Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
..perhaps you can answer this....

Since most of your glass is manual focus, why do you care about AF speed?

(Odd but I am SURE I have seen that same photo before......)

By the way I think its about time you had a garage sale. Best glass in the world? Have you ever TRIED a Canon 70-200 F4? All major companies have some excellent lenses but Canon has the highest ratio of "highly recommended" on Photozone. And you call ME a fanboy? And yes I have all the LTDs and the FA* 300F4.5 and 200F2.8 and yes they are very good but there are a number of Canon and Nikon fast teles which are at least as good or better.

And as I belong to a fairly well established photo club I get to shoot all kinds of gear. I am far more impressed with the Hassy H3DII-39. If you want image quality forget any 35mm based camera right now. I also note you can pick up a H2DII-31 with an 80mm lens for not much more than a 1DS mk3.

Personally I think Pentax should go for the 645 and s*d Nikon. 9fps? Yes, very nice but completely irrelevant for anything I am likely to shoot and true for 99% of photogs. Besides Pentax no longer make any fast long tele lenses (primes or zooms) so its not exactly the perfect tool for birding or sport but it does the job for casual work. And whats the frame rate on your 67?

Besides I thought you shot in a studio. What possibly use would a D3 be in a studio over a K20D? A 1Ds mk3 I could understand but a D3? Its a photojournalist camera.

And how many Pentax cameras have ever had high frame rates? AFAIK, the PZ1P was fastest at 4.5 fps at a time when Nikon and Canon have had SLRs with 10 fps or more. The MZS was only 2.5 FPS. It didnt matter then, why does it matter now?

And since I have owned Nikon, Canon and Minolta systems over the years and could quite happily afford any camera I liked perhaps I have a better perspective on how good the competition REALLY is. And yes I do have a very decent set of Pentax lenses but I would happily eBay the lot if I thought Nikon or Canon were clearly superior.
Most of my lenses are manual focus, but that is an old picture.......
I also shoot dog sports and other fast moving subjects that give the K20 some problems with keeping up.
When i say the best glass in the world, I am speaking of the entire line. I realize that there will be individual lenses out there from other makers that can out resolve my Pentax glass, but I'll wager that Pentax glass is overall better.
I think we are in agreement on this point.
You can keep your Hassy, when I want real quality, I still have a Pentax 6x7 and a Tachihara 4x5.
With regard to frame rates, I am more interested in the responsiveness that high framerates gives rather than the high speed capture. When film cameras shot at 3fps, we weren't waiting several seconds for the buffer to clear so we could review are pictures. The world has moved on from those days.

08-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Most of my lenses are manual focus, but that is an old picture.......
I also shoot dog sports and other fast moving subjects that give the K20 some problems with keeping up.
When i say the best glass in the world, I am speaking of the entire line. I realize that there will be individual lenses out there from other makers that can out resolve my Pentax glass, but I'll wager that Pentax glass is overall better.
I think we are in agreement on this point.
You can keep your Hassy, when I want real quality, I still have a Pentax 6x7 and a Tachihara 4x5.
With regard to frame rates, I am more interested in the responsiveness that high framerates gives rather than the high speed capture. When film cameras shot at 3fps, we weren't waiting several seconds for the buffer to clear so we could review are pictures. The world has moved on from those days.
Well, I do have to agree about our opinion about Pentax glass. Probably the best two lenses I've used would be a 90 mm leaf shutter Pentax 6 X 7 lens and my old trusty standby, my Pentax 'A' 35-105 macro zoom.

My latest lens the current 16-45 and 55-300 Pentax zooms aren't too shabby either.

I include my Leica lens (Elmar) and Mamiya-Sekor medium format lenses in this comparison.
08-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
whats wrong with cranky and antagonistic?

It get's you banned from DPR. Oh, the shame of it all.
08-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I suppose we should all have to agree to be Pentax fanboys to join, and then all work our way up to being choirboys at the church of Pentax, worshiping with the zealots, and casting out those heretics who dare say anything that doesn't match the guidelines set down in the mantra of the mindless?
A little criticism from time to time isn't a bad thing, no matter what the more rabid would say.
What is really entertaining is how predictable it is when someone posts something negative about Pentax.
The same names, the same tired old Pentax apologies, the same broken record, repeating itself ad nauseum:

"if you hate Pentax so much, buy a Nikon" CLICK "if you hate Pentax so much, buy a Nikon" CLICK "if you hate Pentax so much, buy a Nikon" CLICK "if you hate Pentax so much, buy a Nikon" CLICK "if you hate Pentax so much, buy a Nikon" CLICK "if you hate Pentax so much, buy a Nikon" CLICK..........
For some reason, you appear to be a very bitter person. If you don't want to "read how predictable it is", then why do you stay here and post? Personally, I don't care what anyone shoots. I am a proud newbie that owns the K100D. And it suits me just fine.

08-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Holy Crap I like my K10D.

Just over a year ago it NEVER occured to me that I could afford a DSLR. I was just not paying attention to the prices for what you could get. I assumed that a DSLR would set me back 3 grand plus.

But for a brief time I owned the TOP of the line Pentax! For less then 700 bucks! Then the K20D was released. Oh well on top for a little while.

But to me, the K10D is just as awsome as the day I bought it, and for now, the camera does not hold me back. The introduction of the K20D, did not make my gear less.

But, the day might come where the shots I'm missing are due to the camera, and not the operator. So where do I go? Pentax does not have a camera above the K20D. If I need or want better then I need to jump ship. If I want 6 FPS, just because, I have nowhere to go. I think this lack of upgrade path has allot of people questioning the Pentax brand.

Pentax as a product line, is the weakest of the major players. Sure there is great glass, but there is no upgrade path above the K20D. Even in the glass there are big holes. Every other camera company either has a pro body, or they have one anouced. Pentax would need to be the worst run company in history to miss this point. I don't think this is lost on them (Pentax). Besides, I think Enron was the worst run in history.

We have four weeks to go before Photokina. This is the big one. This is Pentax's time to show the world they have what it takes to be considered a major player. Pentax needs to have a pro level body on the shelves shortly after Photokina.

They also need to have a "show camera". And I hope it is not the 645D yet again. They need something that will capture the interest of a wider group then the medium format crowd. The 645D is really starting to sound like the "cry of wolf". I think that a FF camera, pro level features would fit the bill. It might not be ready for sale, but it would be a great flagship camera that shows off the ideas and inovations that eventually will be found in the mid level cameras.

Pentax, as a product line, needs to show they are in the same class as the others. I think they will. Until Pentax has the top level gear, people who need (or just want) top level gear will leave for other camera brands.

Until then, wow, I like my K10D. (insert fan-boy woo-hooo here)
08-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
You cannot keep up with someone running straight at you with manual focus, as well as zoom out (if you have a zoom).
Funny, I can do that with my 25 year old vivitar tele-zoom

(Am I the only person out there who thinks push-pull zoom is a good thing?)

(Also, I'm not the best at focusing at something moving straight at me, but I'm getting better, I hope )

Last edited by nixcamic; 08-25-2008 at 11:14 PM.
08-25-2008, 11:25 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote

Am I the only person out there who thinks push-pull zoom is a good thing?

I always liked the concept. Not great when it gets worn enough that gravity does your zooming for you though!

08-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #113
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah right - if you can find one.

But modern sports photographers would have way more good photos, not just the few you have seen. I've done manual and autofocus, and, in good enough light, even Pentax's "inferior" autofocus is better than manual. You cannot keep up with someone running straight at you with manual focus, as well as zoom out (if you have a zoom). Anticipation is cool, but if every move could be anticipated it would be a bloody boring sport.
It wasn't all that long ago, sports photographers had to use a MF lens.

Having driven a few BMWs a lot, I wouldn't agree with that statement at all, well maybe YOUR Ford, don't know much about that particular one
I guess it depends on which Ford you are talking about. A GT, Mustang GT, Mustang Saleen, or Perhaps a bona fide Cobra, and a Beamer will be going backwards in the mirror.
08-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #114
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
I'm not trying to nasty / fight or anything like that. I am just curious as I seen similar comments a number of times of the past few years, so my question...

Why do you have a dslr? if you want to use it like a p&s with everything on auto etc, why not just get a good quality point and shoot?

Phil
because I need an SLR with all the customizations and lens options that come with it. however, there are always times where I don't want to fiddle around with stuff and just turn the camera on, point and shoot. if i have my slr with me which is frequently, I'd like to be able to do just that. and because pentax has an auto mode...so why not make it work like... ...auto? (duh)
08-26-2008, 12:37 AM   #115
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
So you joined the Pentax forum this month and your 10th post is to tell us all why Pentax sucks? Thanks for that.

Good luck with your D300. It's a fine camera, and I'm sure it will solve all your photography woes.
Do you need a month to figure out if your sports car blows your socks off or not? Should it really require that much work to get a great picture? Do you really need to post over 10 posts to figure out of something has shortcomings? Your welcome for that.

I'd love to save money. But if it costs me to get something I want, faster AF acquisition, better overall body IQ, more selection of modern lenses, lenses with real "SDM" (not some dinky quiet motor because they went cheap on a $999 srp lens) then I will pay it. Ultimately, you buy something to satisfy your needs. The K20d didn't, so returned it. do i wish( and think ) that pentax could have provided those features I just listed above for LESS than what the D700's (or even d300) development and product cost to Nikon was? Yes. Pentax is not stupid, they just choose not to step foot in the big 2's playing field because they are too scared to be annihilated. That's my gripe. I DO wish I was able to keep the pentax setup and put the other 1500-2000 bucks in education fund for my kid. but oh well...

btw, I switched to the D700. you may now go back to your discounting and self denial that pentax just isn't first rate gear.
08-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #116
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It wasn't all that long ago, sports photographers had to use a MF lens.

I guess it depends on which Ford you are talking about. A GT, Mustang GT, Mustang Saleen, or Perhaps a bona fide Cobra, and a Beamer will be going backwards in the mirror.
All those you mentioned are more than your average Beemer and/or are aftermarket. The Mustang GT....well maybe in a straight line to a 3 series. But when you throw in a twist and turn (i.e. moving object, lower light conditions, what have you) then your ford goes careening off the cliff (you get shi++y pics).
08-26-2008, 12:43 AM   #117
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Some of the more cranky/antagonistic ones came from DPR.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Threads like this (plus the increasing number of them) and the direction they all seem to follow are why I come here less and less. It's a shame as I used to really enjoy these forums. I'll check the POTW, some Post your Photos! and the marketplace from time to time, otherwise I think this is mostly a load of crap. I'm particularly disappointed with one recurring poster but to avoid a flame battle, I'll say no more.

But who the hell am I? Just another satisfied Pentax rookie who doesn't know any better and makes a decent $$ selling his work. Someone who must just be easily pacified with such a low level of quality.

If Pentax doesn't do it for you, then fine. No brand will ever satisfy everyone. Get the tools you need for your type of shooting. Sell what you don't like, buy what you do like. Then shut the H**L up and move on. I hear DPR is looking for new members.

Now please return to your regularly scheduled bitching.
...why don't you just "shut the H**L up and move on" if you don't like what others are posting. You don't have to click, you don't have to read, and you don't have to reply, but you did all 3. weird.
08-26-2008, 01:55 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by *isteve
Well apparently since this is a Pentax forum enough people realise that such comparisons are meaningless and bought a Pentax anyway.

Why are you here? Did you just think you should sign up to remind us all how stupid we are to buy a second rate product from a second rate company?

Sounds like it.
QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by Lance B

Succinctly put, mate.
QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by Lance B

What a load of bollocks. I think this guy is just saying all this to justify his (pricey) outlay on his Nikon gear. Sounds like technology and gear envy to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
I think your earlier quote (above) was the most succinct!
As they say, Richard, the first impression is usually the correct one.
08-26-2008, 02:10 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
I always liked the concept. Not great when it gets worn enough that gravity does your zooming for you though!
There should a couple of simple workable fixes for loosening; a nylon set screw through the slide, or a large compression nut on the back of the slide. Both of these could be user adjustable.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-26-2008 at 02:10 AM. Reason: typo
08-26-2008, 03:32 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentax is not stupid, they just choose not to step foot in the big 2's playing field because they are too scared to be annihilated.
Just curious, but how do you know this? Did Pentax tell you this? This is your opinion only, and you know what they say about opinons, right?