Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2017, 04:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Do we still have SDM issues?

I wonder if there are still issues with SDM AF in newer manufactured DA* lenses? What are the chances that it will fail if I'll get say newest 50-135mm DA* lens? maybe same question will be legal about new 70-200? well, these lenses aren't cheap right?

09-12-2017, 04:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The DFA* uses a ring type DC motor and there have been no reports about them failing more than any other drives.

The key SDM risk is that you do not know if the lens is new or has been lying around for years. Relatively recently there were "brandnew" A* lenses on sale.
09-12-2017, 05:11 AM   #3
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and there's no way to get this information prior purchasing? A* are manual...
09-12-2017, 05:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well one way to know if you got a more recent SDM * DA lens is by the box. If you also buy from a good place that has inventory turns in the US like B&H or Adorama you should be fine. They were revised back in like 3 or 4 years ago if memory serves me correct. The boxes I got at the beginning of 2017 for a 55 * and 300 * where the "newer style" silver boxes not the older black ones. Knock on wood mine have been fine.

09-12-2017, 05:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
and there's no way to get this information prior purchasing? A* are manual...
You tell me. I am not aware of any.

Dealers can have packs of products lying around in their warehouses or cellars for as long as they like.
09-12-2017, 05:21 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Relatively recently there were "brandnew" A* lenses on sale.
The A* lenses are manual lenses. There is no SDM issues with A* series lenses.
09-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Some of us never had SDM issues, well apart from it being pretty slow.

09-12-2017, 05:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The A* lenses are manual lenses. There is no SDM issues with A* series lenses.
The A* lenses are just an example of 20 year old lenses that are sold "brand new", just because someone now decided to sell them.
Obviously the same can happen even easier with DA* lenses.

Selling today doesnt mean manufactured yesterday.
09-12-2017, 05:45 AM   #9
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The A* lenses are just an example of 20 year old lenses that are sold "brand new", just because someone now decided to sell them.
Obviously the same can happen even easier with DA* lenses.

Selling today doesnt mean manufactured yesterday.

I was afraid of this answer
09-12-2017, 06:12 AM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

is there a way to determine date of manufacture with serial numbers, especially on an issue such as this?
09-12-2017, 06:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
is there a way to determine date of manufacture with serial numbers, especially on an issue such as this?
Do a statistical analysis on our PF lens serial number database.

BTW, mods, does this thread belong in the SLR lens discussion section?
09-12-2017, 06:52 AM   #12
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Do a statistical analysis on our PF lens serial number database.

BTW, mods, does this thread belong in the SLR lens discussion section?
maybe, sorry if I've posted to wrong section.
09-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't have anything to back this up other than my slightly hazy memory, but I'm sure I remember people having their SDM replaced in service centres after the revision and getting a repeat problem, so it's not necessarily guaranteed that post-revision lenses are faultless...

Regardless, it would be easier and nicer for Pentax to simply admit the issue and to supply some information about the revisions and which lenses have been 'fixed'.
09-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
I wonder if there are still issues with SDM AF in newer manufactured DA* lenses? What are the chances that it will fail if I'll get say newest 50-135mm DA* lens? maybe same question will be legal about new 70-200? well, these lenses aren't cheap right?
DA* lenses manufactured after 2014 should have updated hardware which is not as prone to failure, but we still get occasional reports of SDM going bad. If you use your lens regularly (i.e. don't let it sit on the shelf for weeks), this seems to also decrease the chance of SDM failing.

In any case, I'd recommend that you pair your DA* purchases with an extended third-party warranty for the peace of mind.

DC lenses as well as non-Pentax SDM (i.e. in the Tamron clone lenses- 24-70, 15-30, 18-270) are very reliable on the other hand, possibly more so than screwdrive.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-12-2017, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Like Norm said, some us have never had trouble. My 2009 vintage 50-135 has been on 7 different K bodies, made hundreds of thousands exposures and is still my preferred portrait lens. My 17-70 was bought used about 5. years ago and is also heavily used. Never an issue with either.
This has always been the issue. If there is a magic return percentage that triggers a recall, then the SDM lenses never reached it. How many lenses are Pentax prepared to repair needlessly to cover a few that fail.

At the time I felt that there was a tolerance issue. To a perfectly spec'd lens there was probably never an issue. A barrel that was a little tight inside a tube causing more than the anticipated friction was burning out the motors in lenses that were harder to rotate than the spec. would predict, and the motor wasn't designed for anything but straight up spec. So if tolerances went your way and the focusing mechanism was to spec or loose, you didn't have an SDM problem. In the case where the out side tube was a little under spec (but still within acceptable tolerances) and the inside was within spec but the tolerances were a little over, those lenses died. Eventually they just put in a circuit board that produced a bit more current and for many (but not all) lenses it solved the problem.

It was a design flaw for sure, and most Pentax users are appalled at the way it was handled, but as far as I know it's ancient history.