Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2017, 03:15 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You obviously rather put me down than read my posts. respect-less. Please refrain from personal attacks. It is inflammatory

09-24-2017, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I am calling the use of the term 5 axis stabilisation BS. get somebody to look at your toes. They are obviously unpractically long!
First: does it make sense that a camera can measure 3-axes of rotational vibration or shake (pitch, yaw, and roll) and correct for them by moving the sensor in 3 axes (up, down, roll)? That's 3-axis SR system, right?

Second: if a next-generation camera also measures up/down, left/right linear vibration or shake (an additional 2 axes of motion X,Y) and then uses distance and focal length to correct for that, too, then isn't that properly called a 5-axis SR system?

What do you call a camera that measures 5 axes of shake motions (pitch, yaw, roll, X, and Y) and corrects for them?
09-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Three axis stabilisation with five axis measurement
09-24-2017, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

That's not what the industry calls it, D1N0.

09-24-2017, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

It also doesn't make sense. It's 5 axis stabilization because it compensates for movements on 5 axis.
No, it's not the sensor which is "stabilized" - I'd say it's actually destabilized in a controlled way - but the subject's image in relation to the sensor.

What the end user cares about is what kind of movements can be compensated for, and how effectively - how the sensor is moving is at most a curiosity. 5 axis is also a good way of telling people how your new system is compensating for more types of movement than before.
09-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #66
Pentaxian

No, it's five axes measurement to stabilize the camera against all five axes of shake.

BTW, it still does not change the fact that tilting the sensor does nothing to remove motion blur. If a camera maker did make a big deal out of tilting the sensor for SR, that would be BS because it would not improve image quality.
09-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #67
Pentaxian

The sensor only moves along three axi to compensate for image movement along three axi from the point of view of the sensor. The only thing moving along five axi is the camera. It's three axis stabilisation with yaw and pitch compensation using only three axis. (And I don't care what the industry calls it )

09-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Even if it attempts to correct pitch en yaw using just three axis (5 axis is only virtual) then still the focus plane in the image will shift. It is bs in my book.
The focus plane in the image will shift; but the amount of shifting is pretty minimal and may not affect the focus. This is because the amount of movement the sensor can compensate for is pretty small, too. If you move too far, the focus plane may shift, but it will also be to far for any image stabilization to occur, so you'll just get a blurry photo in any event.
09-25-2017, 02:38 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
the amount of shifting is pretty minimal
Not when shooting close up or macro
09-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Not when shooting close up or macro
Right, but then that is where the lateral movements, new in 5-axis, come in, right?
09-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #71
Veteran Member

What ever you want to call it, the new 5 axis ibis systems being developed are top notch and only going to be getting better. Also i dont believe the ibis has an effect on autofocus, if you look at other systems with the same setup.

09-27-2017, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Right, but then that is where the lateral movements, new in 5-axis, come in, right?
Yes, when shooting macro it's the lateral shake that dominates. Yaw and pitch shake is the same independent of maginification of the shot.
So for macro it's mainly the two extra lateral axis of compensation in 5-axis stabilisation that helps.
09-28-2017, 01:59 AM   #73
Pentaxian

I thought Ricoh recommended disabling sr when shooting macro.....
09-28-2017, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You obviously rather put me down than read my posts. respect-less. Please refrain from personal attacks. It is inflammatory
D1N0, the only person that's been inflammatory is you. Cut it out please.
09-28-2017, 05:56 AM   #75
Pentaxian

I thought Ricoh recommended disabling sr when shooting macro.....
Below is what Ricoh says.
QuoteQuote:
The PENTAX-original sensor-shift-type shake reduction mechanism has been upgraded to provide optimum compensation for all lenses used in handheld shooting. The new-generation SR II (Shake Reduction II) features a five-axis mechanism to compensate for camera shake caused by horizontal and vertical shift** (often generated in macro photography) and camera shake caused by roll, which is difficult to handle by lens-installed shake reduction mechanisms, in addition to more common camera shake caused by pitch and yaw. The SR II unit is controlled with great precision as soon as the camera’s power is turned on, and provides a wide compensation range — as much as five shutter steps*** — to expand the limits of handheld shooting.
Features2 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING