Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #1

Help for novice

I have a 2 year old istD and am having an intermitant problem with a lens. I am a novice so be gentle.

On some occasions when I try to use my Sigma 70-200 lens the camera will not work. The back panel will flash and the lcd display on the top will show the number of photo's available. In the display Av -- -- flashes on and off. The AF will not work nor can I get the camera to take a picture. When I install my regular lens the camera works fine. Am I changing some setting or button when removing or installing the lens that is causing this? I don't want to send in for repair if this is the case. Hopefully it is something stupid I am doing to cause this. For examole I used the camera and lens last Sat and when I installed the lens to use Sun it will not work. Thanks for any help.

08-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Make sure the lens is on the A setting, it's easy to change the setting when removing or attaching the lens.
08-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the quck response. I warned you I was a novice. How do you set lens to A ?
08-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Look on the lens closest to where it attaches to the camera you'll see it.

08-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I figured it had to be something simple but beyond my recognition. I have been bothered by this for months. Thank you again
08-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Damn Brit

No worries, glad I could help. I've done it a few times myself and now I know straight away that I've done it.
08-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to the DSLR forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
No worries, glad I could help. I've done it a few times myself and now I know straight away that I've done it.
Isn't that the truth? I've done it twice I think, and I always get the "hot" feeling in my gut thinking that my precious has died on me. Then I get that relieved feeling when I remember the aperture ring.