Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K5ii Eyepiece Replacement Advice

The outer eyepiece of my K5ii needs to be replaced. The little plastic frame cracked, so it won't stay on. I have kept it going with some super-glue, but it needs to be replaced.

The stock replacement piece seems to be available at Adorama, but are the opinions about whether or not that is the way to go? I know there are non-stock alternatives, but don't have any experience with anything but what came with the camera.

Thanks in advance.

09-08-2017, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't wear glasses when shooting, I'd recommend the Pentax O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece. It gives, as the name implies, a slightly magnified view (1.2x) which I find far preferable. It makes a significant difference, and it's handy for manual focusing too.
09-08-2017, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you!

I do wear glasses, mostly for reading, but I take them off when I'm shooting.
09-08-2017, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Thank you!

I do wear glasses, mostly for reading, but I take them off when I'm shooting.
You're very welcome

In which case, I think you'll love the O-ME53. The problem when wearing glasses is that it's impossible to get the eye close enough to the eyepiece to see the whole magnified frame and additional info. Without glasses, you can see it all, although you need your eye pretty much up against the surround of the eyepiece. In practice, I find it both easy and comfortable. I have an O-ME53 on every one of my Pentax and Samsung-badged DSLRs (with the exception of my *ist DL - but that may change ), and wouldn't be without them.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-09-2017 at 12:32 AM.
09-08-2017, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ordered
09-08-2017, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Me too!