Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
DA* lenses manufactured after 2014 should have updated hardware which is not as prone to failure, but we still get occasional reports of SDM going bad. If you use your lens regularly (i.e. don't let it sit on the shelf for weeks), this seems to also decrease the chance of SDM failing.

In any case, I'd recommend that you pair your DA* purchases with an extended third-party warranty for the peace of mind.

DC lenses as well as non-Pentax SDM (i.e. in the Tamron clone lenses- 24-70, 15-30, 18-270) are very reliable on the other hand, possibly more so than screwdrive.

Thanks Adam and all others for replies. Well I'm not using my gear regularly but when I do I really miss good fast constant zoom. 16-50 and 50-135 are just beautiful but again this sdm issue seriously forces me to think twice, I know there's a workaround but... don't want my next lens to be screwdrive.... 24-70 and 15-30 are great but because they are FF lenses I might then find myself asking questions where to buy K-1

09-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DC lenses as well as non-Pentax SDM (i.e. in the Tamron clone lenses- 24-70, 15-30, 18-270) are very reliable on the other hand, possibly more so than screwdrive.
I've never had either an SDM or screwdriver fail, so I don't even know how you'd quantify that. My F 70-210 is 30 years old now and still working. I only hope SDM lasts as long.
09-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've never had either an SDM or screwdriver fail, so I don't even know how you'd quantify that. My F 70-210 is 30 years old now and still working. I only hope SDM lasts as long.
The internal gearing can fail, most commonly on FA and DA limiteds. If you do a forum search there are quite a few others that have suffered from this issue.

My FA 43mm failed after only occasional use, though it was several years old at that point. Eric said that the parts weaken with time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

The internal gearing can fail, most commonly on FA and DA limiteds. If you do a forum search there are quite a few others that have suffered from this issue.

My FA 43mm failed after only occasional use, though it was several years old at that point. Eric said that the parts weaken with time.
Interesting.... I just assumed metal gears would be way over engineered on lenses, but maybe they don't use metal. Eric should know. He probably has a really good idea of what fails and what doesn't. I would assume a good metal gear should work for centuries, but what do I know?

In school 50 years ago we were told it was the cardboard lens spacers that went. I guess it has to be something.

09-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Interesting.... I just assumed metal gears would be way over engineered on lenses, but maybe they don't use metal. Eric should know. He probably has a really good idea of what fails and what doesn't. I would assume a good metal gear should work for centuries, but what do I know?

In school 50 years ago we were told it was the cardboard lens spacers that went. I guess it has to be something.
Right, and they often use plastic these days

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I seriously doubt that you'd get ancient new stock for the lens you mention- the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, from the aforementioned B&H or Adorama. They are among the largest retailers and have quite a turnover. They also have good business reputations. I am lucky so far, mine has been fine after some years. It is a great lens.
09-13-2017, 02:46 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been using the DA 50-135 and 16-50 for about ten years without a problem. That said, if you use lenses long enough and they have focus motors, they will eventually need servicing. If most of the lenses are making it eight or nine years before they need work done then that's probably decent. Certainly we have heard less about SDM failures in recent years than we did seven or eight years ago.

09-13-2017, 03:05 AM   #23
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I've been using the DA 50-135 and 16-50 for about ten years without a problem. That said, if you use lenses long enough and they have focus motors, they will eventually need servicing. If most of the lenses are making it eight or nine years before they need work done then that's probably decent. Certainly we have heard less about SDM failures in recent years than we did seven or eight years ago.
That's good news Rondec. Yes, everything needs to be serviced one day but not in a week of use how some users reported. I've heard someone bought this lens and it quit working in several days. I wonder how it is compared to other manufacturers? I mean servicing, how often their lenses need to be fixed, say canon for example. Some say that this SDM issue is a design flow, how about that?
09-13-2017, 05:22 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
That's good news Rondec. Yes, everything needs to be serviced one day but not in a week of use how some users reported. I've heard someone bought this lens and it quit working in several days. I wonder how it is compared to other manufacturers? I mean servicing, how often their lenses need to be fixed, say canon for example. Some say that this SDM issue is a design flow, how about that?
I don't know and it is hard to tell from the Forum. The internet tends to magnify the negative of things and we don't know what percentage of lenses were going bad in the past. Was it five percent or fifty percent at five years? The one thing I would say is that it did seem like if there was a problematic lens, it tend to continue to have problems. Some lenses had repeated failures while others never failed.

These days with the option to convert to screw drive, I would worry a lot less about it in general.
09-13-2017, 05:59 AM   #25
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I seriously doubt that you'd get ancient new stock for the lens you mention- the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, from the aforementioned B&H or Adorama. They are among the largest retailers and have quite a turnover. They also have good business reputations. I am lucky so far, mine has been fine after some years. It is a great lens.
Maybe someone got information directly from Pentax rep regarding sdm mechanism in newer lenses?....
09-13-2017, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

The information we did get was from informal, from a German Pentax repair tech who spilled the beans. I don't think there was ever an official acknowledgement of the situation. Which is in part way everyone got so mad. No one could understand why they were being so tight lipped about a situation that affected so many people and that everyone knew about.
09-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

The information we did get was from informal, from a German Pentax repair tech who spilled the beans. I don't think there was ever an official acknowledgement of the situation. Which is in part way everyone got so mad. No one could understand why they were being so tight lipped about a situation that affected so many people and that everyone knew about.
It is to be much ado with nothing.
Pentax like everybody does not want these to be overblown. Overall, SDM issue like all other hardware issue , is a hit and miss thing. I have only one SDM equipped lens. It just works beyond expectation. It does not translate into anything at all as I can be just unlucky or lucky as anyone
09-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Also I think it is important to mention as Adam pointed out to “exercise” the motors in the SDM lens occasionally. I personally shoot in spurts I might do 5,000 pictures on a trip and nothing for weeks/months on end. Every two weeks or so I get my two SDM * lens out and exercise the motors for a minute out or two. Knock on wood I am having good luck.