Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: what is the most important feature when buying a new (or used) camera?
Best Auto-focus for my budget. 810.26%
Highest MP for my budget. 33.85%
Best low light performance for my budget. 33.85%
Absolute top quality lenses are available for the system. 67.69%
Good mid price lenses are available for the system, 810.26%
I want the system with the best kit lenses.   00%
I want the smallest possible package that meets my standards. 22.56%
Overall system price for what i want is the most important thing. 1519.23%
Water resistance. 11.28%
Rugged construction. 67.69%
Best price for what it does, regardless of construction and available lenses. 911.54%
Something you didn't think of, which I've listed below. 1721.79%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, eliminate, "Best price for what it does, regardless of construction and available lenses.", and I'd say all of the above - or it wouldn't be a Pentax!

09-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I'm going to say Menu system, Image quality, and aspect ratio
09-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The feature i look for first is the on/off button....its got to have one of those!
09-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Camera has to 1) fit my hands and have controls I can easily manipulate, and 2) have a viewfinder with specs good enough my odd eyes can use with no/ minimal issues.

09-14-2017, 10:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These days, the image quality is pretty good from most cameras. So, I put lenses. That is mainly because I like nature photography and a quality long lens is a big draw for me, and is something I am looking for in my next camera system. I would put low-light performance next on the list because these days I've basically maxed out the abilities of my current camera (K-50). By the way, the K-50 is still an awesome camera, and even though I am currently looking for an upgrade, I am going to keep it until it dies because in the domains that it excels, it produces wonderful pictures.
09-15-2017, 12:22 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dynamic range (second would be lens quality)
09-15-2017, 01:16 AM   #37
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

When I bought into Pentax my entry level Nikon had been stolen with 2 lenses I had. I read quite a lot reviews before I made my mind and came to conclusion that Pentax offered most for the money for still photographer. I don't do video, so it has zero value for me.

Now, after about 4 years with Pentax, I believe I came to right conclusion. The strengths of Pentax suits my needs and the weaknesses of the system are totally irrelevant. I'll stick to Pentax until this changes. This is just a hobby for me and not even the one where most of my money goes, so I wont by the best equipment. I want system that satisfy my needs as cheaply as possible.

I voted for the best price, but in truth I'm looking for best value for me.

09-15-2017, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Call me perverse, but since they stopped using JCII stickers, I always look for the Doomed sticker on any camera I buy.
09-15-2017, 01:57 AM   #39
Pentaxian

To me it's the whole package that are most important.
It not the 99 great features that matters most, it the 1 bad feature that going to make the difference.

The weakest link need to be as strong as possible.
09-15-2017, 02:18 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
ergonomics - if I cannot get comfortable in the camera's operation, I'm not going to want to work with it....
I agree. Every spec in the poll makes sense but It turns out to be useless if I am not comfortable using the camera.
09-15-2017, 03:07 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Good controls and user interface, if it's not good to handle then all the other technical marvels are irrelevant.
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Shutter release
These two replies on the first page tie into my own. Ultimately, IMO, the picture quality relies on the photographer's ability to manually choose the proper balance between ISO, Shutter, and Aperture for the effect desired I waited to buy a DSLR until one that was fully manual was available at a reasonable price, and the K-5 was the DSLR I purchased. That it was compatible with the lenses I already owned, and had great features and performance, was gravy. If there'd been a DSLR equivalent of a K1000, that's what I would have purchased.

None of this implies that I don't appreciate the support and options a modern DSLR gives a photographer, Av is my most used setting when walking around.
09-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Dynamic Range & superb jpg image processing.
09-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ultimately = WILL I USE THIS CAMERA and if I do, will I be happy with the images it captures?
09-15-2017, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

My choice was: I want the smallest possible package that meets my standards.

...but this choice is kind of an open answer; my standards include most of the other things on the list. I have a K-1, despite it being quite a bit heavier than I like; I would definitely go for a smaller/lighter version of K-1, but probably not if it sacrificed the rest of "my standards".
09-15-2017, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
My choice was: I want the smallest possible package that meets my standards.

...but this choice is kind of an open answer; my standards include most of the other things on the list. I have a K-1, despite it being quite a bit heavier than I like; I would definitely go for a smaller/lighter version of K-1, but probably not if it sacrificed the rest of "my standards".
That's always the problem, isn't it?

I want what I want, except to have what I want I can't have what I want.