Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2008, 03:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My friend is a bird enthusiast.
If your friend is a bird enthusiast, he should have chosen a Nikon D300 (if he likes Nikon that much) to take advantage of the longer reach offered by lens used on an APS-C sensor. Chasing bird with a D3 or D700 is more like saying : "look at what I can afford!"

08-23-2008, 05:18 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Is it me, or have you noticed that there seems to be quite a few people defecting to Nikon, particularly the D700, lately?
I think it only seems that way because we hear about the defections, but not about those who opt to stay with Pentax. It's part of the price to pay for worldwide communication. Kinda like hearing about a child abduction that makes world news and starting to believe that it's a huge danger, when in reality, our kids are at greater risk of falling off the swingset and breaking their necks than of being abducted.
08-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #18

Apples and Oranges

It makes total sense that people who want a better camera would go to Nikon.

It seems like the D3 and D700 are the ones to beat...

But, we're talking about a PRO camera with a PRO price.

If you're going to be spending money on a new camera, 99% of the time you would be looking to upgrade.

Without a doubt, I know that a BMW would be a better vehicle than my Ford.

But I don't want the payments

Which reminds me... A top of the line Nikon body and lens setup would just about be the price of a small car, lol
08-23-2008, 07:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Changing brands isn't going to change the outcome of your images.

08-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Pipe dreams? I hope not. If Pentax is unable to meet that challenge, they will either be out of the camera business or reduced to making cheap consumer point 'n shoot cameras for K-Mart.

that's an utterly ridiculous statement in every way.
08-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think it only seems that way because we hear about the defections, but not about those who opt to stay with Pentax. It's part of the price to pay for worldwide communication. Kinda like hearing about a child abduction that makes world news and starting to believe that it's a huge danger, when in reality, our kids are at greater risk of falling off the swingset and breaking their necks than of being abducted.
They are?!?

c[_]

08-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
So changing from a Holga to a Pentax isn't going to improve anything? How about from a Petri to a Canon?
Changing brands my not improve YOUR images.
I changed from Nikon to Pentax, and definitely changed the outcome of my images.
At the moment, Pentax has a decent midrange camera body with the K20. Midrange is not the same as top end, however.
If a person makes a decision that their photography needs a higher specified body, they haven't got much choice but to change brands.
My friend is a bird enthusiast. It isn't all he does, but it is an important part of his photography. He gets far more in focus shots with his Nikon than he got with his Pentax, simply due to the performance limitations imposed by the consumer level performance that Pentax is confined to because they don't have a competitive body in the high performance market.
It's really too bad, as their lenses are certainly up to the task.

08-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's interesting that the guy is comparing a 5000$ FF pro body with 650-1200$ midrange aps bodies. I hope that a D3 is much better than a K10D/K20D. But is it really better on everything? The K20D has more MP, meaning that in some conditions it will have better details. It also has in-body stabilization giving the possibility to get incredible low-light shots with a wide aperture prime.
08-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I have to agree with that 100% until one knows that the limitation is not within oneself; Wheatfield, may be not in the case of your friend - but many out there who are quick to blame the camera for poor pictures.

Also. there is no need to justify anything to anyone when one feels it better to switch from Pentax to Nikon for his/her purpose. Let them go, save all those high quality lens for us on this board so we can get them at fire sale price.
08-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd buy a K20D + Grip and a 50-135 f/2.8 lens. That's my dream walkaround kit; since most of my shooting is done between these two focal lengths.
08-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

Pipe dreams? I hope not. If Pentax is unable to meet that challenge, they will either be out of the camera business or reduced to making cheap consumer point 'n shoot cameras for K-Mart.
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that's an utterly ridiculous statement in every way.
Ummm...I was thinking of various slr camera brands that were popular in my youth such as Praktica. Seen a new Praktica lately? The are still made. You can view their product line here:

PRAKTICA: Neuheiten

Quite simply, if your customers start buying from someone else, you either have to do something to retain your customers or shift your market focus.

Steve
08-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
There is no accounting for making a bad buying decision. Anyone that can't recognize that a D700 class camera is way to much camera for chasing butterflies with deserves a sore back and an empty wallet.
But, if you need the performance that a camera of that class can provide, then it's what you need.
My friend is a bird enthusiast.
There's a big difference between chasing Butterflies and dragonflies. Especially if one is going after some of the big gomphids, aeshnids, or some of the rare ones. If a person needs a good image they need a good image. However, I think a k20d would be a stellar choice. However, I got the k200d for such things. I can handle dropping it in the river much more than I could the k20d.

Edit: The big thing is that with a big tripod setup, it would be good to have a second body and lens to use for mobility but he is already at 7+ pounds.
08-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
It's interesting that the guy is comparing a 5000$ FF pro body with 650-1200$ midrange aps bodies. I hope that a D3 is much better than a K10D/K20D. But is it really better on everything? The K20D has more MP, meaning that in some conditions it will have better details. It also has in-body stabilization giving the possibility to get incredible low-light shots with a wide aperture prime.
I agree completely. I am tired of hearing complaints that the K10D or K20D isn't as good as certain Nikon or Canon bodies that are three times the price. I'm sure Pentax is capable of producing $5000 camera bodies if they could turn a profit doing so. If I had thousands of dollars burning a hole in my pocket I might own one of those high end cameras but I don't. I do have a very good camera that has shake reduction, weather resistant body and excellent lenses at decent prices.
08-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I'd buy a K20D + Grip and a 50-135 f/2.8 lens. That's my dream walkaround kit; since most of my shooting is done between these two focal lengths.
Same here.. Am really into portraiture so the range really works for me.. The DA 16-50mm though can be my travel lens.. ;D
08-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #30

MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!
The root of all this comotions!