Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Another image stabilization question.

Do KAF zoom lenses communicate their current focal length to the camera?

Will IS on KAF lenses that aren’t on the start up “focal length input list” work optimally.
I’m specifically looking at a KAF 90mm, and if it were K/KA I would only be able to select 85-100mm, which the IS would work but not optimally.

I’m sure this would be self-evident if I had any KAF lenses, but currently all mine are K and KA. (spent a total of $66 on my 3 lenses )

thanks.

09-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
Yes and yes, anything with AF does.

Are you talking about the Tamron 90mm?

Also, you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference even if the camera thought it was an 85mm. SR will still work well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The interface supports focal length update, but whether a particular lens supports the feature and how granular that support is varies by lens and maker.

Will IS on KAF lenses that aren’t on the start up “focal length input list” work optimally.
Edit: Most lenses will report actual focal length and the camera will act appropriately.* For non-AF lenses, convention is to choose the next lowest focal length and not worry about whether the performance is optimal. I enter 85mm for my manual focus Tamron 90/2.8 (72B) and it works fine.

Steve

* Example: My FA 77/1.8 reports as 77mm and SR behavior is normal.

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-10-2017 at 02:50 PM.
09-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks a lot, just what I needed to know.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
-

Are you talking about the Tamron 90mm?
Yes I am.
---------------------------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The interface supports focal length update, but whether a particular lens supports the feature and how granular that support is varies by lens and maker.
What kind of wording would I look for to make sure a zoom lens can do focal length update?
Are there very many lenses that don't do it?

Thanks.

09-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Are there very many lenses that don't do it?
As long as they are autofocus, they will automatically update. Manual focus lenses won't.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: