Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you underexpose by default?

With the impressive dynamic range of the Pentax DSLRs I own, I set the Exposure to be at -1EV by default. I find this helpful because it's way easier to pull details out of shadows than to get them back from overexposed highlights.

One consideration with this is that different lenses from different brands tend to over, or underexpose in different ways.

Do you have a negative exposure by default?

09-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup. Nearly all my shooting is outdoors and sometimes in harsh light, so I usually have EV set to between -0.5 to -1.5, depending on the body/lens combo.
09-07-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Except in very unusual circumstances, yes.
A blown highlight is lost forever. In the Pentax world, almost any shadow is at least partially recoverable.
09-07-2017, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yep - depending on conditions it's usually -1 or -1.5 EV !

Just because my Wife's highlighted hair can return to natural colour doesn't mean you can recover detail from a Pentax highlight

09-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

yes..
09-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
Just because my Wife's highlighted hair can return to natural colour doesn't mean you can recover detail from a Pentax highlight
OK, but better not get into a discussion of shadow detail here!
09-07-2017, 07:18 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

My default is a bit higher than most. -.7 EV, but I do find that is necessary on all my cameras, Pentax, Sigma, Nikon it's the same. Like many, I prefer black shadows to blown highlights. The negative space created by a black shadow is to my mind much more pleasing than a blown highlight.

On sunsets I often go as far as -3 EV.

09-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I usually shoot M with center-weighted metering. Still, I typically aim to underexpose by up to a stop and often more depending upon conditions. I chimp and review histograms obsessively.
09-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Same. I default to -1.0
09-07-2017, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My default is a bit higher than most. -.7 EV, but I do find that is necessary on all my cameras, Pentax, Sigma, Nikon it's the same. Like many, I prefer black shadows to blown highlights. The negative space created by a black shadow is to my mind much more pleasing than a blown highlight.

On sunsets I often go as far as -3 EV.
Absolutely agree on -.7 EV. I have my K-5 and K-3 set to under-expose by .7 EV almost by default. It's much easier to correct a small amount of under-exposure, but over-exposure of e.g. blonde hair or a shiny forehead can ruin an otherwise good shot beyond repair.
09-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends a bit on the type of photography, I suppose - for landscape on a tripod, I use the histogram on manual, which is a sort of shot by shot decision making - but if you 'expose to the right' but avoid clipping, you'll usually 'underexpose' scenes with bright highlights and 'overexpose' less contrasty and darker scenes. for walkabout stuff, I usually rely on the meter and accept the results. You wouldn't normally want to shoot dark subjects against a bright background (many BIF) with a minus EV, either
09-07-2017, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I usually shoot M with center-weighted metering. Still, I typically aim to underexpose by up to a stop and often more depending upon conditions. I chimp and review histograms obsessively.
The histogram IMHO is the biggest advantage to digital photography. No one cares what the "correct" exposure is according to the meter. We only care about what the correct exposure is for the scene we are shooting right now and the way we want the final image to look.
09-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
It depends a bit on the type of photography, I suppose - for landscape on a tripod, I use the histogram on manual, which is a sort of shot by shot decision making - but if you 'expose to the right' but avoid clipping, you'll usually 'underexpose' scenes with bright highlights and 'overexpose' less contrasty and darker scenes. for walkabout stuff, I usually rely on the meter and accept the results. You wouldn't normally want to shoot dark subjects against a bright background (many BIF) with a minus EV, either
You mean a backlit subject? I would think underexposing could be useful there as well, giving you the option to have a silhouette or the dark object exposed correctly when you do post-processing.

I never cease to be amazed at how much you can bring out the shadows in post with RAW files.

But if you over-expose, sometimes the jpeg engine gets the best result
09-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

typically -.7, for all my pentax cameras
I would be lucky if i could program this via a Menuitem as my default.
09-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
typically -.7, for all my pentax cameras
I would be lucky if i could program this via a Menuitem as my default.
At least with the K-1, you can save the EV setting on the user modes