Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let them defect - who cares?

Remember - How did all the incredible Time magazine, sport, wildlife & war photo's get taken eons ago?

All with manual lenses, Match Needle, Centre weighted metering and wind on only with a top shutter speed of 1000/sec?, some even with the famous Leica rangefinders (not known for speed)

Look - if you can't get the pic of whatever with any of the brands today you need another hobby - so stop blaming the brand and practice, practice.

d

08-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote

Remember - How did all the incredible Time magazine, sport, wildlife & war photo's get taken eons ago?

All with manual lenses, Match Needle, Centre weighted metering and wind on only with a top shutter speed of 1000/sec?, some even with the famous Leica rangefinders (not known for speed)

Look - if you can't get the pic of whatever with any of the brands today you need another hobby - so stop blaming the brand and practice, practice.

d
The world has changed, perhaps you haven't noticed.
08-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #153
Veteran Member

I'm with Wheatfield on this one.

imagine if tomorrow's you have a camera with built in satellite signal for anywhere in the world wi-fi

an in camera raw processor with elaborate and intuitive jpeg controls, and a white balance that doesnt suck.

imagine you are in a warzone, and you cant bring the camera up to your eye because there are bullets flying abouve you or the simple fact that you even have a camera could get you into serious trouble.

ohh, and its pitch black outside,

if you are lucky, you can use live view to somehow get good framing

but even more so, you probably are going to have to run as fast as you can shooting off 9-10 frames a second and hope to god that the auto-focus actualy focuses where you would like it to focus, all the while the gyro-encased digital sensor is set so that it its always parallel to the ground so you get framed shots no matter where the camera is..

all the while you are chatting commentary into your microphone which is connected to the camera

all of this is processed and sent to BBC or whatever and the world knows about something before the military HQ does!!

think about that one for a second.

in todays world people take pictures using their phones and send it all around the world within seconds.

and you dont want our reporters to have the same flexability?

whats that? you shoot exteriors for a marketing firm and you have a 5 day deadline, you have 2 days left because the weather didnt permit you to go outside, and you have to be on the plane back to hand in your shit.

where are you going to develop your film? in the plane bathroom? ask the stewardess to give you an extra 5 blankets so you can fiddle with a development canister in your seat?

the world is moving at a speed faster than most of us can comprehend... as much as it sucks, that is how it is.

and technology will follow

so we should all get used to it, even if half of this crap MAY be usless to SOME of us.

Last edited by Gooshin; 08-27-2008 at 12:04 PM.
08-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #154
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
I'm with Wheatfield on this one.

imagine if tomorrow's you have a camera with built in satellite signal for anywhere in the world wi-fi

an in camera raw processor with elaborate and intuitive jpeg controls, and a white balance that doesnt suck.

imagine you are in a warzone, and you cant bring the camera up to your eye because there are bullets flying abouve you or the simple fact that you even have a camera could get you into serious trouble.

but even more so, you probably are going to have to run as fast as you can shooting off 9-10 frames a second and hope to god that the auto-focus actualy focuses where you would like it to focus, all the while the gyro-encased digital sensor is set so that it its always parallel to the ground so you get framed shots no matter where the camera is..

all the while you are chatting commentary into your microphone which is connected to the camera

all of this is processed and sent to BBC or whatever and the world knows about something before the military HQ does!!

think about that one for a second.

in todays world people take pictures using their phones and send it all around the world within seconds.

and you dont want our reporters to have the same flexability?

whats that? you shoot exteriors for a marketing firm and you have a 5 day deadline, you have 2 days left because the weather didnt permit you to go outside, and you have to be on the plane back to hand in your shit.

where are you going to develop your film? in the plane bathroom? ask the stewardess to give you an extra 5 blankets so you can fiddle with a development canister in your seat?

the world is moving at a speed faster than most of us can comprehend... as much as it sucks, that is how it is.

and technology will follow

so we should all get used to it, even if half of this crap MAY be usless to SOME of us.
You can pull the card out of the dslr or video camera and up link the images via satellite now. All the camera really needs is a blue tooth setup to a satellite phone.

08-27-2008, 01:16 PM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You can pull the card out of the dslr or video camera and up link the images via satellite now. All the camera really needs is a blue tooth setup to a satellite phone.
yeah buts thats TWO devices

again i'm just playing devils advocate, i dont really care, i'm somewhat satisfied with my current setup

and its more about the lack of lenses (all of them! muahahaha)
08-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #156
Inactive Account

Of course in your scenario, when some decidedly unfriendly character pops a stolen nuke artillery round a few miles away and the EMP wipes out all the electronics because your camera wasn't shielded and your link to the BBC is severed, you at least have a large and heavy former camera to swing when the gomers get rowdy.

Or you could pull out that MX backup, load it and keep shooting. So it's not instantaneous, you still got the shots.

CW
08-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote

d
I agree with you. Anyone who has seen Cartier-Bresson ,Eisenstadt pictures....most taken with meter less Leicas (they used hand held meters or just knew) knows that a good camera is a tool.

How that tool is used determines how good the picture will be.

You can use a Nikon D700, D300, top Canon, Pentax K10D, K20D...all cameras with absolutely marvelous picture taking capability technology....much higher than an old Leica, which is essentially a light tight box, with manual shutter speed and F-stop controls. Albeit the Leica is a tremendous light tight box, but still very basic.

But if you aren't much of a craftsman, it doesn't matter whether you use a 50 year old Brownie, 70 year old Leica Rangefinder, or a modern to this minute, Pe/ca/on
digital SLR --your pictures will be dreck.

In the end, as the old saying goes.....a good craftsman, never blames his equipment, he learns how to use it, to the best of his ability.
08-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #158
Veteran Member

EMP Shielding?

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Of course in your scenario, when some decidedly unfriendly character pops a stolen nuke artillery round a few miles away and the EMP wipes out all the electronics because your camera wasn't shielded and your link to the BBC is severed, you at least have a large and heavy former camera to swing when the gomers get rowdy.

Or you could pull out that MX backup, load it and keep shooting. So it's not instantaneous, you still got the shots.

CW
I can see it now. The next generation of protection, EMP Shielding plus weather seals. Only a direct hit from a 100 megaton warhead will distroy your new Pentax

08-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #159
Veteran Member

To Dylansalt,
Think about what you said. Back in those days if you had a clogged artery you were dead meat! Today it is a routine fix. Wanna go back? As for me I really like the new improvements in equipment and look foward to more of them. Sure I can still get excellent shots with old manual cameras and film but I can get some shots today that were nearly impossible back then.
08-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #160
Site Supporter

yeah buts thats TWO devices

again i'm just playing devils advocate, i dont really care, i'm somewhat satisfied with my current setup

and its more about the lack of lenses (all of them! muahahaha)
One bullet could result in the loss of, camera, video, and communication.
08-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote

CW
thats not the point, the point is that the technology exists, is advancing, and is usefull, or at the very least could find a use.

ever glance at the Iraq war casualty charts from the US side, you think thats cuz they have good physical training? or cuz they have good equipment, weapons, and mechanized support?
08-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #162
Veteran Member

To Solarisdreams;

I've been on this forum for a while and read through some heated arguments, but people stayed mostly civilized toward each other. So far, I've seen two threads where you are heavily involved, and every time somebody doesn't agree with you, you retort with name calling and insult. As far as I am concerned, civilized people can disagree with each others opinion or point of view and still respect each others. For what it is worth, calling somebody a Canadian, in my book, is a compliment. WHO MADE YOU GOD? What I see about you so far is a 5 year old kid throwing a tantrum every time his mother says "no". Maybe you should try to grow up a little bit before continuing discussions with other people. Grown ups can accept different point of views. One thing that is also disturbing is the fact that some people who are generally very sociable to each others are going down to your level.

PLEASE, GENTLEMEN, LETS STAY CIVILIZED!
08-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #163
Veteran Member

i think he is banned
08-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #164
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
I can see it now. The next generation of protection, EMP Shielding plus weather seals. Only a direct hit from a 100 megaton warhead will distroy your new Pentax
I think we just came up with the new design and ad campaign for Pentax. EMP shielding and autofocus/autotargeting lenses with built in mini Nikon seeking rocket launchers. ROFLMAO

CW
08-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #165
Site Supporter

thats not the point, the point is that the technology exists, is advancing, and is usefull, or at the very least could find a use.

ever glance at the Iraq war casualty charts from the US side, you think thats cuz they have good physical training? or cuz they have good equipment, weapons, and mechanized support?
The answer is Both.