself, though.
09-05-2017, 06:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can download the RAWs yourself, though.

Did not know that, is it on the same page?

09-05-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Did not know that, is it on the same page?
You go to the Test Shots thumnails, Fcsnt54, such as here for the 5D MkIII:

Canon 5D Mark III Review - Thumbnails
09-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You go to the Test Shots thumnails, Fcsnt54, such as here for the 5D MkIII:

Canon 5D Mark III Review - Thumbnails

Im guessing those are the .cr2 files for canon? Ok, so they dont have the raws for all the files just for a good number of them. I was just looking at the camera image comparison image and only saw the jpg files. Thanks for pointing it out.