Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: what is the most important feature when buying a new (or used) camera?
Best Auto-focus for my budget. 810.26%
Highest MP for my budget. 33.85%
Best low light performance for my budget. 33.85%
Absolute top quality lenses are available for the system. 67.69%
Good mid price lenses are available for the system, 810.26%
I want the system with the best kit lenses.   00%
I want the smallest possible package that meets my standards. 22.56%
Overall system price for what i want is the most important thing. 1519.23%
Water resistance. 11.28%
Rugged construction. 67.69%
Best price for what it does, regardless of construction and available lenses. 911.54%
Something you didn't think of, which I've listed below. 1721.79%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it's quite that simple. I don't think you can pinpoint just one feature. It has more to do with brand perception in my opinion, and that will usually be the result of several features. For example, my perception of Pentax is that it is a company that cares about photographers. So they make cameras with good interfaces and good prices for what they offer, and that is true for the lenses as well. They seem to be designed more geared towards the way people take pictures rather than just lab results. So the combination of all these things contributes to this brand perception that Pentax does care about how cameras are used in the real world and I like that.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 09-15-2017 at 11:11 AM.
09-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Dynamic range.
09-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #18
Pentaxian

"Something you didn't think of, which I've listed below." It was a close choice between that and "Best low light performance for my budget."

It needs to be a significant improvement over what I already have. My Pentax progression went from Kr -> K5 -> K1.

The Kr was my return to photography. It was my first DSLR and a huge upgrade over my digital point-n-shoot, and over film.

The K5 was purchased primarily because of its low light and dynamic range performance. I was getting into astrophotography and the K5 was markedly better than the Kr.

The K1 offered multiple improvements over my K5. Better low light performance and several new astro-specific features. No AA low pass filter, improving sharpness for all genres of photography. Improved AF for action shots.
09-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Something not on the list... Viewfinder

A truly great camera needs a good viewfinder. Small, dim, murky, lacking contrast, making it hard to compose and focus just don't cut it for me.

I'll trade off 20 megapixels to get a clear, bright, sharp viewfinder. And I've yet to see an EVF that really does the job.
+1.

But I voted best system price for the package I want because that is always the selection process and compromise.

09-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ergonomics.
IQ is pretty consistently good across many cameras and many brands. It's hard to find a camera with bad IQ so I think that is a given.
09-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Best AF and Megapixel and Ergonomics and Viewfinder and Dynamic Range and WIFI and onboard Software and K-mount and weather resistance and ruggedness and best value for money. All of these things. It would be useless having the best AF but the poorest viewfinder. Or a high megapixel number and poor ergonomics, etc.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-14-2017 at 04:20 PM.
09-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have 3 votes for "something you didn't think of", and no other votes. I really suck at this.

Well, in that case you'd make a top notch political pollster.

09-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Other: Compatibility of the new or used camera with my current system of lenses. Essential.
09-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I chose rugged construction, one of the reasons I came to Pentax. Quality glass is very important, but I think every company has a set of high quality glass, if you are willing to pay for it. As stated before, I didn't think of interface because my Pentax cameras are so intuitive when it comes to the user interface.
09-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Totally with mohb here. A couple of years ago I would have said the viewfinder is most important. Since getting the mirrorless bug I rarely look through an OVF anymore (even my K3ii gets used mostly with live view) and what I appreciate most about cameras is the user interface, i.e. the speed and ease with which I can get the settings I want. This is a big advantage for my Pentaxii compared to the Fuji cameras I sometimes use for stereo shooting. It's also why I so prefer the Q system compared to any other compact I've tried.
09-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Up to 26 votes, only four empty categories, I don't feel so bad. Now I have to figure how to incorporate some of the answers <cough> Matk <cough. ( other votes, I feel much better.
09-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #27
Pentaxian

A viewfinder - optical or electronic - don't like composing using the rear screen.

Philip
09-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went with good mid-priced lenses, one of the main reasons I bought into K-mount (and, more recently, Pentax 645).
09-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I went for "Overall system price for what i want is the most important thing.", but it actually was the colour customisation options that brought me (and my mum) to Pentax. And a that we didn't fancy a canikon.

However the above still is valid, the price was right.

What is the most important in any camera to me though is a working shutter, but I guess that's kind of a non-answer.

Affordable lenses (old and new) is another point.

09-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #30

That it takes pictures.